The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Converting a Volume pedal to a tone pedal
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 1:17 am    

Hi, I opened a thread elsewhere* about a guy called Tony Locke and how he is achieving a certain effect. The only response that I've had is that he may be using a Volume-Tone pedal. Intrigued, I researched this and now I know what they are and realize I am unlikely to find one in good order, I am wondering if another option is create a tone pedal.

My very first volume pedal is a brand called Bepesco. Cheap and fundamentally useless, it has languished in a cupboard, long replaced by a series of other pedals! Now I am wondering if one can convert a volume pedal to being a tone pedal?

To be clear I am not concerned about the up-down, left-right function of a classic Volume-Tone pedal, this would be an extra pedal just for the effect I am seeking.

Presumably what is most lacking in the Bepesco is a good volume pot (I've never opened it up) but from what I understand a tone pot is just a pot with a capacitor connected ... right? So is this a simple exercise of replacing the pot with a good one and a capacitor and then I have a tone pedal?

\ paul

* https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=352561

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 4:34 am    

The easiest way to get that effect is to buy a Wah-Wah pedal. That is a tone-control pedal.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 4:59 am    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
The easiest way to get that effect is to buy a Wah-Wah pedal. That is a tone-control pedal.

A wahwah pedal is a filter with some resonance

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 4:59 am    

Quote:
... buy a Wah-Wah pedal. That is a tone-control pedal.

Well that had occurred to me, but I imagine a Wah pedal to produce a very different sound as I think it sweeps the mid frequencies. When I think wah pedal, it's 'Shaft!' 'Voodoo Child', 'Papa was a Rolling Stone' ... I will certainly try it though.

\ paul

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 9:35 am    

Paul Seager wrote:
Quote:
... buy a Wah-Wah pedal. That is a tone-control pedal.

Well that had occurred to me, but I imagine a Wah pedal to produce a very different sound as I think it sweeps the mid frequencies. When I think wah pedal, it's 'Shaft!' 'Voodoo Child', 'Papa was a Rolling Stone' ... I will certainly try it though.

\ paul

If you are looking for a Speedy West or Jerry Byrd doo-wah effect you would want a regular tone pedal with a linear taper pot, as opposed to an audio taper. The linear taper goes from full off to full on with a quick movement. The audio taper is slower to go from full off to full on. A wah wah pedal will not give you this effect.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2019 10:27 am    

I really don't know anything about them, but Fender re-issued the dual action vol/tone pedal PR725, I think it is, just a few years back.

You might ask around here or check ebay, Reverb for a good used one.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2019 5:04 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
... Fender re-issued the dual action vol/tone pedal PR725, I think it is, just a few years back.

They did reissue to mixed reception and I have found a few on Ebay, either silly prices and / or "the tone function needs attention "!

Quote:
... linear taper pot, as opposed to an audio taper.

That was the advice I sought. Thanks Tim.

\paul

John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2019 11:13 am     tone pedal from volume pedal

I did a mod a few years back were I put a switch on a volume pedal that kicked in a variable treble bleed like in a 6 string electric. The guy I did it for wanted it kind of backwards as he's volume went up he wanted it to be a darker sound. So it was a challenge to find a Pot that was dual to make the effect happen.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 9:13 am    

Paul Seager wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:
... Fender re-issued the dual action vol/tone pedal PR725, I think it is, just a few years back.

They did reissue to mixed reception and I have found a few on Ebay, either silly prices and / or "the tone function needs attention "!

The reissue pedals worked quite well, however the side-to-side tone function was very stiff. On mine, I found I had to loosen the inside nut to get the action to work right. a pretty easy fix. If that's the issue they are reporting then I would buy it. If they mean that it has a bad pot - beware! These pedals are tricky to work on.