The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knurled slide
Paul Spafford

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 3:09 pm    

Back in 1992, I bought an ancient lap steel even though I didn't really know what they were. I now know that it was a Fender Champ. This was before the internet, so I couldn't find out how old it was, but the first two digits of the serial were "F5", if I'm remembering correctly. A buddy told me that meant it was from 1955.

While I still don't know if that's true, it had felt insulation on the wires, and a sweet-looking tweed case. Of course, being an idiot, I sold it two years later for a couple hundred so I could get new pickups in my strat. I've regretted it ever since.

Anyhow, I have another (inferior) steel now, and I'm in the process of trying a pile of different tone bars. I have a couple I like, but remember that my Fender had an old knurled slide in the case. I always used the rounded tone bar instead, so I don't know if it was any good, but thought I'd see if I could get one to try out. It looked something like this:

I found a vintage one on ebay for US$59 + US$33 to ship to Canada. With the exchange, and the possible duties, that's just a crazy amount of money.

Do they still make these, and can they be bought for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Bill Mollenhauer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 3:45 pm    

Couldn't you just go to the hardware store and buy a piece of 1/4" steel and make one. It sure would be cheaper if you just want to try one out?

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 4:23 pm     Re: Knurled slide

Paul Spafford wrote:
Back in 1992, I bought an ancient lap steel even though I didn't really know what they were. I now know that it was a Fender Champ. This was before the internet, so I couldn't find out how old it was, but the first two digits of the serial were "F5", if I'm remembering correctly. A buddy told me that meant it was from 1955.

While I still don't know if that's true, it had felt insulation on the wires, and a sweet-looking tweed case. Of course, being an idiot, I sold it two years later for a couple hundred so I could get new pickups in my strat. I've regretted it ever since.

Anyhow, I have another (inferior) steel now, and I'm in the process of trying a pile of different tone bars. I have a couple I like, but remember that my Fender had an old knurled slide in the case. I always used the rounded tone bar instead, so I don't know if it was any good, but thought I'd see if I could get one to try out. It looked something like this:

I found a vintage one on ebay for US$59 + US$33 to ship to Canada. With the exchange, and the possible duties, that's just a crazy amount of money.

Do they still make these, and can they be bought for a reasonable price?

Thanks!
That is a crazy amount of dough for that sucky bar, don't buy it.

Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 4:31 pm    

Paul, I’ve seen these as low as $20 within the last year, and I think especially for something that small you should always contact the seller and negotiate shipping. The price is way too high anyway, pretty typical for practically anything labelled “vintage” these days it seems.

Paul Spafford

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2020 5:43 pm    

Thanks, y'all. Yep, I'm definitely not shelling out that much. Even without the unreasonable shipping and the exchange rate, that's way more expensive than any of the more substantial bars I've tried.

Unfortunately, my handyman skills are nonexistent, so I wouldn't have the knowledge or skills to make such a thing.

Any suggestions of where I could look for a cheaper one? My Google Fu skills have revealed nothing else.

David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 4:02 am    

I think those flat bars were part of the marketing where anyone could play steel guitar in 5 minutes. They probably died out because better easy-grip alternatives, like the Stevens Bar, became available. Good sustain is related to the weight of the bar,among other things.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 4:28 am    

Not to keep harping on this Mr. Green
But i recently got a fancy Oahu bar like this for my collection and it just don't sound or feel very good, bar slants are very hard and the sustain is short. Just my two cents here but i recommend a nice bakelite bullet bar.

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 9:39 am    

I have a bar that looks the same, except that it has a "Waverly" logo that was cast into both sides of the bar. I'd offer maybe $20 but no more. Not that good a good steel bar, but it fits in your hip pocket. I have cradled somebody else's Les Paul on my lap, with a quick retune, and played faux lap steel at a jam with a bar like that. It was alright, they said.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 10:24 am    

Those things haven't been in common usage for 80 or 90 years or more. And there's a good reason for that. If you really wanna score one, there's usually a few available on eBay.

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 10:03 pm    

Paul, I have one of those old bars as well. I know I will never use it for playing, and it has pretty much worn out its value as a conversation piece, so if you PM me your address I will send it to you. We're both in Canada, so it will be easy.

Paul Spafford

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2020 10:38 pm    

David Knutson wrote:
Paul, I have one of those old bars as well. I know I will never use it for playing, and it has pretty much worn out its value as a conversation piece, so if you PM me your address I will send it to you. We're both in Canada, so it will be easy.

Just sent a PM, David. Thanks!

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2020 2:25 pm     bar

in about 1956 I took steel guitar lessons and that looks exactly what I used. Interesting piece of steel guitar history imo. phil