The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Benefit of using the effects loop
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 3:55 am    

Is there a sonic benefit to be gained by using the effects loop on an amp? Is it worth the nuiscance of using the extra cords?

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 4:04 am    

It depends on what you're using it for. Loops are particularly popular with guitarists for reverb and delay because they are applied after any preamp distortion. For a steel player playing totally clean, the advantage is less clear, but there will be a subtle difference in tone having effects before or after the tone-shaping circuitry in the preamp.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 5:03 am    

Many thanks for the fast reply Noah.
I was guessing that there would be little benefit from using the loop in a "Live" situation.
Best regards
Billy

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 6:27 am    

Billy

I’m a big fan of loops. Consider modern peaveys like the Nashville 1000

The following cabling is how I preferred things.

Pickup to amp input
1 st loop out to voulume pedal input
Volume pedal out to first loop input
2 nd loop out to reverb / delay effects input
Effects out to 2nd loop input

This way, pickup total load is always present at the input of the preamp. Creates a much smoother tone in my experience.

The second loop; I believe is post EQ. Delay / reverb etc is then affecting the processed signal before the final pass to the main amp. Also much smoother and predictable results in my experience.

I like the loops enough that modifying older peavey amps with loops is something I would like to do.

Bill

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 7:40 am    

I hadn’t actually used an FX loop till I got my Telonic’s SuperTwin... which has a dedicated loop in the back, with this one, there are knobs for both the return and then send to get the proper mix from the effects, plus the input/output on the effects unit itself ... I like it.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 8:09 am    

One of the reasons I like my Peaveys.Separate loops for the VP and the time-based effects.I especially like the "volume pedal patch"- the tonality stays the same.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 9:42 am    

We still don't know how you're using it, what amp, what effects, what instrument(s), etc etc etc.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 11:26 am    

With my DV Mark 250 I use an MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop. It allows you to widen the tonal range after the preamp stage and before the power stage of the amp.

I use a reverb and delay pedal in front of the input to the amp. Bottom line is try everything and keep experimenting

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 11:47 am    

My Telonics preamp has two loops, one right after the first stage and another post-eq. The first is for the volume pedal (although if you use a Telonics pedal it's the same input). I use the other for effects. This ensures that the processors get a consistent clean signal to work on.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 12:04 pm    

I am using a quilter tone block 200 and a Benado PF 1 effect.
The Benado manual suggests I connect from Vol Pedal to Benado then Benado out to amp in, then connect the effect out from amp to Benado loop in then from Benado loop out to amp loop in
Thanks to all for the posts

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 4:30 pm    

One benefit of an using pedals in a loop is you can adjust input and output level typically. PSG pickups produce a signal 2 to 3 times amplitude of a normal electric guitar signal. You can subtlety accidentaly overdrive a pedal.
I personally like my magnetic pickup to hit the gate of a tube - plenty-o-headroom.
PSG pickups need higher input impedance than a typical guitar pickup which is what most pedals are designed for. Since there is more wire on a PSG pickup (2-3x) the capacitance of the pickup/cable/input can become significant enough to create a low pass filter. The highs get rolled of earlier as a result. BTW this was the concept of the Goodrich PSG "buffer" - very high input Z. I don't like a PSG amp to have an input Z less than about 300K. I changed the input resitor on my Peavery Vegas back when I owned it with noticable results. The input Z of the original session was 470k I believe - ok.
Tube amps typical input Z is 1Megohm - not a problem.