The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bar diameter
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:20 am    

Hi Folks,
I have been working out a solo for our version of " Sing me back home".I am using pedalled open and barred strings which are slid to give Melody notes.
My question is do you find it is easier to use this technique on a smaller diameter bar to avoid accidentally engaging strings that should be played open.I use a large diameter BJS which gives a superb tone / sustain ,but is a bit unforgiving in the open and fretted notes application.
Dave

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 7:05 pm    

Over 25 years with a BJS, 3-1/4, 1 inch dia. bar.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:35 pm    

I'm still mainly using a 7/8" Sho~Bud bar that I bought in 1966. I have many others, from 1/2" up to 1 1/4", but this size allows me to move quicker than my bigger bars, and still gives plenty of sustain. Cool

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 10:15 pm    

Dave,

If you are playing only one fretted note and an adjacent open note, you might try tipping the back end of the bar upwards so you are playing the fretted note with the rounded nose of the bar.

- Dave

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 10:18 pm     Bar Diameter

I have always used a 1" bar. I got a 7/8" bar in a trade once, I gave it to my cousin.
When I played 10 string E9th I used 1"X3 1/4" bars.
December 2017 I went to 12 String Uni. I went to a 1"X3 3/4" bar. By the way my hands are I have more control over a 1" bar. I can grip the a 1" bar low without touching the strings. This allows me to grip slightly below the center of the bar, Which gives a wedging effect, And makes for a very firm grip that gives me better control on the bar. This bar weighs 7 1/2 oz. and takes no to little down pressure.
If I ever have hand problems I will not go to a smaller diameter bar, I will drill out the 1" bar to make it lighter, but stay with the 1" diameter.
At my age, Anything I can use to my advantage I will.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 8:21 am    

Hi again guys.Thanks for your replies.
I play 2 strings with the bar against an open string.So bar has to be pretty flat.
I found an Ernie Ball steel I forgot about.Lighter and thinner ....not as good sounding ....but for this solo is a lot easier to execute without catching the open string.
Regards Dave