The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PC Audio Labs?
Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 3:10 pm    

I have been reading about and considering a desk top computer assembled specifically for use with recording software and DAWS. PC Audio Labs is one provider of such computers. The processor, SSD's, sound card and drivers and other components are supposed to be tweaked to maximize the DAW's performance and interface compatibility and minimize latency.

The computer can still be used as a "day to day" workhorse, as well. The pricing seems reasonable.

Does anyone have experience with such computers or have any thoughts on the subject?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 3:36 am    

There is one builder that has been active (and helpful) on recording forums such as the Sonar (Cakewalk) forum.

In addition to custom building for the small studio he builds for the high end studios and one of his TV clients is American Idol. He had the contract with Sweetwater Music and built the DAW PC's they sell at one time.

https://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.php?route=common/home

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 1:40 pm    

Thank You, Jack! I will give them a call. I apreciate the lead.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2019 2:15 pm    

The guy's name is Jim Roseberry. Very knowledgeable.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 8:46 am     Sweetwater

Jack's suggestion has a well deserved reputation within the Cakewalk community. Then there are the Sweetwater computers, pc or Mac. Here's the pc lineup: https://www.sweetwater.com/c859--PC_Desktops
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2019 6:09 pm    

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the lead. I am a big fan of Sweetwater because of their customer service.

Jack - I have checked out Jim's website and have him on list to call. There seems to be a serious difference in performance between just a standard PC and one that is designed specifically for audio. I am trying to get my head around those differences and understand what is really important and what is hype.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2019 3:10 am    

From comments on other forums, his PC's are specifically tweaked for the DAW hardware and software you want to use, to get maximum/best performance. One comment he made about the AMD Ryzen CPU's, they are great for gaming and some video but make poor audio processing (recording) PC's and thus he only uses Intel that excels in this area.

As noted, along with the average recording user he builds systems for major TV and Hollywood clients, along with major recording studios. Thus he has the expertise.