The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  These dang picks...
Jeff Burke

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 1:22 pm    

I'm pretty sure Marvel's Wolverine doesn't play pedal steel.
But that's what I equate these dang finger / thumb picks to.
Life long guitar player just now picking up the PSG and I have a question:
Are there legitimate players out there who pick these things with just their fingers?

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 2:01 pm    

Sort of

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=212922

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=177308

Have you tried a few different brands?

I remember getting comfortable w/fingerpicks after a week or so (playing banjo). There's lots of threads about bending the fingerbands and blades to be comfortable if you Search. There's a couple this past week. I use a couple pair needlenose pliers on the band but NOT on the pick blade, or you could fit them loose and wrap medical tape around the band (which happens when i overexpand the bands on thumbpicks).

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=351562

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 8:30 am    

Jeff

I am a banjo player of 35 years and I decided to create picks that stayed in place and did not hurt. Why, after 50 years, had no one looked at the fingers and thumb and addressed the problem? I hold 3 US Patents for picks.
First a picks work fine when you put them on with your fingers straight, but you don't pick with your fingers straight and as soon as you bend your fingers the soft tissue on the bottom of the finger starts to push the pick off. I would like to help you address the problem you are experiencing.
I am not interested in selling you picks, but first address the problem. Do a Google sesrch "Saddle thumb pick videos" and then go to the forum category 'New products" and open SADDLE Picks to contact me so I can help.

Alan Bidmade

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 12:23 pm    

Can I suggest you buy the lightest gauge picks you can find. Dunlop do a 015.
Get a few sets. They are cheap as chips and you can afford to tweak and twist to your heart's content.
When you get a set feeling comfortable, progress through the grades, moulding the heavier set on your (now) comfortable lighter gauge set.
Progress through the gauges until you've got something producing the sound you want. It took me two years, then I found Pro-pick brass picks, and they are the bees' knees.
Most players will recommend that you don't play with fingers - unless you have really strong finger nails that grow and don't break. And you'll still need a thumb pick. Pro Pick 'speed picking' thumb picks also work a treat!
Ben-Rom #017 'Lorelei', Guild D25, Epiphone 'Joe Pass', Roland 40XL, Hilton VP

First name Alan, but known as Nick

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 1:57 pm    

Alan,
I like .015 or .018 picks. Very Happy
Erv

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 2:38 pm    

Squeeze them tight on your fingers, till your fingers hurt. Try to wear them all day, even if your not playing. It will hurt for a few weeks, but when your used to it, all will be fine, you won't need tape, gorilla snot or spit on your fingers. No one taught me, but that's what I did

Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 7:55 pm    

Yes I am like you. Lifelong guitar player-mostly classical-where my nails are part of me.

Been playing pedal steel for a couple years, picks still feel wrong, and I miss constantly.

But it gets better and feels more natural every day. There is no substitute. Just keep going. The sound is the most important factor (sure there are players who use their fingers-I've never heard of them).

Dan Wistrom

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 2:26 am     I guess, but...

I’ve only been playing for about 6 years, but I play a lot. All the time. I get paid to do this, but I still feel pretty inadequate whenever I play pedal steel. The only thing that I’m happy I did was choosing to do the harder option when given the chance. There is a reason almost everybody endures the absolute horror of using these torture devices that fit on our fingers... they end up sounding great.

I respect Lanois immensely, but the fact that he plays without the pics just makes me think that he tried them, he hated them, didn’t have years of extra time to get used to them, and then made a bunch of hit records without them. He’s fine without them.

Everybody else should just figure out how to play the instrument, even if it takes forever. There is no better feeling than playing one of these ”well”.

Lots of bad gigs, but a couple of really good ones in between. Keep doing it.

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 2:58 am    

I have found Wyatt finger picks require almost no adjustment right from the box. I have no trouble with them staying on. They are very high quality with no sharp edges and highly polished. I use the them for Banjo as well.
Google: Wyatt Custom Banjo Works, LLC

Hoffmeyer picks are also very good - I find they need a little more adjustment for me.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 6:46 am    

Yes, there are steel players who don't use finger picks. They feel unnatural because they are...and they are uncomfortable at first.

Like anything else, they take acclimation and time for getting proficient at them.

What do you use for guitar? A good friend of mine uses a straight pick on steel same as he does on guitar...along with nails of the other fingers.

The attack of a straight pick will give you the same type of snap you get with finger picks. Of course with the spread of 10 strings on a pedal steel, a conventionally held straight pick works best on single string runs and arpeggios.

I wouldn't fret too much over it. Just play however it works for you. You might find that you can gradually work the finger, thumb picks into your regimen. If not, you can still make fine music. Good Luck.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 7:18 am    

Two relatively recent threads on this:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=334968

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326147

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 8:02 am    

I am a classical guitar player as well. I just use my fingernails cut to regular classical guitar length. I have had some success using the Proper, which sits more like a nail does, and the picks with a finger cutout, which leave the pad of your finger open and the short extended piece sits against the underside of the nail. For thumb pick, I have found the Hercos, in the shape of a guitar pick with a thumb wrap over the top, to feel more like the pick I use on regular electric guitar.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100