The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin - C6th Overview
Franklin

Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 6:15 am    

Because so many are contemplating pedal tunings and copedents...I decided to lift this C6th overview from the PFM to share here. In the course, this video's purpose is to demonstrate (as an overview ) what's inside..Its just me playing and talking about the tuning demonstrating a few of its possibilities. I hope those not playing their back neck will give it another shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEJ13tDNGA&fbclid=IwAR1PYUITlKNSpymzRdCFsnLHGzSwJWIaQo91xVSVuu2Fx7Ry_S7O9LE6P1E

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 7:46 am    

Nice Paul,

Wish I were many years younger.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Tomi Graso

Sydney / Australia
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 7:36 pm    

Love it Paul, one can learn so much just by watching that video. Its a lifetime commitment to learn what you just played in that video. Thank you so much for sharing and also Thank you for sharing the lesson on Together Again solo. I just wanted to tell you this: )
I hope i get to meet you one day, Like many other steel players I am greatly inspired by your playing,

Kind Regards, Tomi Smile

Brian Robinson

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 7:29 am    

Paul, thanks a bunch.
Telonics TCA-500 Combo
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Nashville 112

Twitter: @rtechnologies

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 2:51 pm    

Man listen to those chords. Wow, that is just awesome.

Marc Muller

Neptune,NJ USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2020 7:17 am    

Awesome. Thanks, but after 40 years I'm still working on the front neck!

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 9:59 am    

great stuff Paul....love your cord voicing.along with all you do ....

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2020 9:08 pm    

As Paul gives credit to Maurice Anderson, I can agree. It is because of Paul and his playing many years ago I became familiar with Reece Anderson.
Paul’s teaching of chord substitution and correct voicings are impeccable.
There has never been such a course for those who wish to play the C6th tuning.
Paul’s method is easy understandable and so great to hear. It’s worth it just to hear Paul play!😊

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2020 6:10 am    

Beautiful, Paul. Always inspirational to hear you play. Parts of this video (minus the instructional aspect) remind me of the tail end of Tommy's E9 video in which he plays a drop-dead gorgeous C6 improv (I think it was on "The More I See You"). Both of you guys are too much. Thank you both for sharing your expertise and insights. It's a long way from the days when players would hide their copedants from others and even detune their guitars when they went on break... Shocked

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 6:57 am    

This is just terrific stuff. A lot to digest just in this snippet. I can only imagine the wealth of information overall.

I'm so glad to see this attention toward the C6 tuning of the double neck steel.

Maybe this will give those D10 players who don't realize the value of the C neck impetus to get more involved with it...or at least prevent them from trashing their back neck.

What a treasure is Paul Franklin and his unselfish contribution to helping others become better players. Thank you sir.

Franklin

Post  Posted 24 Jan 2020 8:45 pm    

Thanks for listening and for all the kind words....The C6th tuning is awesome, as is the E9th. I am focused on introducing whats possible on both. There is a new generation of musicians interested in learning this contraption. I hope to open their eyes towards this truth. "Playing more is not difficult, it just takes learning how to learn music" ...What a great instrument we play!

Paul

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 6:15 pm    

Paul, thank you for doing this. Just now signed up for the C6 Essentials Course. I've been playing C6th since day one but never spent the time with it that I did with the E9th. Looking forward to becoming a better C6th player..

Franklin

Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 8:55 pm    

Thanks Wally, I think you will like it. Its an essential overview of the neck whereas the deeper stuff is in the PFM...So I would fold it in to the main course once your ready....

I believe viewing the C6th as a single tuning confuses everyone....
The E9 is a single tuning where it takes pedals to change the tuning....
The C6th without any pedals is a three chord tuning.
Its C6/9, Fmaj9, and Amin7th

Approaching the C6th like we do the E9 left too many players very frustrated, to the point of dismissing the tuning as too hard...With questions like where's the 4 chord pedals etc and no instruction out there explaining the theory behind the tuning...Jerry Byrd was a genius!

On the C6th we just need to memorize all the grips for each of those tunings and armed with the interval knowledge, the pedals reveal themselves for what they do musical which is to add all of the altered intervals....The C6 essentials takes you to that view point so you can start seeing and playing the instrument like a piano.

A pianist sees theory on the keys....Its very hard to see theory on E9 which is why so many avoid learning it....On the C6th its easy to see how to build chords because all of the intervals are easily seen just like a piano.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2020 6:02 pm    

That's great Paul, I'll definitely upgrade to the PFM again later. I did it when it first came out but got busy remolding our house so missed a lot the first year. Although much of the essential overview C6th includes things I've known for years I felt like for the price it would be worth picking up on the things I may have missed while learning or forgotten through the years. I hope players considering your courses will realize what an incredible bargain they are. The PFM is a great piece of work, looking forward to getting back to deeper C6th soon.. Thanks again..

Franklin

Post  Posted 2 Feb 2020 5:42 pm    

That's awesome Wally...Thank you for studying with me!
Paul

Sharon Frances

Elk Horn, KY 42733
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2020 4:58 pm    

Paul Teaching is amazing. My daughter playing with pedal steel improves a lot. Thank you Paul for continuous guidance with Sharon playing. Paul Franklin Method is the best to learn about Pedal steel guitar playing. Highly Recommended for sure! - Grace