The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I’m new here and I’m an IT guy
Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 3:45 pm    

I am currently testing my signature and letting everyone know that if anyone needs coding or development help, that I’m available and willing and would be more than happy to help my new community/family with any problems they have, just get in touch Smile I know there’s probably some luddites in here so I’m happy to answer general computer questions as well. I specialize in JAMstack architecture which basically means I specialize in JavaScript. Lmk what I can do for you.

So if you see my milk cow, won't you drive her on home?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 5:24 pm    

Thanks for your nice offer to the community, Regan. I'm sure your expertise will come in handy on a regular basis in the Computers subforum.

And welcome to the hood! Smile

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2019 8:49 am     Welcome!

Welcome to the community!

I lurked for years before finally joining the forum this year. If you like pedal steel guitars and the musicians that play them then you're going to enjoy your time here.

Thanks for your assistance offer. While I'm not opposed to change I must admit I have trouble dealing with it sometimes. Computers are wonderful tools but they can be so finicky and frustrating so I'm sure I'll take advantage of your offer sooner than later.

Any idea when the Jamstick Studio midi guitar will be released? I promise, I won't tell anyone else!
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 9:55 am    

I actually ordered and returned the Jam Origin Guitar to MIDI software. It's terrible in my opinion. Each time you play a note you get like 30 midi notes cascading on top of each other and it's impossible to work with in a DAW. NOT RECOMMENDED. I work with Propellerhead Reason primarily, although I attended Full Sail and have been taught in Pro Tools and Logic as well. I can navigate a computer like it's my small Alabama hometown, so please ask me if you have any questions, I LOVE HELPING!!! Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 10:21 am    

Welcome, I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk manager. I have other hardware and programming experience when I worked in the NASA Apollo program.

I have a home recording studio using Cakewalk (Sonar) and Studio One 4.5. I tried ProTools and didn't find anything in it that I couldn't do in Sonar.

Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 11:00 am    

Yes, Cakewalk is used by one of my favorite electronic musicians (Tycho). You have to look at Pro Tools from an angle of... the difference between the creation process, the mixing process, and the mastering process. As far as mastering goes, Pro Tools takes the cake, but I'm not a professional Master'er. I let others do that. I have a lot of mastering plugins which I use in Reason occasionally but have come to the conclusion that I just can't do it. Takes a certain type of ear and a certain patience. I prefer to stick to creating and mixing.

Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2019 11:04 am    

And that's a really cool job you had. I'm a front end JavaScript Developer and I've been out of school with a degree for exactly a year now and noone has hired me despite my extensive dedication to creating cover letters, applying, interviewing, following up. I have no clue why I can't find a job.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2019 7:44 pm     Re: I’m new here and I’m an IT guy

Regan Branch wrote:
I am currently testing my signature and letting everyone know that if anyone needs coding or development help, that I’m available and willing and would be more than happy to help my new community/family with any problems they have, just get in touch Smile I know there’s probably some luddites in here so I’m happy to answer general computer questions as well. I specialize in JAMstack architecture which basically means I specialize in JavaScript. Lmk what I can do for you.

Regan;

Do you have any experience with pascal? I have developed many programs with pascal and have run into a problem with Norton Anti Virus. Norton will always flag my programs as unsafe and potential virus infected. They are not. Its only flagged on compiled executable's.

I know you can exclude them from a scan or indicate with Norton that they are ok , but this scares some of the users whom may not know how to program Norton.

Im not sure what the workaround is for this or what part of the program Norton is identifying as infected.

Regan Branch

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2019 10:23 am     Re: I’m new here and I’m an IT guy

Greg Lambert wrote:
Regan Branch wrote:

Regan;

Do you have any experience with pascal? I have developed many programs with pascal and have run into a problem with Norton Anti Virus. Norton will always flag my programs as unsafe and potential virus infected. They are not. Its only flagged on compiled executable's.

I know you can exclude them from a scan or indicate with Norton that they are ok , but this scares some of the users whom may not know how to program Norton.

Im not sure what the workaround is for this or what part of the program Norton is identifying as infected.

Greg, Pascal is an old programming language that has primarily been replaced with the C family of languages. It's still object oriented, so chances are I would understand the code if I looked at it, but I do have 2 suggestions for you:

1) Use a new language rather than Pascal.

2) No anti-malware software is safe to use as of this day (12/15/2019) other than Malwarebytes. Both Norton AND McAffee and all other popular anti malware programs have been proven to contain AND attract malware themselves. I wouldn't trust anything besides Malwarebytes. I just got done replacing McAffee with Malwarebytes on my father's computer and ended up fixing 352 viruses that were on his computer... I told him this is why identity theft has been a reoccurring problem in his life. People really need to be aware of new security standards, which involve using NEW languages that were designed to stay ahead of the equally fast evolving technological evil that exists within our current day and age.

Thanks for asking Greg Smile I hope I helped.