The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Color string
Tom Knowles

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 6:33 pm    

I know it sounds very amateurish, but does anyone else out there use color strings to keep on track? I've been using a bright orange G# (6th) string for the past year and its made finding my place much easier.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 7:48 pm    

yep, I colour my 8th string on my 12 string Williams with a blue or a black sharpie

I do this because I switch between my 10, 12 and 10U guitars, and it helps remind me where I am. If I play Williams for two or three consecutive gigs, then I usually don't need to do that

It would be groovy if someone started making coloured strings

I don't think theres anything wrong with it - Harp players use coloured strings as a matter of course
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2019 8:17 pm     Re: Color string

Tom Knowles wrote:
I know it sounds very amateurish, but does anyone else out there use color strings to keep on track? I've been using a bright orange G# (6th) string for the past year and its made finding my place much easier.

Bad idea. If you use a "crutch", it just prolongs the proper learning process. I tell newbie players the same thing when it comes to putting bits of tape on the fretboard to denote the key or chord. As long as you can "cheat", you'll never memorize anything, and your muscles won't, either. Sure it's hard, sometimes, but that doesn't mean you can't eventually do it. If you don't burn it into your brain, you'll never be a good player, and RIGHT NOW is the best time to start!

Mr. Green

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 6:31 am    

Do you think piano players are cheating with their black keys? Whatever gets your brain and your body working together the quickest is good.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:25 am    

Asa Brosius wrote:
Do you think piano players are cheating with their black keys?

No. But then again, they're already black, aren't they? Cool

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:30 am     Re: Color string

Donny Hinson wrote:
Tom Knowles wrote:

Bad idea. If you use a "crutch", it just prolongs the proper learning process. I tell newbie players the same thing when it comes to putting bits of tape on the fretboard to denote the key or chord. As long as you can "cheat", you'll never memorize anything, and your muscles won't, either. Sure it's hard, sometimes, but that doesn't mean you can't eventually do it. If you don't burn it into your brain, you'll never be a good player, and RIGHT NOW is the best time to start!

Mr. Green

100% right on.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:45 am    

Asa Brosius wrote:
Do you think piano players are cheating with their black keys? Whatever gets your brain and your body working together the quickest is good.

Precisely...and also why it’s not cheating to have fret markers.

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 7:59 am    

Your sixth string is either your first wound or last plain string so not sure I see a need to color it.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 8:15 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Asa Brosius wrote:
Do you think piano players are cheating with their black keys?

No. But then again, they're already black, aren't they? Cool

And, different lengths than the white keys. Really easy to tell the difference. A better analogy would have been if someone took a sharpie and colored the middle C, or all the C keys, or took that sharpie and marked the note name on each key.

At first it might be a good idea, for a short time until your hand gets it's position committed to muscle memory. Eventually that will happen, and you won't even need to (and shouldn't) look at your right hand.

I started playing 10 string pedals steels in 1971 or 72. When I sit at my guitar, my thumb automatically zeros in on string 8 (3rd string from bottom). That's my home base. In 2017, I bought an SD12. For a while, it was a little rough as my thumb was used to the 3rd string from bottom being "home", I found my hand in the wrong position using the low B string as home, as it is now the 3rd string from the bottom. That made for some real interesting (that should read: awful) playing. Took some serious work to get my hand to hit the low E (now the 5th string from the bottom). I don't know if marking the 8th (low E) would have sped up that transition.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 8:16 am    

Brian Hollands wrote:
Your sixth string is either your first wound or last plain string so not sure I see a need to color it.

👍

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 9:14 am    

If it works, it works. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, just do what works for you. Everybody is different.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 9:46 am    

Jerry is 100% right!!

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 3:29 pm    

If you have to use a couple colored strings: https://www.guitarcenter.com/DR-Strings/Hi-Def-NEON-Multi-Color-Coated-Medium-Electric-Guitar-Strings.gc

Violin teachers have the same arguments w/colored tape on the fretboard, but they always remove the tape as soon as the student shows some ability to play in tune.

However, I'm gonna say that in general if you can't accurately play chord runs or single note runs, you need to dial down the metronome

Tom Knowles

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 9:51 pm    

I appreciate all your responses. Thanks!!

Yes maybe because of bad eyes it works for me mainly in going through the book with tabs and music - I've even lined up the 6th string line in the tabs with my orange G# guitar string making things easier for me.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2019 11:10 pm    

I think all (most?) string instrument teachers tell students not to look at the picking/bowing hand. Here's a good article about developing a feel in your picking hand for location. (I have a little different take on it, that's using the non picking fingers and heel of hand to feel where the thumb and middle fingers are.)

http://playpedalsteel.com/right-hand-technique-using-the-ring-finger-as-an-anchor/

(referenced in https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=323447

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2019 12:06 am    

I get that, and if I played my 12 stringer at every single gig, then i'd develop a feel in my picking hand for location. Fact is, if I play the 12er for two or three consecutive gigs, then marking the 8th becomes less of a crutch for me
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/