The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a new pedal steel
Drew McGrath

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 11:06 am    

Hey everyone. I just recently sold my Sho-Bud Maverick as it took me a year to explore and inevitably acknowledge the limitations of that particular model. With that, I'm on the hunt again and I could use a little help. As far as make and model, I'm lost. A local player recommended I look into Williams and their keyless model. What do you all think about keyless steels? I'm still new to the instrument but I want room to grow. I'm content on sticking with E9 and not getting too far ahead of myself by adding in C9. As always, I appreciate everyone's time and feedback!

Cheers!

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 12:25 pm    

I have a couple vintage ShoBuds but also a GFI and EXCEL. I've had Williams keyless, too and loved it. You can't go wrong with any of those. The good thing about GFI is that there are knurled knobs for open tuning so you don't need to grab your tuning tool for a quick tweak. They all sound great,are mechanically solid. Bill Rudolph of Williams is especially good with customer service.
My EXCEL and GFI
Picture file

Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 12:26 pm    

Every single time the question of 'what steel' is asked (dozens of times) the answers become a bunch of people naming the steel that they play because....it's the steel that they play. Simply, there is not a single steel being manufactured today that is not very good with the exception of one brand that starts with 'B' that is simply not to be even considered (and I am NOT talking about BMI, the only other 'B' name I can think of). If you need clarity on this, PM me.
But I don't think you can go wrong with any current make. Williams is great. I have never had a keyless guitar so I can't comment on that.

Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 1:21 pm    

I just got a Moyo that is beautiful and plays great.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 1:40 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Every single time the question of 'what steel' is asked (dozens of times) the answers become a bunch of people naming the steel that they play because....it's the steel that they play. Simply, there is not a single steel being manufactured today that is not very good...

I would agree, except that there are several pull-release guitars still being produced. While some players may like them, I would not consider any of them as "very good" simply because the all-pull technology has become the accepted standard these days.

As far as brands, I don't recommend any one brand. Pick one and start playing; the brand you play will never make you good or famous...you have to do that. Winking

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 2:24 pm    

If you are going to buy a new guitar, congratulations. All I have got to say about that is that most of the top players here on the forum have done exactly that for their most cherished and important instruments at one time or another. Any of the existing manufacturers make outstanding products - Williams, MSA, Mullen, GFI, Sho Pro, etc; So its a question of taste and budget. (And weight if you start gigging out !) Your biggest choice is Universal 12 string vs 10 string single neck, given that you say you dont want a double neck. If you want a single neck you should have at least 3 x 5; 3 pedals and 5 knee levers. Also there are choices such as lacquer on natural wood vs. mica and how it looks. Keyless vs. keyed; A universal presents more learning challenges now, but more opportunities later, so that’s a big choice. A majority of players have a single 10 string E9th neck or SD 10, one neck on a double frame, with a minimum of 3 x 4 pedals and levers.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 5:02 pm    

Try out as many as you can find and then decide. If you can attend the steel show in Texas this March, a lot of manufacturers have displays you can try. Plus you can hear and see the best players on earth. It's an experience like no other. I don't know your location but a few dealers have multiple units at their shop for sale. There is steel shows all over the nation that you will benefit from, check the Event announcements.

Michael Meader

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2020 5:21 pm    

I bought a used William's keyless about a year ago. I thought it was very nice, held tune well, smooth playability. I'm still in my newbie stage, but I was impressed enough that I wanted to purchase a brand new William's. I chose a keyed head, but couldnt be happier about the guitar.

I'm sure there a several other builders that are very nice aswell, I just happen to choose William's.

Drew McGrath

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 9:44 am    

Thanks guys. Since I can still play the newb card, I ask: I see that a lot of the SD 10's have only 3 pedals and several knee levers. I know that not all copedents are the same, but are there any that serve well for the "modern player"? By that, I'm referring to playing style. I like playing anything from country to simple, modern leads like that of Ryan Adams and The Cardinals that you hear on the 'Cold Roses' record. I'm only assuming that when I see guys playing the single necks, that if they have more than 3 pedals and knee levers, it has been modified. Sorry for the loaded reply. I am 30 minutes south of Cincinnati Ohio in California, Kentucky. I'm only 5 hours north of Nashville and pretty centrally located in the midwestern region. I will have to keep a lookout for steel shows in the region..Since selling my Sho Bud, I'm itching to get back on another pedal steel and continue learning.

*Thanks for sharing the pictures Michael and K Maul*

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 10:27 am    

Offering this on the forum for sale.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 10:28 am    

Offering this on the forum for sale.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 10:32 am    

Here’s a steel that just came up for sale on the forum that I would consider!

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2020 10:37 am    

Do you want to play rock? If so, you might want to get a 12 string, which will let you play power chords. If not 10 strings will suffice.

As has been said by others, everybody (except thr B brand referred to earlier) makes fine steels thesedays, and you're going to get a good one no matter which one you choose. It's a matter if finding the one that appeals to you the most.

The best thing to do is attend the show in Dallas and check out all the different ones.

There are also some good used ones for sale here on the forum.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2020 2:08 am    

Of course many will reply with all sorts of recommendations.

How about start with "How much you gonna spend " ?

Are U buying a Ferrari or a Kia because they are both very functional cars !

Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2020 6:55 pm    

Quote:
A local player recommended I look into Williams and their keyless model. What do you all think about keyless steels?

I don't know what to think about them, I've never owned one. But I do know they're not very popular. Confused

Drew McGrath

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2020 6:56 pm    

Great point, Tony! I'm looking to stay under $3000 preferably.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 2:21 am    

Drew McGrath wrote:
Great point, Tony! I'm looking to stay under $3000 preferably.

$3K ! Nice budget ! Now the games can continue !

For a really nice S10, this is an excellent budget.

Its wide open for a nice PRO S10 probably 3+5 maybe even 4+5. At your pierce a hi quality USED Steel is in the cards, any of the major players.

I would stay with an ALL PULL, I prefer a KEYHEAD , Minimum 3+4 preferred 3+5. Adding a lever later, any brand , can cost $200 or so.

Carters (very small parts underneath ) Emmons, Sho Buds, MSA's , Justice, Rittenbury, Derby, Williams, Zum, Sho Pro, GFI, Excel, etc... any and all will serve you just fine for a very long time. YEARS.

At your price point, used, you can grab a very nice PRO instrument, not a student Instrument.

Don't be afraid to snag a D10 , plenty of great deals. And who knows, maybe one day....

Easy to turn around later in life. If you happen to see a nice Steel fro sale at a nice price, DON'T wait and poinder, it will be gone. Check the Forum each morning early . Forum Members are excellent to deal with.

There are several nice Steels for sale at and under your price range, do not be afraid to grab a clean D10.

tp

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

George Crickmore

Myrtle Beach South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 9:03 am     Re: Looking for a new pedal steel

Drew McGrath wrote:
Hey everyone. I just recently sold my Sho-Bud Maverick as it took me a year to explore and inevitably acknowledge the limitations of that particular model. With that, I'm on the hunt again and I could use a little help. As far as make and model, I'm lost. A local player recommended I look into Williams and their keyless model. What do you all think about keyless steels? I'm still new to the instrument but I want room to grow. I'm content on sticking with E9 and not getting too far ahead of myself by adding in C9. As always, I appreciate everyone's time and feedback!

Cheers!

Rarely will you ever break a string on a keyless steel.

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 11:53 am    

If you like Cold Roses, you don't even need pedals. That's all Cindy Cashdollar on a D8 non-pedal

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 12:13 pm    

As has previously been mentioned, everybody will recommend whatever they play. I play an MSA.

I suggest the Zum Encore. It has everything you will ever need. The more expensive guitars have a lot if bells and whistles, but not a lot of essentials. It will serve you for at least 10 years, and I believe they only cost about $1,500 although I could be wrong about that.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2020 2:47 pm    

IMO, ignore advice to the effect that "You should buy this specific brand/model/year/whatever guitar." There are a lot of variables that any player - and especially any new player - should think about before pulling the trigger on any pedal steel. One size does NOT fit all, not by a long shot.

This is a topic that comes up once or twice a week - there are probably tens or even hundreds of thousands of words written on this forum over the last two decades about what guitar to buy under various circumstances. You should carefully search the forum for relevant threads - the forum search is OK but a google search for relevant search terms (in quotes if you get too many results) with the added tag site:steelguitarforum.com will give you a lot of fodder. For example, the search tags (no quotes)

pedal steel buying advice site:steelguitarforum.com

gives 764 results, and looking some over, many are very relevant. Changing search terms will undoubtedly give other distinct results.

Here are a few recent ones:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=353398

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351993

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=337773

One of the most important things that I think gets overlooked in many discussions about what steel to buy is ergonomics. This can be especially vexing if you're outside the normal height range, either taller or shorter. If that's an issue for you, here are a few threads on that subject that I would strongly recommend you chew on before making decisions:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=354285

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=347958

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=347979

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2020 5:08 pm    

Modern steels in general usually go for a smaller body size so if your tall take this into consideration. Keyless can get really short. Not all company websites actually get too deep into the dimensions so do some homework first.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 5:55 am    

Drew,There are a whole bunch of good steel guitar makers out there these days,I'm about to get my first Keyless guitar,been at it forever...in no particular order
Mullen,MSA Desert Rose,Justice,Williams,Sho-Pro,Rittenberry,Excel,Jackson,Fessenden,
Good luck!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 7:07 am     Re: Looking for a new pedal steel

George Crickmore wrote:
Drew McGrath wrote:

Cheers!

Rarely will you ever break a string on a keyless steel.

I've yet to break a string on my Emmons Legrande, fwiw. but many players and builders do prefer keyless guitars for several reasons. I've owned both and don't really have a preference although changing a string on the fly can be a little more complicated with a keyless.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2020 8:40 am    

Hey Drew.

Any chance you can attend the Dallas steel guitar show in March? Nothing like being able to sit on a few different makes to see how they fit you as well as their sonic differences.

I would recommend recent makes that are still building and offer support. Some of these are Mullen, Justice, Williams, Show-Pro, BMI, Jackson, MSA, GFI. Zum licensed Stage One entry level and upgraded Encore models.

I owned a Williams keyless guitar a few years back. Great guitars. The keyless feature allows for a shorter, lighter body. It's easy to get used to stringing up too. Some like keyless, some don't. I've had both and would say the keyhead feature would probably be the last thing I'd discriminate on. I can play either just fine.

I would also suggest a good complement of pedals and levers.

If you start out with 4 pedals and 5 levers, you will have a guitar that will let you do just about anything you hear on recordings.

I wouldn't rule out a modern used model like Carter, Derby etc. but you need to make friends with some knowledgeable players in your area to help you ferret out future problems and condition of anything you are considering. Do your homework and try, hard as it is, to be patient finding one that suits your needs.

Some of those older 30 and 40 year old guitars can have mechanical and playability issues that might not be apparent on first look.

There are several players in the northern Ky, Cincy, Lexington region.

Best of luck.