The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dr Z Surgical Steel vs Little Walter PF 89
Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 6:08 pm    

Has anyone played and compared the Dr Z Surgical Steel against the Little Walter PF 89?

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 4:26 am    

Dale,
This would be a good comparison if you could find both amps in one place.....These are high end enough amps that it’s highly unlikely that you will....I’ll be watching this thread just in case !!....You have good taste !!.....Jim

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 9:30 am    

I own both. Two great tube amps, do they sound identical no. Depends on what you like.
Pm sent.

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 12:23 pm    

Hi George,
So tell us the differences George......Are they that much different ?....Thanks, Jim

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 8:21 pm     Dr Z surgical steel vs. Little Walter PF 89

I was interested in a Surgical Steel head at one time. Another boutique amp that I was interested in was the Vintage Vibe. It's a tube amp built in Northwest TN. If you do a Google search for Vintage Vibe Combo 100 Cowboy Eddie Long, you can hear a demo. This amp just never gets mentioned. One guy that had one said it sounded good but would break up at high volume. Zane King has been using one on most of his videos and it sounds really good. Go to his website and listen to Keep Me In Your Will.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 1:05 pm    

James Quackenbush wrote:
Hi George,
So tell us the differences George......Are they that much different ?....Thanks, Jim

ok in a nut shell, the Dr. Z has more headroom than the 89, and is very articulate sounding and more bright than the 89, the Surgical Steel is heavier than the 89. The guitars I have are old Emmons bolts and they tend to be bright with the lower impedance pick ups anyway. I wouldn't be disappointed to use either one at any time. There are many custom tube amps being made, The fit and finish on the Dr. Z is first rate, the Little Walter is a little more homemade in it presentation as they are built on a much smaller scale..one man show as compared to multi. As I said before both good amps and no matter what, each player will have a different take on it.. just the way it goes. There is no "the best" but each of these are one of "the best" in the tube orientated amp world. Paul uses one and Mike Daly uses the other both great players and they know what they like to hear.