The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud "The Pro-I" Custom 6139 nylon tuners stuck
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 10:16 am    

Randall - One of the leg clutches on my Sho-Bud used to slip badly. A forum member suggested I turn the red plastic part upside down as a temporary fix. It worked. It will likely need replaced eventually, but it might work for a while...or not, but it's worth trying. It looks like a great guiter overall. Good luck.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 6:45 pm    

Randal, The picture of the pull rod looks to me like the nuts were bottoming out on the pull rods. I don't see threads beyond the nylon nut.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 8:43 pm    

You see all that gunk/dark part of the threads on the leg?? That; and what is inside the tightener is the PROBLEM. That gunk is metal shavings; as when one continues to tighten harder and harder; you just create more metal shavings in the threads on leg and tightener.
So CLEEEEEAAAAN the theads.....use 3&1 oil...and a rag...and go to it...clean them totally; then a bead of oil on the threads...and put back together and tighten; then try; then loosen and retighten(NO NOT WITH PLYERS>>ha..just hand)..and few times and then you'll notice it NOW tightens the leg from moving. Now if the pedal bar leg is not touching the pedal bar and the rubber leg tip....then eventually you will slip as you keep pushing down on pedals. If you are wanting to raise the guitar...you have to do it with 1" dia. 5/8" shaft collar and pedal rod extensions you can get from michael> www.psgparts.com
Ricky

Randal Birkey

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 7:26 am    

FYI - I received a reply from Steve Alban at Atlas Support that their MS-10C/MS-12C mic stand clutch kit looks like it would work based on dimensions.

https://www.atlasied.com/msc-k

However, they do not sell the individual parts separately, so to address all 4 legs would cost $33 x 4 = $132 plus tax and shipping.

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 9:05 am     legs

For not much more $$$ you can get 4 brand new legs. Shocked

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 10:09 am    

yeah so if you are not going to clean them like I've done on over a 100 Shobud's in my 20 years of restoration and NOT one has slipped after what I said to do>
Here are brand new legs for 35.00 each; and I have ordered and used them for some steels that the thread inserts were broken...and they are PERFECT and he is a wonderful supplier.
Good luck.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Steel-Legs-for-Lap-or-Pedal-Steel-Guitar/303089601681?hash=item46918c4c91:g:UVsAAMXQTgZQ-rQj
Ricky

Dean Smith

DFW, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 2:50 pm    

Ricky is correct about the lubricant and garbage under the threads.

I use a VERY SMALL amount of anti-seize compound on the threads of my legs and clutch fittings (once it is clean). AutoZone, O'Reilly's, perhaps Walmart. If you need to "show" the guitar, wipe it off and you have pretty threads and sockets.

It alleviates the problem of dissimilar metal corrosion within the threads and socket. "A little dab will do ya" is the idea with this process.

This is not an entirely clean process but that is why we put our legs in a bag before depositing them in the case upon disassembly. Use very little product.

It will work for the threads into the end plates and leg clutches. No more vice grips on the legs.

Randal Birkey

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 6:00 pm    

I have cleaned the threads on the legs and put things back together, and they are definitely improved. I can live with them for now. I am wondering though about the original reddish split rings... if maybe over time they become harder and more brittle? I wonder if a more recent polyethylene type plastic-rubber might be better... give it a better grip without wearing out too fast.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 6:32 pm    

The inner leg tubes need to be absolutely clean, and dry. Alcohol is a good cleaner. You may be able to help things by roughing up the inside of the red split ring with some fine sandpaper or similar. It needs to be clean and dry too but I don't know if any kind of cleaner is safe for the stuff. You could try a little on the outside of the ring and see how it acts, the inside of the ring is the important part, along with the bevel.

That's a really nice guitar! I'm surprised you would find one that nice with the nylon tuners in such a mess.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2020 9:45 pm    

From the picture you posted I see one thing that you may be able to do to help the clutch hold tighter.
With the Reddish Brown plastic/Rubber being over 40 years old may have changed its shape under constant pressure. To check take your fingers and squeeze it tight around the inter leg tube tight. If the ends meet tight, Remove a small amount from one side so it will collapse tight against the inter leg tube when the collar is tightened down. Good Luck and Happy steelin.

Randal Birkey

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2020 12:23 pm    

I cleaned the nylon split rings, and all the other internal parts for each leg and this has really finally made the leg mechanisms work very well. Thanks for all your great insights, suggestions and help!

I've always wanted to learn to play the opening pedal steel solo to "Teach Your Children" and so I am working on that as my first goal! Then, I'll go on and learn the full song. This is a lot harder than Dobro! Smile

I found this helpful video by Mickey Adams on YouTube - https://youtu.be/3PEOf6bGizw