The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1960 Steel Amps
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 9:03 am    

Quote:
He said that when he bought it at Scotty's, they told him it was the only one they'd ever seen in person. Pretty cool..!!

I don't think they made too many. I think I remember Bruce saying he bought his brand new in 1970 from Bobby Seymour.

Tell Mark I said hello! Very Happy

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 11:29 am    

I bought my Emmons amp brand new in 1971 from a music store in Md, Marrs Music, where I also bought my first steel guitar. Both are pictured above and we paid $1,200 for both with the guitar being a used road warrior. $975 for the guitar and $225 for the amp which was a hefty discount. A brand new Emmons push pull was only $1,200! The amp blew up after a few weeks and the music store took it back (Emmons offered no repair) and gave me a twin reverb with JBL's for an even swap. After a few weeks with the push pull we figured out how to adjust it and made 3 more knee levers for it using the equipment where my dad worked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 1:04 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Don't forget the Emmons amplifier! Emmons logo on the amp matches the guitar.

I love this picture, Greg. Did you guys got a lot of "where'd you fellas get the two hippies?" when you played the Legion?

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 6:29 pm    

Dave Zirbel and Tiny O - Bruce Leighton is in Branson, I bought an Emmons S12 from him a few years ago. He had just given that Emmons amp to someone a couple of days before...it was broken...

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 7:57 pm    

Bill, that was one of the few bands I played in where I didn't have to listen to a lead guitar player wail all night. Soon after that picture I got to play lead and steel with all the lead breaks out front, no heavy PA powered bass and drums. That place had its own still way back in the woods, but that was another story. We played a lot of CB radio jamborees there and soon thereafter it seems the live music scene just died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2020 8:34 pm    

Quote:
Dave Zirbel and Tiny O - Bruce Leighton is in Branson, I bought an Emmons S12 from him a few years ago. He had just given that Emmons amp to someone a couple of days before...it was broken...

I remember when he got that 12 string Emmons. He only put 10 strings on it. Hope he’s doing well. Tell him hello if you should cross paths with him again.