The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shoulder injury = better technique
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2020 5:56 pm    

Did you know that screwing up your shoulder can actually help your right hand technique? I do now!

I went shoulder first into the ground while skiing today. Luckily, it looks I didn't break my collarbone or tear a rotator cuff... but man does it ache when I try to raise my right arm. I'm still somewhat comfortable when sitting with my arm pinned to my side though.

I was planning on having a singer-songwriter friend over tomorrow to work on accompaniments for some his songs. I sat behind my steel to see if that's something I'd still be able to do. Lo and behold, my arm injury causes me to have to strictly follow the classic technique of immobilizing my right arm against my side. Tomorrow's session will be a nice back-to-the-basics exercise! Very Happy

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 6:40 am    

Maybe it's time to switch to cross country skiing from now on Shocked

I had a similar thing happen recently where I altered my posture slightly during playing which significantly decreased my chronic shoulder/neck pain while playing. NICE!

Good luck with your recovery. And be patient...sometimes even small shoulder injuries can take many months to fully heal.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 10:09 am    

Get well soon!

If it doesn't get better soon, the other thing that could be impacted is A-C joint, the little ligament between acromion and clavicle, I've had problems with those.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 3:43 am    

Gene Tani wrote:
Get well soon!

If it doesn't get better soon, the other thing that could be impacted is A-C joint, the little ligament between acromion and clavicle, I've had problems with those.

AC joint injuries are very common in skiing. I have injured both of mine mountain biking before. First time I bruised my rotator cuff and took 4-6 weeks to get back to 100%. The next one, I completely separated the AC joint about 2 years ago. It was a lady in the parking lot of the trails who was a ski patrol in the winter that looked at the new bump on my shoulder and told me it looked like an AC tear cause she had seen so many on the ski slopes. She was right too. At the direction of my shoulder guy, I opted out of surgery. I have the telltale bump of an exposed clavicle, but I was back to 99.9% within 6-8 weeks. If it’s still hurting in a day or two, I suggest a visit to an orthopedic surgeon for an x-ray just to be sure no other issues. Shoulders take a lot of time to heal. I bet you’re looking at 6-8 weeks recovery time.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 8:53 am    

Thanks guys!

How do I tell the difference between a rotator cuff sprain and an AC joint injury? The symptoms I have now is some swelling on the top part of my shoulder and a decreased range of motion in my arm that I can push through with some pain. If my arm is resting downward, I feel very little pain at all.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 9:45 am     shoulder pain

I think if it still hurts after a week and *reasonable* doses NSAIDS aren't cutting it, consult a PT and /or othopedist, I would go to PT first.

I hope it's not the AC, i had surgery to correct it one side, not very pleasant, so I put off surgery on the other side forever.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 1:52 pm    

Curt Trisko wrote:
Thanks guys!

How do I tell the difference between a rotator cuff sprain and an AC joint injury? The symptoms I have now is some swelling on the top part of my shoulder and a decreased range of motion in my arm that I can push through with some pain. If my arm is resting downward, I feel very little pain at all.

X-ray is only way to tell. Don't put it off, go see an orthopedist.

If the "swelling" is in the same area as the bump you see on my shoulder in the pic, go to a doc and get a picture.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 6:53 am    

Justin Emmert wrote:
X-ray is only way to tell. Don't put it off, go see an orthopedist.

If the "swelling" is in the same area as the bump you see on my shoulder in the pic, go to a doc and get a picture.

Yikes! I don't have that. Mine is just general, run-of-the-mill type swelling. I've been getting more range of movement back each day, so I'm being stubborn about going to see a doctor. Let's see if I end up regretting it.

Another plus side of this is that it caused me to take my lap steel to a practice session instead of my pedal steel. I hadn't used it in a while... and never really played it much since buying it to begin with. It was a nice little bit of forced experimentation.

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 9:16 am    

Good luck with it Curt. Shoulders take a a good long while to heal.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 11:53 pm    

Curt,A few years ago My right shoulder got nailed by a big metal door that I had flung open loading in equipment at a club in Anchorage Alaska...I was in severe pain for a few days eventually I went to an acupuncturist four times,never felt that pain again,My pain was whenever I tried to lift my right arm over my head.feel better.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 11:21 am    

It appears to be healing fine and the swelling is draining out. I've got a dull, constant ache that I didn't have before, but I'm telling myself it's a healing kind a of pain, lol. I read online that at some point I should focus on exercises specifically aimed at tearing apart some of the scar tissue that develops as part of the healing. That sounds like it's going to suck.