The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks SWSGA! GREAT STEEL GUITAR SHOW!!
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 8:22 am    

Just wanted to say thanks to Troy Porter and all of the staff at Phoenix for a wonderful steel guitar show. Thanks again for having me on the show and allowing Steve and I to teach a class. Great players, good sets, and of course the BAND!!! A special thanks to Mark Abbott for playing bass on my set, Chuck Back for Lead guitar, Dan Range for drums, and Skip Edwards for piano. OUTSTANDING, every one of you guys. AND thanks to Ray Harrison for singing on my set, a 1st Class Man. Susie and I had a great time. Also thanks to Travis Toy for coming in mine and Steve's class and hanging out and teaching some speed picking!!! EXCELLENTE! Hey everyone....you've heard it before, but if you missed this show....YOU Missed it! It won't be duplicated! Have a good one!
AND....thanks to my wonderful wife..Susie T for helping me with my set lists, copies, and everythin!! SHE IS THE BEST
LT

Michael Greer

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 10:24 am    

Larry

Thanks to you and Steve for an excellent seminar.

The tabs and tracks along with your friendly and comprehensive instruction are greatly appreciated.

Look forward to future classes

Mike

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 12:16 pm     Re: Thanks SWSGA! GREAT STEEL GUITAR SHOW!!

Larry Toliver wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to Troy Porter and all of the staff at Phoenix for a wonderful steel guitar show. Thanks again for having me on the show and allowing Steve and I to teach a class. Great players, good sets, and of course the BAND!!! A special thanks to Mark Abbott for playing bass on my set, Chuck Back for Lead guitar, Dan Range for drums, and Skip Edwards for piano. OUTSTANDING, every one of you guys. AND thanks to Ray Harrison for singing on my set, a 1st Class Man. Susie and I had a great time. Also thanks to Travis Toy for coming in mine and Steve's class and hanging out and teaching some speed picking!!! EXCELLENTE! Hey everyone....you've heard it before, but if you missed this show....YOU Missed it! It won't be duplicated! Have a good one!
AND....thanks to my wonderful wife..Susie T for helping me with my set lists, copies, and everythin!! SHE IS THE BEST
LT

Always good to see you my friend. Thanks for letting me hang in your class, and also thank you so much letting me borrow a guitar to hack away at. Haha. I appreciate it!

-t

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 12:33 pm    

Thanks Michael,
Great to have the chance to get together with you and the class. If there is a song you'd like us to do, please let me know.
LT

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 4:18 pm    

I wish to also convey my thanks and kudos for a great show. Now that I am an Arizonian, I was excited when I learned about this local show. In fact, this was my first steel guitar show! I was glad to meet Fred Justice and see his guitars. Was able to attend Jody Cameron's teaching seminar. A lot to think about there. The performances were excellent (I attended the Friday session). Saw Bob Bernstein, Herb Steiner, Chuck Lettes (lap steel, terrific player!), Norm Hamlet (a classic). The backup band did an incredible job playing for a variety of performers. Really a well done show and good facilities. I look forward to next year.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 5:10 pm    

Travis,
You are always welcome at any event I have anything to do with.
You always add a highlight to the class. I always teach at Dallas,
I am wondering if you might want to help with another class at
Dallas maybe in the future? The last one was good!
LT

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 5:50 pm    

And ditto from me. Great show! I’m already looking forward to next year!

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 7:55 pm    

Really fun show this year, very musically diverse with so many incredibly talented steelers. Saw old buddies and made new friends. Big thank you to Stu, Doug, and Rick for including me in their sets -- it was a gas! Now back to the woodshed...

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 8:46 pm    

This was my first visit to the Phoenix event, and I also offer my congratulations to the organizers and staff of this superbly-run event. Probably the best sound system I’ve ever heard at a live concert, and in addition, the professional lighting, multiple cameras and large projection screen all made it more enjoyable. Great artists, many genres of music, and an outstanding backup band, with particular kudos to the two wonderful pianists, Skip Edwards and Doug Livingston. And on top of that, how about getting to hang out in one of the side conference rooms with the likes of Jay Dee Maness and Frank Carter telling stories and trading licks? Doesn’t get much better than that.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 8:55 pm    

Slim Heilpern wrote:
.. Stu, Doug, and Rick for including me in their sets

Thanks go to you, Slim, for providing the extra "secret weapon" (chromatic harmonica, not so secret anymore) that really gave a lift to our sets. I'm grateful that you were willing to learn an entirely new piece just for this event. As long as we're excited about learning new music, we ain't dead yet!

George Biner

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 10:26 am    

Norm Hamlet and his excellent younger piano/trumpet sideman Mario Carboni -- totally awesome. Norm sticks with what he knows, does it well, and it's real country.

Larry Toliver with the Infinity guitar through the Telonics 15" amp -- big lush sound, great player. He always plays at least one Ray Price number with vocals and it kills me because I never got to go to the old country shows and so I get to hear what it was like. So smooth, so powerful.

Mike Sigel -- he's had some health problems and shared a little of his struggle and his faith in God -- he sounded great and the last song he sang on -- what a fantastic voice! I wisht he had sung during the whole set.

JayDee Maness -- smooth and sweet as usual and brought his own fantastic band with Maria on the drums!

Doug Livingston -- Bach and Brian Wilson back to back! What a player -- I notice he is one of the very few to use four picks instead of three -- his piano playing is second to none as well.

Joe Rogers from Louisiana -- just great playing, effortless technique.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2020 8:41 pm    

Wonderful weekend, thanks!

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 3:45 am     Great show!

Thanks for the efforts and hard work from the SWSGA, We had a ball, or a steel of a good time! Can't wait for next year already!

"We live in Arizona now."

Payson, AZ

Mark Epstein

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 6:46 am    

As my first steel guitar conference ever, I was thoroughly impressed. The professionalism of the players, the superb band, the layout, format, etc. were all top notch.

Thanks to all of the organizers!

Durango, CO

Mullens RP
'67 Fender Deluxe Reverb (original)
too many banjos

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2020 7:52 am    

Great Show! Had a blast hearing and seeing everyone!

John D. Valiante

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 7:25 pm     SWSGA Show

Larry, I really enjoyed your seminar with Steve, especially the Memories to Burn song, a great piece...many thx...look forward to doing this again...best, Johnny V

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 10:42 am    

John Im sure you met my old buddy Donny Cook, if he hasnt moved back to Colo. say hey for me..Wish I could have talked with you.