The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hertz Tuner
Brian Aspinwall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 6:35 am    

Does anyone know of a clip-on or 1/4 inch input tuner that will give me a Hertz readout? So if I play, for example, the C an octave above middle C, it will read 523.25?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 12:46 pm    

The Cleartune app on my phone does that. It's not particular useful but it would satisfy your scientific curiosity.

Brian Aspinwall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 1:34 pm    

OK thanks

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 7:14 am    

The PitchLab Pro app will also display the actual Hertz for you. It's free, and has the ability to set up sweetened tunings too. This, along with a $15 Peterson Pitch Grabber clip-on pickup will convert your phone into a decent tuner for steel.

Brian Aspinwall

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 1:57 pm    

Awesome, thanks very much!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 8:24 am    

Tommy Mc wrote:
The PitchLab Pro app will also display the actual Hertz for you. It's free, and has the ability to set up sweetened tunings too. This, along with a $15 Peterson Pitch Grabber clip-on pickup will convert your phone into a decent tuner for steel.

Is the Pitch Lab app up and working again? Mine crashed a year or two back and I couldn’t get any support for it and was told the creator had pretty much abandoned the app
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 9:32 am    

Patrick Huey wrote:

Is the Pitch Lab app up and working again? Mine crashed a year or two back and I couldn’t get any support for it and was told the creator had pretty much abandoned the app

Interesting. It's no longer showing up in the Google Play store, but Amazon has it and it's available for download from several other sites.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 12:01 pm    

Tommy Mc wrote:
Patrick Huey wrote:

Interesting. It's no longer showing up in the Google Play store, but Amazon has it and it's available for download from several other sites.

It is still available through my iTunes and what not however I have the paid version and neither the boys know the paid seem to want to work . The developer has not done an upgrade or update in almost 4 years I saw… It was a great app when it was working
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 6:07 am    

Patrick Huey wrote:
[It was a great app when it was working

How is it not working?