The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wife just bought me a steel
Jake Galambos

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 9:34 am    

I hope this is the right location in the forum for this.

My name is Jake and I just got a pedal steel from my wife for my birthday. It's a Carter Starter 3x4. I'm a guitar player by trade, and I've wanted to get into steel for the last 10 years or so, but never felt I could justify the expense.

I've started working through "Deluxe Pedal Steel Method" published by Mel Bay, but in searching this forum I found references to a "Winnie Winston" book, a "Mickey Adams" book, and Jeff Newman "Up From the Top". Anyone have recommendations one way or another? The Newman sounded the best to me, because it was described as being mostly about backing up a singer. Also, where on earth do I find those? I honestly went with the Mel Bay because it was on amazon.

My goal is to be able to use the Steel as another texture in recordings. I write and record a bunch of demos and I'd ultimately like to end up being able to add this new thing in to the mix Smile

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:33 am     Winnie Winston book

Hey Jake,

I actually really value the Winnie Winston book still:
https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Book-CD/dp/082560169X/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=pedal+steel&qid=1580754657&sr=8-2

I think you can PM Mickey Adams for his book. Its really good, but i feel like the Winnie book covers a bit more of the general pedal steel mechanic stuff which can be helpful to a starter.

Good Luck,
Jon[/url]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:37 am    

For whatever it's worth, I learned from Winnie Winston's book.

One thing: you have a knee lever that lowers your 4th string. Winnie's book was written at a time when student model steels did not have that change. So, you have an advantage, but also a bit of a challenge as to when to use this, instead of playing the 2nd string, which is tuned to the same note as the lowered 4th.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:37 am    

Jake, I'm posting for your info my ad being published in the show program for the March 2020 TSGA Steel Guitar Jamboree. If you have high-speed internet, Skype is a great and convenient way to learn, and I have a thorough curriculum to help beginners. I've also guided quite a few 6-string players on their journey branching out into pedal steel guitar.

If you prefer live lessons, then I highly recommend my buddy and awesome player Rick Schmidt, he has dual citizenship in both Phoenix and Prescott. You can find him on Facebook and here on the Forum, or contact me and I'll put you in touch.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:43 am    

Winnie's book is also on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Book-CD/dp/082560169X

But there are several steel guitar vendors scattered around the country. You can find them in the Links here on the forum. It would be nice if you would buy the book from one of them, and keep it in the family.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 10:54 am    

I can vouch for John. He is both an excellent player and teacher. I've met 2 of his former students, and they both had nothing but good things to sat about him.

And Rick is simply awesome. He has forgotten more about the steel that I will ever learn.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 11:10 am    

Jake-

Check out this: Paul Franklin E9 Pedal Steel Basics

And you might read this: A New Era

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 11:40 am     Steel lessons

Hey Jake,check out WILLIAM LITAKER.COM ,20 bucks a month great lessons,you will learn a lot ,of technique exercises,intros,complete instrumentals,also tracks,full video from
You tube.dozens of WILLIAM LITAKER videos on u tube
Lh

Last edited by Larry Hopkins on 3 Feb 2020 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Rene Brosseau

Chatham,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 11:44 am     Wife

Your wife bought you a steel ??? Does she have a sister? LOL? I started with Winnie, but I would suggest YouTube these days...find something that inspires you !
Franklin #130, Melobar Skreemer, Wechter Scheerhorn Resonator, Nashville 112, Boss DD 3 &/or Profex II

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 1:10 pm    

You have it made now a days. Was very little around when I started. YouTube is a great place. I taught myself playing along with LP albums of George Jones, Merlr Haggard and Conway Twitty.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2020 6:15 pm    

In your post you advised you are a Guitarist, I would suggest a Mel Bay's E9th Steel Guitar Chord Chart. This will allow you to become familiar with how to make chords on a steel, And allow you to transpose a lot of your guitar knowledge to the steel guitar. This will help you understand what instructors are showing in their classes.
Look it up on the internet, About 10 dollars.

Jake Galambos

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2020 10:37 am    

Thank you all so much for the feed back!

Jake Galambos

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2020 8:37 am    

I think I got an idea of what I'm doing moving forward, and have my little practice routine mostly mapped out. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in.

John I'd love to get a lesson going, even just one to make sure I'm not doing anything technique wise that will really bite me later. I'll reach out to you in the next little bit.

Thanks again,
Jake

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 8:26 pm    

I had the Winnie book, but never bothered with it. I just taught myself how to play. Been alotta years now.

Mike Beley

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 9:26 pm     Re: Wife

Rene Brosseau wrote:
Your wife bought you a steel ??? Does she have a sister? LOL?

You need to get a lawyer ASAP!
Any wife that would buy her husband a steel guitar is definitely up to something. Obviously trying to distract you or keep you locked up at home "practicing". Laughing