The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel using DAY setup
Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 2:56 pm    

I was browsing YouTube today and came across a video of Tony Browne playing "Room Full of Roses" on a Rains PSG and it appears he was using the DAY setup. I've heard of this setup, but have never seen anyone playing it. What is the difference in DAY and Emmons besides pedal positions. Are any of the pro players using DAY? Is this fairly common, or is it rare to see a player gigging using this setup? Anyhow, Tony sounded great. I'm fairly new to PSG and there is a heck of a lot I don't know yet so please excuse my confusion.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 3:17 pm    

The thread below gives a pretty good discussion on the subject:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348765&highlight=emmons

`

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 6:43 pm     day setup for pedal steel

Thanks Donny, I've wondered about the difference and when I saw day setup actually being played I just had to ask.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 12:33 am    

The late great John Hughey played Day. The incredible Tommy White, Grand Old Opre staff player, plays Day. There are no doubt others that I've forgotten. Didn't Tom Brumley play Day?

I just found the answer. Tom Brumley played Emmons.

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 6:42 am    

My perception is about 10-20% of players use the Day setup, and my guess is the same goes for pros and non-pros alike. The most common reasoning for doing so is it's what we learned on / what the person who taught them used. My first steel was Day setup when I got it. I didn't know any different and it felt right to me. I feel like the inside roll "hold B pedal while rocking into A pedal" is easier given that the ankle has about twice the rotation in that direction, but Emmons players don't seem to struggle with that move. One could argue that most steels are setup Emmons, and therefore it's advantageous to be familiar with playing Emmons when looking for a new steel or playing someone else's.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 7:11 am     Playing the Day style....

My first guitar was converted, before I put my picks on to play it. I took a local Steel Guitar Player over to look at a Sho~Bud Professional. He played it, I bought it, he took it home, done the conversion & I was ready to start learning. Over the 40 years, I've converted 5 guitars. & bought 1 with the Day Setup. I think it's more Ergonomical.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 7:27 am    

I think the reason there are more Emmons style players, and more Emmons style guitars, goes back to Buddy Emmons being associated with Emmons guitars and Sho~Bud guitars. The 2 most popular guitars at the time. His setup was standard for those brands. Had Buddy split the pedals the way Jimmy did (and vice versa), the percentages would be reversed. The majority would be CBA, and the minority would be ABC. Had builders put the Day setup on stock guitars, that would have shifted the popularity towards Day. I had been playing maybe a year when my first PSG was switched to Day. At that time, I had never even heard of Jimmy Day. A friend of mine hadn't either. But we sure knew who Buddy was.

Charles Kurck

Living in Arkansas but Heaven is home
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 7:43 am     Pedal Camp

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=258841&highlight=pedal+camp

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 4:24 pm    

The first PSG I had was Day and I learned that way as I wanted to get started playing, not dismantling, and it would have been a lot of work to change it as it had fixed cranks.

I'm glad I did as I soon switched to universal where the Day setup is much better.

Michael Sawyer

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 7:54 pm    

Brad Easley wrote:
My perception is about 10-20% of players use the Day setup, and my guess is the same goes for pros and non-pros alike. The most common reasoning for doing so is it's what we learned on / what the person who taught them used. My first steel was Day setup when I got it. I didn't know any different and it felt right to me. I feel like the inside roll "hold B pedal while rocking into A pedal" is easier given that the ankle has about twice the rotation in that direction, but Emmons players don't seem to struggle with that move. One could argue that most steels are setup Emmons, and therefore it's advantageous to be familiar with playing Emmons when looking for a new steel or playing someone else's.

An old left ankle injury forced me to go Day.
Fortunately, I play old cable pull Fenders,so it was an easy change...