The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA new 10-6 guitar coming 2020!
Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2019 5:51 pm    

MSA is building a new guitar in 2020 called the ten- six. 10 string in front and 6 string on back ie dobro. Furthermore it is engineered to fishman pickups on the back neck for a more dobroish sound

Here’s a link
https://youtu.be/wYwkgEhGdr0

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2019 8:55 pm    

Yep. My design, or I guess I should say it was my idea. Sonny had to actually design it. Haha. I have had a lapsteel with standard electric pickups and piezo pickups in the bridge since 2011-2012. I have used it as a dobro plugged into the Jerry Douglas Fishman Aura pedal ever since then. The audio on the video is me playing that setup. That’s what the back neck of the new guitar will sound like. Gonna be awesome, and make life easier for guys who carry all of those instruments to gigs. Now they can all be on one instrument.

-t

Ben Godard

Jamesville NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 2:48 am    

Awesome!! I’ve got a feeling this is gonna be great thing. I am gonna have to invest in getting one. Smile I’ve always wanted a guitar with E9 on front and dobro on back. I’m sure many steel players like myself have occasionally dropped the C6 tuning and replaced only 6 strings and play it like a dobro through a match-bro, boss GE-7, or similar pedal

Looking forward to having one of these. Please put more videos out on it as it unfolds!!!!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 7:45 am    

Ben Godard wrote:
Awesome!! I’ve got a feeling this is gonna be great thing. I am gonna have to invest in getting one. Smile I’ve always wanted a guitar with E9 on front and dobro on back. I’m sure many steel players like myself have occasionally dropped the C6 tuning and replaced only 6 strings and play it like a dobro through a match-bro, boss GE-7, or similar pedal

Looking forward to having one of these. Please put more videos out on it as it unfolds!!!!

Will do. I’m sure there will be no shortage of posts, videos, etc, when we get it done. It’s for sure a problem solver for a lot of guys, including myself. To a guy like me who plays a lot of actual good sounding dobros very regularly, I’ve never been able to stomach the MatchBro, EQ pedal, etc approach. None of them sound even remotely like a dobro to me. They’re missing all of the real characteristics. Very uninspiring to play. This is definitely not that.

-t

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 10:01 am    

MSA's guitars are currently very much on my radar; if I were to buy a new steel now I'm pretty well convinced it'd be an MSA. This announcement could be the clincher!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2020 11:21 am    

That is really authentic Travis. The timbre is so close to a resonator guitar, that you would be hard pushed to differentiate it in a mix with other instruments and vocals. Even on its own it sounds great, as does the Show Pro Cat Can. I think that MSA and Show Pro are the top two manufacturers currently, and I'm proud to own both.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 6:11 am    

I’d be interested in seeing that lap steel and how the piezo pickup is installed. Can you blend the pickups or is it strictly either/or? Years ago I had a GFI with a half pad which I removed and installed a dobro neck using an old Teisco microphonic pickup. It had a very dobro-ish sound but also sounded great with overdrive. Never should’ve turned that loose!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 9:50 am    

Years ago, I remember seeing pictures of steelers putting one of those Duane Marrs "Cat Can" guitars in place of the back neck on their pedal steel.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 10:29 am    

Could be a real game changer for guys whose regular gig doesn’t call for c6th. Reso and lap is very prominent in modern music. It could open up more opportunities for gigs as well as recruiting a younger generation of steel player. I like the possibilities. 👍

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 10:30 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
That is really authentic Travis. The timbre is so close to a resonator guitar, that you would be hard pushed to differentiate it in a mix with other instruments and vocals. Even on its own it sounds great, as does the Show Pro Cat Can. I think that MSA and Show Pro are the top two manufacturers currently, and I'm proud to own both.

Hey Ken. Yeah, the thing about this is that it IS an image/sample of a dobro. If you’re not familiar with Fishman Aura technology, you can research those products and understand better what’s happening with this guitar.

-t

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 10:44 am    

Travis - thanks for the clarification. That reproduction is as good as any top grade microphone could reproduce. I’ve just had a look at the Fishman Aura web site. Think I’ll pull the trigger and fit out my Hudson pedal resonator. I’ve steered clear of the alternate graphic equaliser boxes as they don’t reproduce the tones of a resonator at all. The best options I’ve tried up to now is the Schatten bug type pickup, but it feeds back at fairly low volume.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2020 12:44 pm    

Ken Byng wrote:
Travis - thanks for the clarification. That reproduction is as good as any top grade microphone could reproduce. I’ve just had a look at the Fishman Aura web site. Think I’ll pull the trigger and fit out my Hudson pedal resonator. I’ve steered clear of the alternate graphic equaliser boxes as they don’t reproduce the tones of a resonator at all. The best options I’ve tried up to now is the Schatten bug type pickup, but it feeds back at fairly low volume.

Ken, just be aware that the Aura stuff really wants to see a piezo signal as an input. It does not work nearly as well with other types of input signals.

-t

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 2:59 am    

Totally convincing, I would never have guessed that it wasn't a real acoustic resonator guitar!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 7:12 am    

Here's a close up of the the Jerry Douglas model that Travis referred to. A really cool looking box. Could well be the answer to my problem of a pretty good piezo transducer made by Schatten that I fitted to my pedal resonator. The downside is where the useable output of the Schatten is limited.

However, there is a figurehead box called the Fishman Aura Spectrum (see below). In my studio I have some acoustic steel and nylon strung guitars, resonators and banjo, that are fitted with piezo transducers. The Aura Spectrum would be a more useable option as a high fidelity D.I. box for all of my acoustic instruments. The 'bluegrass' setting is ideal for resonator guitars according to the Fishman web site.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 7:37 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Here's a close up of the the Jerry Douglas model that Travis referred to. A really cool looking box. Could well be the answer to my problem of a pretty good piezo transducer made by Schatten that I fitted to my pedal resonator. The downside is where the useable output of the Schatten is limited.

However, there is a figurehead box called the Fishman Aura Spectrum (see below). In my studio I have some acoustic steel and nylon strung guitars, resonators and banjo, that are fitted with piezo transducers. The Aura Spectrum would be a more useable option as a high fidelity D.I. box for all of my acoustic instruments. The 'bluegrass' setting is ideal for resonator guitars according to the Fishman web site.

The Spectrum is a nice unit, it does have resonator images in it, and you can download more from user sharing, etc. That being said, the ones in Jerry’s pedal, to me, are a good bit better. There’s a licensing deal with Jerry, where the only place you can get those images are in his pedal. They’re not available on the Spectrum, or any other Aura product. Just an FYI. Like I said, the ones available are likely certainly good enough for a lot of people, but what you hear in the video is one of Jerry’s images. If you need more solutions than just dobro however, the Spectrum is probably the smarter buy. It IS nice, and has considerably more features (tuner, feedback elimination, etc) than Jerry’s model.

-t

Jeff Heard

Lopez Island, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 10:50 am    

Travis, are you using the Fishman spider pickup on your lap steel or a regular guitar under-saddle piezo?
Thanks!

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 11:27 am    

Jeff Heard wrote:
Travis, are you using the Fishman spider pickup on your lap steel or a regular guitar under-saddle piezo?
Thanks!

On my original lap steel, I had a custom bridge made that has an under the saddle type application. On the new MSA, it is individual saddle pieces, each with their own piezo element.

-t

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 5:57 pm    

How long until we can see some photos ?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 6:27 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
How long until we can see some photos ?

Body is being built as we speak. Not too much longer.

-t

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 11:48 am    

I have both the Spectrum and the JD pedal. I am primarily a dobro player so I use them both a lot. The Spectrum images are good and I find myself using that one in most cases because it is one pedal that does many things well. The JD pedal needs a preamp,etc altho the images are a bit better.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2020 6:17 pm    

Travis -

I recall a YouTube video a few years ago of Nashville Player with such a setup - perhaps backing up female artist like Martina McBride?

(Couldn't find that video today)

Will Dobro neck be equipped with Pedals ala Peda-Bro?

That would be the cat's meow.

Thanks for sharing of your info

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 8:33 pm    

Sounds amazing ! Hopefully string tension and spacing will be like a dobro. Will it have seperate outputs to run into DI's or separate amps? Also can it be used as a lapsteel , which might mean two outputs. It would be cool to have the option of a couple pedals on it. Great idea !

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 9:31 pm    

Bruce Bouton wrote:
Sounds amazing ! Hopefully string tension and spacing will be like a dobro. Will it have seperate outputs to run into DI's or separate amps? Also can it be used as a lapsteel , which might mean two outputs. It would be cool to have the option of a couple pedals on it. Great idea !

Hey Bruce! Yes, it’s a Gibson (dobro) scale length, and the spacing will be in that frame of mind as well. I will definitely have multiple output options (jacks) happening.

-t

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 9:32 pm    

Ron Funk wrote:
Travis -

I recall a YouTube video a few years ago of Nashville Player with such a setup - perhaps backing up female artist like Martina McBride?

(Couldn't find that video today)

Will Dobro neck be equipped with Pedals ala Peda-Bro?

That would be the cat's meow.

Thanks for sharing of your info

No pedals on the 6 string neck.

-t

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 29 Feb 2020 11:30 am    

Any update available?

Dallas?