The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cakewalk (Sonar) New 2020-01 Update
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 3:07 am    

Release Notes (2020.01)
Features & Enhancements
Multi-timbral soft synth enhancements. The new Instrument Track Per Output option in the Add Track menu and Insert Soft Synth Options dialog box for multi-timbral soft synths that support multiple outputs. It pairs a MIDI track with a separate audio output track (mono or stereo) for each synth output, assigning sequential MIDI channels. This allows you to have multiple Instrument tracks for a single instance of a synth.
MIDI chase is now supported for VST3 MIDI event buses that support it (e.g. Vienna Symphonic Library).
Show/hide Aim Assist text in Time Ruler (go to Edit > Aim Assist > Show Aim Assist Time or press ALT+X).
CPU metrics in Performance module. Diagnosing glitches in audio playback is now easier with the new Engine Load and Late Buffers metrics in the Control Bar's Performance module tooltip.
Experimental aggressive task scheduling model. We continue to work on improving our multi-threaded engine performance and have added a new 'aggressive' task scheduling model. The aggressive task scheduler utilizes more efficient task management that can result in better multi-processing and fewer thread context switches. The new scheduling model is activated by setting the ThreadSchedulingModel value to 3. This can be done via Edit > Preferences > Audio - Configuration File.
The Duplicate Clip command now respects Snap By.
Bug Fixes
WASAPI Exclusive mode fails to open inputs on multi-channel audio devices.
Cannot open some audio devices such as Roland Octacapture as 16 bit in WASAPI Exclusive mode.
WASAPI Shared mode kills audio in other apps.
Edit tool has inconsistent drop arrow in Mercury theme.
MIDI Chase should support VST3 event bus.
Duplicate Clip command doesn't obey Snap By, only Snap To.
Split tool uses fade-in curve for both fade-in & fade-out.
CPU meters do not work at buffer sizes lower than 1 msec.
Audio engine won't restart when changing latency while Preferences is open.
Scan of VST3 folder should only scan .vst3 files.
Potential crash on app shutdown.
Plug-In Browser search is not functional with FX Chain presets

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 10:37 am     Thanks For Announcing The Update Jack

Jack,

Thanks for announcing the January update is released. That make two updates in two months. While BandLab has not released an update every month they haven't missed many.

As each release offers a good number of bug fixes it is becoming more and more obvious the underlying Sonar platform was not very stable. While I never experienced issues I'm learning Sonar developed a poor reputation because of instability issues. I'm so grateful BandLab has prioritized stability and is allowing the developers to concentrate on making the platform stable in addition to adding enhancements.

I like how Cakewalk is making each update available for test purposes for a week or two prior to the official release. The positive and negative feedback has proven useful a few times where the official product differed from the initial test product.

I also like how aggressive the developers are at following up with each Cakewalk forum post concerning crash concerns.

If Cakewalk keeps this mode of operation the software will quickly become the most stable DAW in the industry. Wouldn't THAT be a nice reputation to have?
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 1:39 pm    

Jim, I only use Cakewalk like a multi-track recorder. I've used a MIDI track two times since I started computer based recording (I started with Sonar 6). I haven't experienced a lot of the problems that are fixed. I had a Melodyne license before it was incorporated into Sonar versions and I have Izotope Ozone (5,6 and the latest 9) for mastering.

One of my "repeat" clients was retired Nashville songwriter and major label producer, Jimmy Peppers. Peppers was also George Jones' band manager from 68 to mid 70's (and was Jones' harmony singer). I've done 12 or 13 song demo CD's for him. Jimmy succumbed to cancer about a year ago. I learned a lot about recording from Jimmy who learned from big time producer Billy Sherrill.

Mack Quinney

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 12:45 pm    

Jack,
I have an older version of Cakewalk Sonar. It no longer has a way to bump tracks or the entire mix to a MP3 file. Do you have any insight on this? From what I read, Cakewalk did not purchase the license to do this.

Mack

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 4:07 pm    

I never bought the MP3 converter that Sonar offered. I remember something about the patent for the MP3 converter expiring and because of that they weren't going to offer it.

I have "Goldwave", an audio editor. I save mix/mastered songs as wav files and if I need an MP3 I use Goldwave to convert to MP3.

http://www.goldwave.com/goldwave.php

I also have an older version of Sony Sound Forge Studio and it too will convert (save) as MP3.

There's other free MP3 converters around.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 6:02 pm    

Cakewalk will export to MP3

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2020 6:58 pm     MP3 Codec Available From Cakewalk

Once the US MP3 patent expired, Cakewalk released the MP3 codec as a free download. The announcement is here: http://www.cakewalk.com/mp3.

I signed into my old Cakewalk account, entered my email address, unchecked the "news" checkbox and clicked on the link but haven't received an email.

I've brought up your question in the new Cakewalk forum here: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/11243-mp3-encoder-availability/

Per CbB forum moderator, scook, you're best bet is to email support@cakewalk.com.

Meanwhile, you can give this link a try: [url]Cakewalk Mp3Activation.exe[/url]
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW