The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early '50's Magnatone student guitar/amp combo questions
Shaun Barnes

Kona, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 4:15 am    

Howdy! I'm looking for my first steel and came across this classic combo on a neighbor island. I Really love their sweet sound and he's willing to negotiate some on price. Comes with original case, says its in good conditon

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/msg/d/kihei-1950s-magnatone-lap-steel-guitar/7042577979.html (Note the stringing technique;)

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Strangely there aren't many steel players around here..

- Is this a decent deal? If not, what is a fair price?
- I believe the amp has no power transformer, should that be a concern if the pickup is sealed under the MOTS? (couldn't find a discussion that specifically answered this)
- What else should I look out for when I see it in person?

(I am a gigging fiddolinist, usually smaller venues and when I get confident enough to incorporate steel in our sets, would likely be mic-ing the amp)

This forum is pretty incredible btw, I'm brand new and very appreciative!

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 5:34 am    

Well I am familiar with those amps , and consider them to be a serious shock hazard . If you buy , make sure that the amp gets checked and brought up to current electrical safety standards.
They are cool looking though. About 4 watts power output.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 5:51 am    

The price is fine for the set, but the transformerless amp is a bit of an issue. I'll let someone more experienced with the circuitry chime in with the details, but they have an inherent risk of giving players high-voltage shocks that can't be fixed due to the design.

The pickup under the MOTS isn't an objective problem like the amp, but these models tend to have weak output because the pickup is that much further from the strings. They're also hard to fix should the wiring need maintenance.

John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 7:13 am    

The design of the amp (sometimes referred to a a widow-maker)was commonly used in radios etc. and does not meet today's standard for safety but as long as it is verified to be in good condition and with a simple mod or two should provide reasonable service for the home user. Like many older designs that have been abandoned, transformerless amps are not the first choice but we all survived using them and swing sets on blacktop, and suicide doors on cars and lawn darts, etc. With responsible use (no steel playing in the bathtub) you will not die.
Two things I would always do (after the usual checks) would be to be sure which ac wire is hot and which is ground and put a polarized plug on it so it is always plugged in the right way an PUT A FUSE IN THE HOT WIRE. Many of these are not even fused!

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 11:23 am    

If you can find the matching toilet seat the set would be worth even more. Very Happy
Kidding aside, I love MOTS.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 11:56 am    

The price is ok. For reference I sold an identical set last year for $300. I'd say for sure you'll want to at least install a 3 prong plug in the amp and it would be a good idea to have a tech go through it to make sure everything is up to spec.

The pickup is underneath the MOTS so it's not adjustable. These pickups can be on the bright side and setting the tone at around 3 ish usually works best for me. The matching steel and amp combo is cool and will give a great vintage tone, but you may find using a more modern amp more practical and less prone to electrical issues. Enjoy!

Shaun Barnes

Kona, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 1:11 pm    

Quote:
"If you can find the matching toilet seat the set would be worth even more. Very Happy"
-lolol. Strange things do happen!

Thank you for all these wiser words! I'm going to look at it this evening

I do have a much safer tube amp on long-term loan to use for bathtub playing Wink

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 1:42 pm    

Shaun i just bought a 1950 Supro comet lap steel in white MOTS. That finish is really tuff.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2020 1:54 pm    

These steels are a lot of fun.. I like the tone.. you do generally need to roll back the treble a bit. I like the raised palm rest on the body as well.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 4:45 am    

Especially for a first steel...I'd keep that amp in retirement, and get a small modern amp in the meantime. Something basic and cheap will suffice while you learn...

Are you planning on playing Hawaiian music or another genre? I think you may have just missed the big island steel guitar fest last month in Waimea, would highly recommend checking those out if you get a chance (steel players in Hawaii are an endangered species but still there).

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2020 4:38 pm    

I think that's a little expensive for the guitar... these usually go for less. I paid 300$ for a comparable Supro guitar and amp, and the amp worked fine and was not unsafe, see below.

I love the little amp... but it needs two things at least: a) an isolation transformer and b) a three-wire cord.

I'd say it's well worth the 100$ it's going to cost you to get that amp up to today's safety specs. Find a good tech and pay them! But don't pay 400$ for the pair unless this is just island prices.

Shaun Barnes

Kona, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2020 12:57 pm    

The guitar is in pretty amazing shape though is much more red than the black/grey amp, they are def not a matched set but no biggz.. He came down a decent amount on his price, which seemed more fair. The guitar works great and both pieces are remarkably clean.

I've got a vintage Peavy tube amp on loan for a year that sounds gorgeous

Nic- I had gigs and commitments on the festival dates and couldn't make it, which was quite painful. I'm foremost deeply enchanted with Hawaiian style steel vibe and feel like it's a tragically scarce art form around here; and since I'm in the neighborhood, should soak up as much of it as possible and help keep it alive!

All genres of steel excite me though. I play rootsy/americana/folky/bluesy/rock on fiddolin, almost entirely by ear. I just strung my new little buddy with a fresh set of C6 strings and barely have a sophomoric grip on theory so we'll see how this goes Very Happy

Thank you again for all the hand-holding, all of y'allz input is appreciated more than I can say!