The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Long or short knee throws?
Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 5:10 am    

I am curious to the pros and cons for having long throws vs short throw patterns on the knee levers. I have one guitar with real short throws and one with longer ones. Going from the long to short is easy. Going from the short to the long one takes some getting used to. Is it just personal preference or does having a longer throw give you a better sound as you raise/lower the string? Curious as to how most people have their guitar set up.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 6:45 am    

The shorter the throw, the harder the lever.
The longer the throw, the easier the lever.
No difference in tone, just player preference. Very Happy
Erv

Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 11:36 am    

Short throws are stiffer, but move the note(s) faster. Sometimes, a faster move helps. A long throw in the middle of a fast tune makes it harder to keep up with the music, and sometimes that shows.......Pat

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 3:03 pm    

The longest throw I use to have (LKL) on my U-12 was the 9th string B to D. That's a tone and a half. I no longer have that change and lower my 8th string E to D on a vertical.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 3:28 pm    

My levers all feel and move differently. Some pull only one string, and some (working on both necks) pull five. And when you think about it, there's really no good reason to try and make them all feel the same. Same with the foot pedals...some move a lot, and some move just a little. Some are harder, and some are easier. (Just like the pedals in your car or truck.) Your body adjusts, and you ignore these differences after just a short while. It shouldn't affect your playing...unless you have some sort obsessive/compulsive disorder.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 10:07 pm     Long or short knee throws?

Yes, The shorter the throw on a lever the more pressure it takes to engage the lever to reach the tuning.
The other thing that figures into setting up the knee levers on a steel guitar is the weight of the guitar. I played a 1974 MSA S10 for 17 years. It had short stiff moving knee levers, It was heavy and just set there when you used a knee lever.
I then got a GFI Ultra S12 and I wanted the short stiff moving levers I was used to on the MSA. I set it up that way and it would slide across the floor before it would reach the tune notes.
I had to move rods and make the knee levers movement longer and easier so the guitar would not move every time I used the LKL and the RKR for a note change. Took a little time to get used to the guitar, I do not notice it now.