The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  strumming octaves on C6????
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 2:49 pm    

So, I'm listening to Buddy's "Night Life" on the Black album, which I've heard many times over the years, but never gave this any thought before. I'm mystified as to what he's doing starting around 2:11. It sounds like he's strumming (as opposed to picking) octaves a la Wes Montgomery, which is relatively easy to do on standard guitar, but I don't understand how this is done on steel in standard C6 tuning, where you'd have to somehow mute the in-between strings. Do you think I'm misinterpreting what my ears tell me, or is there actually a way to do this?

https://youtu.be/2wXPiOnX4ls?t=131

All I can think of is a custom bar, but that seems ridiculously far fetched, so I assume I'm missing something obvious...

- Slim

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 4:54 pm    

It sounds like picking to me, with a heavy hand and a quick block. Like you said, I don't know how else he would do it.

Also, love to see Wes Montgomery popping up in a steel guitar thread. What a player.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 5:24 pm    

Andrew Goulet wrote:

Also, love to see Wes Montgomery popping up in a steel guitar thread. What a player.

Indeed. Wes, like Buddy, was in a class of his own, a guitar hero to so many….

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 7:40 pm    

Sounds to me like a combination of a quick thumb-sweep of 3 or 4 strings while picking 2 (adjacent) higher strings with the fingers. It's a very common technique that many advanced players use to get fuller (5 and 6 note) chords with only 3 picks.

Chalker used it extensively on C6th to get that "full sound" on his chord work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noxhY3q-uYU

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 3 Feb 2022 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 7:42 pm    

Slim, have to agree it sounds like an octave strumm but I can't say he did it this way live when I seen him. No idea how this was done.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 7:54 pm    

Listening closely, I can hear other notes in there along with the octave strings. As long as the top and bottom notes are an octave, it's a simple matter to emphasize them.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2022 7:59 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Listening closely, I can hear other notes in there along with the octave strings. As long as the top and bottom notes are an octave, it's a simple matter to emphasize them.

Thanks Donny, that makes a lot of sense (except for the "simple matter" part). Very Happy

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 6:19 am    

in an article he said he first carved out a bar so the strings between would not play but was too hard to align. he ended up using his left thumb over the bar to mute the middle strings then strum all. i tried it and it's hard and would take lots of practice. he must have worked on it a lot.

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 6:52 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
in an article he said he first carved out a bar so the strings between would not play but was too hard to align. he ended up using his left thumb over the bar to mute the middle strings then strum all. i tried it and it's hard and would take lots of practice. he must have worked on it a lot.

Aha! So a two-thumb strum technique -- Wes would be proud Smile.

Thanks, for sharing that story -- it does seem do-able (especially if your thumb's the right size).

- Slim

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 6:58 am    

Gary, he may be doing just that, as there are some inconsistencies in the sound. On some of the "strums", I'm hearing a pronounced fifth interval, and on others it's partially muted. The sound of the "in between" semi-muted strings is definitely a part of the charm of Wes's technique, and Buddy often copied techniques used by other players.

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 7:00 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:

Whoa! Now that is some serious bar/hand mind melding.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 7:04 am    

i play without picks so i jam my first finger between the two strings above the low note and strum the lowest three strings and pick the high octave with my second finger. it sounds pretty good. this won't work with picks unless you could wrap the topside of the pick with some deadening material or it makes a clangy sound.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 7:12 am    

He worked on everything a lot. I think the best way to accomplish this effect is to quit your day job.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 7:56 am    

Pete McAvity wrote:
He worked on everything a lot. I think the best way to accomplish this effect is to quit your day job.

And then to make your day job performing with the greatest musicians in country music.

Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 10:08 am    

Great thread. It sure is those 'in between' muted strings that make that Wes Montgomery sound happen. On guitar, one can mute almost all but the ringing octaves for a real percussive, funk thing. I feel some of the more expressive sacred steel players would have a grip on this technique for steel....

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2022 10:52 am    

Colin Swinney wrote:
Pete McAvity wrote:

And then to make your day job performing with the greatest musicians in country music.

Ayup.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 4:04 am    

Buddy actually answered this exact question back in the early days of the SGF:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20011227-1-010070.html

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 6:10 am    

Andy Volk wrote:

https://steelguitarforum.com/Archives/Archive-000003/HTML/20011227-1-010070.html

Thanks for digging that up Andy!

Before I asked the question here I had done a search, but apparently searched for the wrong terms. What an amazing resource the forum is...

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 6:32 am    

Andy Volk wrote:

there was another article where he also mentioned the cut out bar. maybe ask buddy at buddyemmons.com

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 8:51 am    

Andrew Goulet

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2022 4:58 pm    

Steel guitar is truly a special instrument in a special time and space. We can speak with masters who created seminal recordings. Steel guitarists 50 years from now will be envious.