The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  - MIDI 2.0 Unamiously Adopted at Winter NAMM 2020! -
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2020 2:24 pm    

At the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) annual meeting during Winter NAMM 2020, MMA members unanimously adopted MIDI 2.0 specifications including: MIDI Capability Inquiry, Universal MIDI Packet (UMP) Format and MIDI 2.0 Protocol, MIDI CI Profiles Rules, MIDI-CI Property Exchange Rules, Property Exchange Foundational Resources and Basic Resources. Here's why MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advance in music technology in decades.

MIDI 2.0 Means Two-way MIDI Conversations

MIDI 1.0 messages went in one direction: from a transmitter to a receiver. MIDI 2.0 is bi-directional and changes MIDI from a monologue to a dialog. For example, with the new MIDI-CI (Capability Inquiry) messages, MIDI 2.0 devices can talk to each other, and auto-configure themselves to work together. They can also exchange information on functionality. MIDI 2.0 gear can find out if a device doesn't support MIDI 2.0, and then simply communicate using MIDI 1.0.

Higher Resolution, More Controllers and Better Timing
MIDI 2.0 re-imagines the role of performance controllers, the aspect of MIDI that translates human performance gestures to computer data. Controllers (CC) are now easier to use, and there are more of them: over 32,000 controllers, including controls for individual notes. Enhanced, 32-bit resolution gives controls a smooth, continuous, "analog" feel. New Note-On options were added for articulation control and precise note pitch. In addition, dynamic response (velocity) has been upgraded. What's more, major timing improvements in MIDI 2.0 can apply to MIDI 1.0 devices. In fact, some MIDI 1.0 gear can even "retrofit" certain MIDI 2.0 features.

Profile Configuration
MIDI gear can now have Profiles that can dynamically configure a device for a particular use case. If a control surface queries a device with a "mixer" Profile, then the controls will map to faders, panpots, and other mixer parameters. But with a "drawbar organ" Profile, that same control surface can map its controls automatically to virtual drawbars and other keyboard parameters. A device can also map to dimmers if the profile is a lighting controller. This saves setup time, improves workflow, and eliminates tedious manual programming.

Property Exchange
While Profiles set up an entire device, Property Exchange messages provide specific, detailed information sharing. These messages can discover, retrieve, and set many properties like preset names, individual parameter settings, and unique functionalities. Basically, everything a MIDI 2.0 device needs to know about another MIDI 2.0 device. For example, your recording software could display everything you need to know about a synthesizer onscreen, effectively bringing hardware synths up to the same level of recallability as their software counterparts.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 5:06 am    

Thanks for the info Jim, interesting...The first question that crossed my mind was 'What happens to MIDI 1.0 devices?'. As you would expect (hope?), they are still supported. Found this diagram with some useful high level detail (highlights are mine).

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 6:09 pm     MIDI 1 Will Still Work

Bill,

MIDI 1.0 is one way communication around a ring where the "master" device transmits data on it's MIDI OUT port and doesn't care if it ever receives a response.

"Slave X" receives "Master's" data on the "Slave X" MIDI IN port. "Slave X" may add data to "Master's" data and transmit "Slave X" + "Master" data on the "Slave X" MIDI OUT port. At the same time the "Slave X" MIDI THRU port transmits "Master" data.

"Slave Y" MIDI IN port receives "Master" + "Slave X" data if connected to the cable connected to the "Slave X" MIDI OUT. "Slave Y" MIDI IN port receives "Master" data if connected to the cable connected to the "Slave X" MIDI OUT port.

Again the "Slave Y" MIDI OUT port transmits whatever was received and whatever it adds while the "Slave Y" MIDI THRU port transmits whatever was received on the MIDI IN port.

So the "Slave Y" MIDI OUT may transmit "Master" + "Slave X" + "Slave Y" data or "Master" + "Slave Y" depending on which "Slave X" port the "Slave Y" MIDI IN port receives data from.

Meanwhile the "Slave Y" MIDI THRU port transmits whatever data is received on the "Slave Y" MIDI IN port but does not add any "Slave Y" data,

This continues on until a cable from either the MIDI OUT or MIDI THRU port of the last device is connected to the "Master" MIDI IN port completing the ring.

MIDI 2.0 is bi-directional communication with each device talking and listening to the other devices. There can be, but doesn't have to be, a master or slave. All devices are equal.

Question 1 for any MIDI 2.0 dialog will always be, "Hello is anyone there?" The devices that respond are MIDI 2.0 while those that don't are MIDI 1.0. If there is a mixture of MIDI 1.0 and 2.0 devices the MIDI 2.0 devices will talk MIDI 1.0 to the MIDI 1.0 devices and will talk MIDI 2.0 among the MIDI 2.0 devices. A MIDI 2.0 data stream can be composed of both standards within the same data stream.

That drawing is much more understandable than what I wrote.

The MIDI.ORG website has some great articles about MIDI.20 here: https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 7:14 am    

Hi Jim,
Yeah, I know just about enough about MIDI to be dangerous. Back when I was much younger (and had a LOT more time to spend on frivolous ideas), I had access to some Motorola 8-bit micro-controller development tools. I had read up on the MIDI spec (this was about 1992-1994 time period I think), and decided that I could build my own MIDI patch change transmitter to control patches on my Alesis Quadraverb GT guitar processor.

I remember the fact that the 8-bitter didn't have a serial port (much less a dedicated MIDI port) didn't slow me down at all. Using the MIDI spec provided by Alesis with the Quadraverb, I figured out which commands I wanted/needed, coded them up, and just bit-banged an I/O pin. That little HC05 or whatever it was could barely send fast enough, but it managed.

Surprisingly, it worked pretty well on the bench, so I built a little floor box with some 'rugged' tact switches (i.e. a foot won't break them) and a couple of 7-segment displays to show current patch number. I had a routine doing key scans, another one doing LED updates, and one doing the bit-bang MIDI transmit sequence. MIDI channel was selected with a set of dip-switches the processor read on start up.. Elegant eh?? LOL.. I had that unit all the way up until 2011 when it burned up in a house fire. I hated to see it go, even though it was just sitting on a shelf in my studio. It represented a lot of 'learning'.

All that to say, that particular home-brew patch transmitter was single-ended, it just blasted the MIDI data down to the Quadraverb, and 'hoped for the best', the slave either got it or it didn't... I suppose that's the simplest MIDI 1.0 implementation possible?

Sorry, your post sent me on quite a trip down memory lane.. Smile

Jim Fogle

Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 10:09 am     Don't Even Know Enough To Be Dangerous

Bill,

That's quite a good memory. Thanks for sharing it. I believe it is fun to learn more about forum members by reading about their life experiences.

I have a few keepsakes like that. I have a large,white ceramic power insulator that is a reminder of the days I worked in a bucket truck and a battery operated flip-flop circuit I had to assemble to graduate out of soldering class. My Radio Shack "Book of Math & Electronic Formulas" is a keepsake I regularly use to this day.

The capability for two way communication between devices is what leads me to believe MIDI will finally become user friendly for the average user. If you think about it, many users can never get past the initial hurdle of successfully having the slave understand whatever message is sent from the master. That low success rate is what leads many people to believe MIDI is difficult to use and not worth the effort. Raise the initial communication success rate and the feature will become more user friendly.

Two way communication allows the master to receive data. That means the MIDI 2.0 master can interrogate a MIDI 1.0 slave device and the master can adapt to the slave. So initial connection and setup configuration will be easier and have a greater chance of communicating.

In an earlier post I linked to a MIDI.ORG webpage. On that webpage an interesting statement is given but not given the prominence it should have. I've edited the statement for clarity below:

Quote:
MIDI 1.0 messages currently are transported over (1) 5 pin DIN, (2) serial ports, (3) 1/8" Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables, (4) Firewire, (5) Ethernet and (6) USB.

There needs to be a MIDI 2.0 specification for each transport. USB is the first target for MIDI 2.0. The vast majority of MIDI products are connected to computers or hosts via USB.
There is also a statement that a USB transport committee has been assembled and the committee has already met one time.

The statement continues:
Quote:
There is a new Universal Packet Format that will be common to all modern transports that will help make this work move quicker. The new Universal Packet contains both MIDI 1 .0 messages and MIDI 2.0 messages plus some messages that can be used with both.