The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Tuning" Your Computer For Music (PDF Files & Video Links)
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2020 11:06 am    

Here is some information some of you might find useful.

First is a 21 minute YouTube video that includes a link to a pdf file download. The video walks you through setting adjustments you can make to Windows and your DAW that will make your computer work better with the DAW. The DAW in the video is Cakewalk by BandLab but pretty much every DAW has similar settings. The video webpage also has a link to a pdf file that summarizes the same information.

https://youtu.be/-FAHqrphv9k

Second is an electronic book file that is more in depth. The file is a good introduction to digital recording that also provides more background information about why making the suggested setting changes actually matters. The electronic book can be downloaded in pdf, EPUB or MOBI file formats for easy reading on most smart phones, e-readers, tablets or computers.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2020 3:26 am    

I have a desktop with Win 10 Pro and use Sonar/Cakewalk primarily but also have Studio One Pro 4.6. I don't have any "tweaks" and have no problems in DAW's or with Latency. The only thing I do is I do not allow sleep and have Power Plan set for High Performance and disable the (Ethernet) NIC when I record. I have a laptop that I use for off site recording and its set the same way.

I have a friend in Nashville with a studio using ProTools and a stock Dell 8930 and he basically has the same system setup as me.

Here is my Resplendence Latency Mon that I ran this morning on my Desktop DAW:

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2020 6:31 pm     Thanks For The Reminder Jack!

Jack,

Thank you for reminding me about the free latency software application offered by Resplendence Software. It is a good tool for both professional musicians with a dedicated recording setup for business use and hobbyists wanting to know if their computer for every purpose can handle their hobby.

Some here may not be aware of where to obtain the software application or of the other free Resplendence Software offerings. Here is a link to their software download webpage: https://www.resplendence.com/downloads
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW