The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Rogue Lap Steel on Sale
Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 1:12 pm    

I am posting this as many of you have students or friends who want a cheap lap steel to get started. Or you want something to leave in the car. Years ago folks said the black model sounded the best, and I don't know how good the red model is compared to it. LOL

I do not know how long they will be on sale.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-rls-1-lap-steel-guitar-with-stand-and-gig-bag

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 1:32 pm    

Thanks Dave, got one coming. Gig bag, legs, fretboard, etc. Heck if I don't like it, I'll have a lot of spare parts for a build.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 1:35 pm    

Only a 21-inch scale? No thanks.

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 2:33 pm     RetroFit Kit - 20 bucks converts your rogue to 22.5 scale

GeorgeBoards sells the low cost solution

22.5 Scale RetroFit Kit for Rogues <<Click<<
YouTube Channel

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 2:34 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:

I tend to agree but Georgeboards sells a nut, bridge and fretboard kit for $20 to convert it to 22.5".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lap-Steel-Guitar-22-5-Scale-Conversion-RetroFit-Kit-Nut-Bridge-FretBoard-BCF-C6/123208253124?hash=item1cafc8bec4:g:g7gAAOSw9DVZtrwE:rk:3:pf:0

Personally, I'm more inclined to bring back a cheap vintage lap steel from the dead but with the Rogue on sale, George's kit is an attractive option.

Edit: Ha! You beat me to the punch by a minute, George.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 3:17 pm    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Jack Hanson wrote:

I tend to agree but Georgeboards sells a nut, bridge and fretboard kit for $20 to convert it to 22.5".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lap-Steel-Guitar-22-5-Scale-Conversion-RetroFit-Kit-Nut-Bridge-FretBoard-BCF-C6/123208253124?hash=item1cafc8bec4:g:g7gAAOSw9DVZtrwE:rk:3:pf:0

Personally, I'm more inclined to bring back a cheap vintage lap steel from the dead but with the Rogue on sale, George's kit is an attractive option.

Edit: Ha! You beat me to the punch by a minute, George.

Those conversion kits work very well.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 3:38 pm    

That was my first lap steel.
Put a new bridge and nut on it, installed a nice Epiphone pickup and it does OK for itself.
I like the little bugger.
It's not pretty or sophisticated but neither am I.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 3:53 pm    

Just did the gb retrofit on my Rogue. Worked out great. I got the $20 kit, but made my own nut/bridge. The nut/bridge that came with the kit turned out to be excellent templates and I'm glad I went that way.

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2019 4:08 pm    

Brad Richard wrote:
Just did the gb retrofit on my Rogue. Worked out great. I got the $20 kit, but made my own nut/bridge. The nut/bridge that came with the kit turned out to be excellent templates and I'm glad I went that way.

Another Thumbs Up for the GeorgeBoard retrofit kit! I have the pre-Rogue Artisan and with a new pickup it's a pretty cool beginner set up.

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 5:51 am    

Question for you guys that have one of these lap steels. Is the head/neck flat enough to move the nut up maybe 3/4" or so? It would make the break angle of the string sharper. If that could be done the bridge wouldn't have to be moved so far down the body. I was thinking maybe doing these 2 mods and then making it a string through. I don't have it yet but thought maybe you owners could check yours out for me ahead of time.

Thanks!
Very Happy

Tommy Martin Young

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 6:36 am    

Bill, here's a closeup of my Artisan (same as Rogue). It's maxed out, but having been around the cigar box scene for awhile it never ceases to amaze me what people invent. I'll probably pickup one just to operate on!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 12:30 pm    

In the tab section Bert Ferroach posted "Green Fields"
and I think it was played on a Rogue LS1? Nice job!

George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2019 6:02 pm     22.5 scale

Hello Bill from George -io

We purchased one to do a feasibility study on if it could be lengthened to 22.5,

The final came out to; the nut moves back to where the channels start or maybe a little over. Less than 3/4 ".
So getting the bridge all the way back is close to the rear edge.

With 1/2 angle material you could easily create hold down holes for both pieces , and down holes on the bridge side for the string through's.

Unless you plan to replace the chrome plate it has to move back.

You can go with metal N&B directly to the top, and create a new pickguard - control plate.

For our clients that want to crank up the quality even more
we offer new Milled Brass Angle nut and bridges pre cut to the good widths to fit and hold down holes for #4 oval head screws pre drilled and countersunk by the mill operator.
YouTube Channel

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2019 12:57 am    

Thank you George. This is what I wanted to know. I got an update from USPS and it should be here tomorrow. I want to see if I like the 21" scale before I mess with anything.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 12:40 pm    

My Rogue showed up today. I have to say for $69 and change I am impressed. It is pretty darn nice overall. I have a slight hum but not very noticeable. I mainly got it to put in the car and play at lunchtime. Pretty nice gig bag as well. One thing I don't like is, the head. It is so thick I can't fit my tuner on it, but I have another one to use. So why don't you guys care for the 21" scale length? I am not a good player and don't really see much of a difference between the 21 and 22.5. My other lap steels are 22.5".

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 1:06 pm    

Bill - what I didn't care for is my hands felt kind of squished together (I'm used to guitar, banjo and dobro). The extra 1.5" helps. Also, the strings just felt a bit slack with the shorter scale. Also, I think I just kind of like tinkering with my equipment Smile

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 1:46 pm    

Bill, you will hear a lot of opinions about scale length. Some find bar slants are easier at short scale. As the scale gets longer its hard to slant the bar and still stay in tune. Now some prefer long scale for the sound and extra sustain (that can be debated). I prefer 24 or 24 1/4 scale but I find slants on the low frets difficult. Over time you may find that short scale works just fine for you. If the strings don't feel tight enough, just go with heavier gauges.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 1:46 pm    

Bill, you will hear a lot of opinions about scale length. Some find bar slants are easier at short scale. As the scale gets longer its hard to slant the bar and still stay in tune. Now some prefer long scale for the sound and extra sustain (that can be debated). I prefer 24 or 24 1/4 scale but I find slants on the low frets difficult. Over time you may find that short scale works just fine for you. If the strings don't feel tight enough, just go with heavier gauges.

Mike Harris

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 1:49 pm    

I also started with an Artisan. 40 bucks used, with a Stevens bar. Man, that was a lot of fun. Eventually went to a Dynalap 8 but the Artisan makes a good beater/loaner guitar after "graduation."

Tommy Martin Young

Post  Posted 25 Jan 2019 2:18 pm    

I grabbed one as well - here on Monday. I am going to lengthen the scale and add a rail pickup and 7th string with one of these Steinberger-type tuners dead-center on the headstock (which is ridiculously thick). I want it flush with the back of the neck so I'll probably have to remove 1"...but that's what's great about a $69 steel, spare parts and an empty workbench.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2019 4:45 am     Harley Benton Slider

I talked with Bert about this song he is playing on his Harley Benton Slider. Yup, one more name for a Rogue.
He lives in the Netherlands and that is what they are marketed as. Other than the control knobs it's a dead ringer for a Rogue or Artisan.

For $69 he sure makes it sound nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZr6sz3AC8Q&t=0s&list=PL58v4GJRdvQg0Bf49OcovcbN8fXzdJ9Tw&index=29

Kris Youngsteadt

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 12:29 pm    

I bought this one not too long ago. Had to replace the tuners since one broke. Works for me, but I don't know any better Wink

Tommy Martin Young

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2019 4:37 pm     The Lucky 7

I added a 7th string - tuned it to C6 (Low C to High G) and it's become what I call my "Mo-ped" (they're fun to ride until your friends find out). It's a great travel size and was my intro into the lap steel world. At $70 Rogues are the perfect gateway "taste"...not sure I've even seen them sell for less than that used!

Kris Youngsteadt

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 9:08 am    

Very cool, Tom. Have fun!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 10:54 am    

Here is my scratch built "Rogue" 22.5 " scale, string through and modded headstock.