The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First lap steel for beginner
John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 12:43 pm    

Hi all:

I've been playing electric for about 30 years, square-neck dobro for about a year. I'm interested in trying out the lap steel for blues, folk, rock, etc. But I'm a little overwhelmed by all the choices and could use some advice. I'd like to keep it below $500.

I see a lot of vintage options - Supro, Magnatone, Valco, etc. - but don't know what to look for (or avoid). They look sweet though!

I also new production options like Chandler and Morrell.

Would really appreciate your advice! Thanks.

-John

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 1:18 pm    

Welcome to the Forum, John. Some of the vintage options are a good buy. You might want
to add vintage Silvertones to your list. Most would probably be within your budget.

The Forum is a great source of friends and information.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 2:40 pm    

Vintage guitars can be a good deal, definitely.

A few things to consider...how many strings and what scale. From the styles of music you listed, I think you can get by with a 6 string. This definitely widens the net of available guitars out there. If you wanted to play Hawaiian, jazz, western swing, you might want to think about 8 strings but blues/folk/rock, a six string is likely all you need (note you can certainly play those other styles on 6 string too, I'm just saying the extra strings are more used/useful in those styles).

For scale, my opinion (which is mostly just preference) would be to avoid the very short scaled instruments (20-21") which includes the cheaper Morrell steels and the Rogues. There are kits to extend the scale of the Rogue (which certainly has a cheap pricepoint, in its favor). But I think you'll get better tone and sustain out of a longer scale instrument, my preference is 24.5" give or take a bit but lots of people love the 22.5" scale (the typical reason is to make slants easier, but for rock/blues/folk, you may not be doing as much of that).

I've been tinkering around with playing steel in a rock context (Zeppelin's Since I've Been Loving You is a lot of fun to play) and the other thing I'd mention, when you start chucking extra gain and overdrive onto the signal, you may want something with a humbucker in it so you are not subjected to high-gain 60 cycle hum from a single coil. But that's a personal preference thing, it's not like no one has ever thrown distortion onto a strat pickup or P90 before, haha!

If you've come from squareneck dobro land, one example I can think of would be Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe. They started in bluegrass as the Lovell Sisters, she was playing dobro in the typical open G tuning. She transitioned to using a Rickenbacker bakelite "Panda" when they formed more of a rock/blues band but kept with the open G tuning. A Ric Bakelite may be slightly overkill for a first lapsteel...but if you're used to dobro tuning now, there's no reason you have to change the tuning going to a lap steel. A player's familiarity with a tuning tends to be a lot more important than what the tuning is ultimately (I play blues rock in C13, not most people's first choice for the style!).

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 3:43 pm    

Great advice from Nic, but here is one more suggestion, Why not make your own, and while you are at it, why not make your own Music too.

Here is one of Mine, a copy of a National Dynamic 23 inch Scale. You can see the Guitar at the Video end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlEbmQ6GrwI&t=24s

James.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 3:55 pm    

James, nice to see you post.........hope you are doing well.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 6:15 pm    

Any of the old Valco made “mother of toilet seat” 6 strings with the string-through pickups are good places to start.
So that’s
National
Supro
Airline

Possibly a few others too. Usually available for around $250-$400
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 6:23 pm    

With your background in music, I'd get a Gibson Console Grande. If you go the vintage route be careful to get one that's original and ready to play. There are good deals if your not in a hurry. 😉

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 9:43 pm    

I have a Rukavina and a Sonny Jenkins, great builds, there's a rukavina in the "For Sale" now.

I would have bought a Melbert from http://www.melbert.guitars/home.html but the other 2 came up first.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 4:40 am    

So if your cap is at $500.00 then you are out of the really cheap, beginner stuff and into some good, used stuff territory. The Valco's are a good idea and have killer pickups for blues-rock, a Fender Champ would be great and i think there's one on eBay around that price with no case. A Cole Clark Lap dog is a newer Ric knockoff that would be great if you can find one.
I have a Cole Clark like this and it is excellent. Mine has a horseshoe pickup instead of a humbucker but its otherwise the same.
https://reverb.com/item/26715485-cole-clark-ld1h-lap-dawg-lap-steel-guitar

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 8:18 am    

If you're handy with tools, lap steels are fairly easy to rehab. Vintage models are also at high risk of being stripped of their fittings by the ever-growing community of guitar scavengers. In the last decade or so I've purchased several lap steel carcasses cheaply, and brought 'em back to life with both new and scavenged parts. Without fail they make wonderful instruments. Here is one of the latest:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352654&highlight=ultratone

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 9:50 am    

Come to think of it, there are just so many to choose from that i can understand being intimidated. Maybe you could pick one out that you're interested in and ask what the folks here think of it (before you buy it) Wink
I see a few on eBay that look like good starters.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 12:22 pm    

I have never been lucky enough to buy a vintage instrument that didn't need work.

John Wedeles

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 12:47 pm    

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I am not much of a tinkerer and not too handy, so I think I'm leaning towards a new production. Think I might end up with a Melbert!

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 4:05 pm    

The majority of vintage lap steels are doing fine with all or mostly original components and no need for serious work. Unlike a regular (Spanish) electric guitar, relief or twisting of the neck is a non-isssue. Neck resets aren't a consideration. Fret wear doesn't happen (even when you have actual frets, which is rare on electric steels). That leaves scratchy pots, buzzing nuts, and wiring failures - all of which are easy to determine by playing, or asking a few basic questions of an online seller. In other words, you don't need to be a tinkerer to pick up a vintage steel. It's nowhere near the risk of picking up a vintage round-necked instrument, and even that is greatly overstated on the internet.

In that price range, you'll get more bang for the buck in a vintage steel than a new one any day of the week. That's not to disparage any current builders, just a factor of the (very reasonable) price point.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 4:13 pm    

Noah Miller wrote:
The majority of vintage lap steels are doing fine with all or mostly original components and no need for serious work. Unlike a regular (Spanish) electric guitar, relief or twisting of the neck is a non-isssue. Neck resets aren't a consideration. Fret wear doesn't happen (even when you have actual frets, which is rare on electric steels). That leaves scratchy pots, buzzing nuts, and wiring failures - all of which are easy to determine by playing, or asking a few basic questions of an online seller. In other words, you don't need to be a tinkerer to pick up a vintage steel. It's nowhere near the risk of picking up a vintage round-necked instrument, and even that is greatly overstated on the internet.

In that price range, you'll get more bang for the buck in a vintage steel than a new one any day of the week. That's not to disparage any current builders, just a factor of the (very reasonable) price point.

I heartily agree with this, if you buy a vintage steel that is advertised as working by a seller with good standing i dont see how you could go wrong. My first lap was a pre war Ric model 59, worked great once i sprayed out the pots, second was a '50s Fender Champ that needed nothing and there have been many more with little or no issues.

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 5:52 am    

Do a Google search for Supro Jetairliner,watch the vids.If a new one sounds good to you imagine how a vintage steel will sound.theres plenty for sale online.
ALOHA

Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 10:40 am    

Get one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Recording-King/Lap-Steels.gc

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2020 6:53 pm     Melbert

One more vote for a Melbert!

Steven Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 6:33 am     Melbert

You cannot go wrong with a Melbert. I just gigged out with mine for the first time this past Saturday and it sounded great! Bob puts an excellent George L's pick up on his steels and the build is top notch. He is also a good man to work with.

Bernard Coyle

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2024 2:16 pm     best lap steel guitars

what foot pedal would you recommend and what lap steel guitar is the best