The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaker upgrade for Deluxe Reverb
Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 7:18 pm    

What speaker would you recommend as an upgrade for country lead guitar playing using a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

Thanks!!!
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 11:27 pm    

I had a Weber Ferromax in mine Sounded great.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 2:49 am    

That's what I have in there now (12F150B). I prefer my '74 CTS for steel, but the Weber has a little more edge for six string.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 5:43 am    

I have a Jensen P12N currently in my Princeton Reverb...

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 6:01 am    

For guitar, a Cannibus Rex sounds really nice.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 8:06 am    

I have a Celestial Vintage 30 in my Deluxe Reverb.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 9:09 am    

Craig Bailey: Why do you want to swap the speaker?
What don't you like about the one that you have now?
What are you hoping to gain or change?

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 11:12 am    

AJM: the amp sounds too shrill and un-tube like. I am going through a process of elimination:
changing tubes
bias tubes
and if those things dont work, perhaps change speaker. I own a few fender tube amps and they have the fender tube sound. My guess is either changing tubes or re-bias the tubes will solve the problem.
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 12:34 pm    

swap out preamps one by one with known working ones first. then, outputs with known. if output, you may have to rebias.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 1:03 pm    

There is not a bright switch to turn off the bright cap on Deluxe Reverb amps. It may help to cut that cap out or use a lower value one to tame that extra treble. It is C10 in the schematic. A 47pf cap. The normal channel does not have the bright cap

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 2:10 pm    

Thats why I get Ken to work on all my amps!!! Very Happy He's the man!!!

Thanks Ken. I will give you a call sometime after Christmas. Have a wonderful holiday my friend.

Craig

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 5:24 pm    

JBL D-120

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 9:33 pm     The Speaker.

I put a JBL-D120F in my Deluxe Reverb and it’s a great Steel and Guitar amp. Probably the best sounding of the four Fender Amps I own. You might try a EVM-12L, they are more rugged than a JBL, and clean as a whistle.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 6:17 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
AJM: the amp sounds too shrill and un-tube like. I am going through a process of elimination:
changing tubes
bias tubes
and if those things dont work, perhaps change speaker. I own a few fender tube amps and they have the fender tube sound. My guess is either changing tubes or re-bias the tubes will solve the problem.

DR reissues have been known to be biased fairly cold from the factory. I'd start there. If you're looking for clean headroom you might look into an Emminence Swamp Thing. I've not heard one personally but I understand they'll make the amp a fair bit louder than you'd expect, a very efficient speaker.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 7:01 am    

Different preamp tubes in V1 and V2 can make a difference. I have a couple of different Sovteks in there and it is a noticeable change. Swapping out the stock Jensen reissue is also a good change for pedal steel. I have used an old CTS that fits the amp beautifully. At the moment I have a Weber 12F150b in there and that is also very good for steel. I have a Weber California I want tot try in there soon, but twill start pushing the weight up a little beyond where I'd like it. I'll have to see whether the sound is good, and good enough to warrant the weight.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 7:54 am    

I second Ken's recommendation about the Bright cap, which is the same as always having the Bright switch on with other Fender amps. Just cut it out of the circuit. Between the high end and wiper of the Volume pot of the Vibrato channel.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 8:57 am    

I also like Ken's suggestion......because it's cheap.

Depending upon what volume you're playing, and where you're standing, can also be factors. If you're using the Reverb channel and are at low volumes, the bright cap will come into play more than if the amp is cranked up more.

Also of note: You're playing six string, not PSG.
How hard do you hit the strings?
What are the tone settings?
Do you use a compressor? This might help a lot.
What guitar are you using?
Does the amp do it with another guitar?
Does your guitar do it with another amp?
Are there any other effects in the chain?
Are you going crazy yet? ;>))

On that note, you might want to try a "beam blocker".
There was a recent topic post on here about them.
You can make your own.

So the cheap things to try (in no particular order) are:
Swap preamp tubes.

Swap power tubes and/or check the bias.

Try different guitar/a,p combinations to see what plays well with what.

Try a compressor.

Make note of where you're standing and what volume levels, and try a beam blocker.

Snip the reverb channel bright cap. If in fact, that is the channel you're using. (Did we all make another assumption, again?) You could try the Normal channel first to see if the problem goes away. If so, it *could* be the bright cap. (Since it's a different channel it could be something else as well.)

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 11:22 am    

oops!

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 22 Dec 2019 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 12:10 pm    

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. I greatly appreciate it. Merry Christmas to the best community of all!!!

Craig

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2019 3:09 am     Re: Speaker upgrade for Deluxe Reverb

Craig Bailey wrote:
What speaker would you recommend as an upgrade for country lead guitar playing using a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

Thanks!!!

Well, uhmm..
What guitar are you using , what PUPS are in the guitar, what gauge strings are you using ?

A speaker change may bring you to a place you don't want to be. What speaker is in your DR-RI now, lets start there . They come stock with 2 or 3 variants .

Personally , all of my amps now have the Fender Gold Label Eminence 12's. IF there is a difference in tones between guitars, and there is, I know it's the guitar. The speakers may not be the worlds greatest but they are very consistent with a 50 watt rating.

These speakers lean a tad bright with a very mild mid range profile. Lo end is good. I even have one in a PV Nashville 112 , which for me , solved the dreaded mid range shift issue.

I play a few different Telecasters, one is clearly darker than the others while two lean bright. Same amp, same speakers.

RE: All with the same amp/speaker

2012 Fender Parsons White Bender with stock pups-very bright.

1989 Fender 52RI stock pups, bright but just right

2008 Fender AM Std with the a Forest Lee Bender, much darker than the two above. Very noticeable to my ears.

PUPS matter.

Know your guitar first, then chase a speaker . Just be aware that players A,B and C may love speakers A,B and C, but they still may not fit what you are seeking. So before you run out and spend $75 to $100 on a speaker see if you can get a reference.

Overall, a Jensen N series is also good fit for the DR's, as mentioned way above.

So what speaker is in your amp now , you never said ? Question

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2019 7:37 pm    

I have an early 70's Deluxe Reverb, so I'm not sure how relevant this is to a reissue. Somewhere along the line, the original speaker was replaced with a 100 watt Eminence 12774. This is a great combination IMO. The higher watt speaker eliminates the flabbing on low notes. I liked the speaker so much that I wanted to acquire one for a different amp. I contacted Eminence and was told the 12774 is no longer available. According to Eminence, the most "similar stock speaker to 12774 is the Legend 1218." I never got around to trying one, but I pass the info on.

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2019 10:28 pm    

IMO, if you find a good D120 or K120, you will never look back. Be prepared for a big volume jump over run of the mill speakers. About like doubling your amps power.
I personally prefer the cloth/paper dome, but I think with a beam blocker I could live with the aluminum dome.
Makes your DR into a much better steel amp too.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2019 1:42 am    

All this depends on a lot of things, like what kind of sound you're going for, which tubes are in the amp, how it's biased, and then there are tolerances in the amp's components.

Personally, before I cut the bright cap, I would try some different tubes (it helps to have an assortment of different types/brands) and rebias the output tubes. I generally prefer them run relatively cool, around 22 ma per tube, but that can vary depending on the tubes. As long as it's not red-plating, I go by ear. Careful adjustments here can make an enormous difference.

Then on speakers, I've also had Weber 12F150 speakers in there. They're really great for guitar, and for me, clean enough for pedal steel at reasonable volumes. Also lots of others, including old EV SRO Coffee-Cans, Jensen C12N, and Celestion Vintage 30's and more. I like any speaker that doesn't phart out on the low end, up to a certain point.

But in the end, for my '74 Deluxe Reverb that I use for steel a lot, I just sucked it up and put in an old Fender D120F. IMO, there is nothing quite like them. And great for guitar if you don't mind a bit of high-midrange bark. They are very efficient, but can definitely be blown if pushed too hard, even with a Deluxe.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2019 6:28 am    

If it is indeed the Bright cap, just cranking the channel volume will lessen the effect... with the channel Volume all the way up, the Bright cap is completely bypassed.

Also, the Normal channel doesn't have this cap, so you can try it and see if you like it... the Normal channel also bypasses the buffer network for the reverb, which is another 'brittle sound' circuit... those ceramic caps are extremely variable as well as microphonic.

https://schematicheaven.net/fenderamps/deluxe_reverb_ab763_schem.pdf