The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steve Alonzo Walker
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 5:14 pm    

My dear friend and fellow Steel Guitarist "Steve Alonzo Walker" passed away Thursday (11/21/19) around 12 noon from unexpected heart failure. He lived in Spartanburg, South Carolina and played Steel for many years for country artist David Ball. We just saw him last weekend at the Nashville Stars & Steel Guitars Show. Our prayers go out to his family. Alonzo was only 67 years of age.

Obituary for Steve Alonzo Walker

Steve Alonzo Walker, 67, of Spartanburg, SC, died Thursday, November 21, 2019, at his home. Born May 5, 1952, in Spartanburg, he was the son of the late Ralph Alonzo Walker and Margie Maude Bannister Walker and son-in-law of the late Dean W. Davis Sr. and JoAnn Blackwelder Davis.

A 1970 graduate of Spartanburg High School, U. S. Army veteran, and longtime employee of Floyd Cemeteries and The J. F. Floyd Mortuary, Steve was a gifted craftsman. He was a former employee of TMR Mechanical for many years and a primarily self-taught, excellent repairman.

Steve was a loving husband and father, a doting grandfather and a true friend to all. He was also a talented musician playing steel guitar and other instruments for Bill Robinson and the Cavaliers, David Ball, Cissy Lynn, and Blaine Larson. He performed at the Grand Ole Opry, in Switzerland, Paris France, and Canada as well as many times locally at the Walnut Grove Opry House and Bill's Pickin' Parlor.

Surviving are his wife of 47 years, Brenda Davis Walker; children, Shannon Renee Walker Smith and Christopher Steve Walker (Tricia), all of Spartanburg, SC; grandchildren, Stephanie Hutchins (Tyler) of Chesnee, SC, Victoria Walker, Jeanna Smith, and Tyler Walker, all of Spartanburg, SC; great-grandchildren, Alli Kate and Jaxson; sister, Joann Wright (Gerald) of Greer, SC; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be 6:00-8:00 PM Sunday, November 24, 2019, at Floyd’s Greenlawn Chapel, 2075 E. Main St., Spartanburg, SC 29307. Funeral services will be conducted at 11:00 AM Monday, November 25, 2019, at Floyd’s Greenlawn Chapel, by The Rev. Richard Peters. Burial, with military honors, will be in Greenlawn Memorial Gardens, 1300 Fernwood-Glendale Rd., Spartanburg, SC 29307.

Last edited by Nick Reed on 22 Nov 2019 10:22 pm; edited 11 times in total

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 6:04 pm    

This is as always devastating...Steve and Bob Strickland stayed with me last weekend while playing in the staff band for Stars and Steels....He was a great musician and person and a dear friend and I'm very thankful for the wonderful weekend he just had with his friends and his music...God bless his family

Jonathan Cullifer

Gallatin, TN
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 6:27 pm    

Sad to hear, I have known Steve for years. Glad we were able to pick together over the weekend. Too bad he couldn't play his set on Saturday morning and had to play bass on mine.

Sending prayers for his family.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 7:15 pm    

Prayers for his family and friends.

Bill Nicholson

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 7:36 pm    

Totally shocked to hear this today. Just saw him in Columbia SC steel show less than 2 weeks ago. So sad....may he rest in peace.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 8:00 pm    

I'm also shocked. Thought Steve would live to be 100. Prayers to all his close friends and family. May he rest in peace.
b. Sad

Dana Watkins

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 8:19 pm    

Today I lost one of my dearest friends. So glad we all got to spend last week in Nashville at the Stars and Steel Guitars show. Alonzo was as happy as I have ever seen him. I feel very blessed that God allowed our paths to cross. He was talented, kind, always smiling, and always had sweet and positive things to say about everyone. He was a class act! Yesterday's Sounds was so proud to have him on the bandstand playing beautiful steel music. It will never be the same.

Alonzo, the music world will miss you greatly, and you left some very big shoes to fill. Go rest high...until we meet again. We will always have SWEET MEMORIES!

Steve Geis

Fayetteville, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 3:57 am    

I woke up to a txt this morning about Steve's passing. Such sad news, but what a great guy. Always happy and an encourageing friend to everyone, as well as a great player. As Emcee at the Ga Steel Guitar Asso steel shows, it was always fun for me to talk with him, introduce & joke around with on him stage. A truly ENTERTAINING guy. He actually had an impressive list of great singers & Nashville stars with whom he has played over the years. Having him and Bob Strickland together at the same time was always a joy,...both with their music and their unrehearsed comedy duo! RIP, my friend; you will be missed as much as you were loved, admired & respected for your music and your friendship.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 4:16 am    

This was hard to swallow when I heard the news yesterday. Steve was one of those guys that I just love to hear from. Always happy and you can make a sad day happy for me. You will be missed my friend rest in peace

We will have a huge void in our Georgia steel guitar Association.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 5:13 am    

I saw a post from a fellow musician on Facebook last evening. I was shocked. Steve played bass with the Bob Strickland band for the SC Steel Guitar Convention on the weekend of 10 Nov. Because he had a "boot" on his foot, he couldn't play steel. As usual, Steve was upbeat and joking with everyone.

Steve told me when I met him several years ago that playing on the road as a professional musician was all about attitude, not necessarily being the best. He lived his life that way, always cordial and wanting to play music. Everyone liked him. He will be missed. RIP my friend.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Bob Strickland

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 7:58 am     Great friend, great musician

This was a real shock for me and everyone who knew Alonzo. He was one of those musicians who couldn't get enough playing.

As Russ Hicks mentioned in an earlier post, Alonzo and I stayed at his house during the Stars and Steel Guitars show, and we had a great time having fellowship with our musical family and playing with that awesome band. We drove back Sunday and talked the whole time about how much fun we had. I'm thankful that his last gig was one of the best ever.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 8:23 am    

I'm very sorry to hear this sad news. I only met him (and got to play with him) once, on the Steel Guitar Cruise. A fine gentleman and a fine musician. My condolences to his family and dear friends.

Dana Watkins

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 8:32 am    

We never seem to be prepared for times like this, but we all find a way to unite from places near and far, in our hearts and prayers, to comfort one another in the loss of our friend. Continue to remember his family as well.

Danny Holsonback, dear friend and fellow musician of Alonzo's and mine, posted this video on Facebook this morning of Alonzo playing steel on the 2017 Steel Guitar Cruise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8v6d-dnz0

Dana Watkins

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 11:00 am     Steve Alonzo Walker Obituary

Please share this link with others...

https://www.floydmortuary.com/obituaries/Steve-Walker-4/#!/Obituary

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 1:48 pm    

so very sorry to learn of Steves passing. Peace and prayers to Steve's family.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 5:50 pm     Steve "Alonzo" Walker

Sad, sad news. I played 2 opening gigs years ago with Steve when he was touring with Cissy Lynn and Michael Twitty up here in Connecticut. We became fast friends setting up because we were both "Emmons guys". We talked about gear, influences, musical history and such and he was just the nicest guy you could imagine. The only bummer is with all of the time we hung out we didn't get a picture together which I would treasure now. RIP my friend ........

CB Blackwell

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 7:51 am    

Just had lunch with Steve on Wednesday and talked to him Thursday morning. What a great friend to have for the past 13 yrs..I'm lost for words..

Bill Plemmons

Simpsonville, SC
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 8:55 am    

I just got the news from CB and am shocked beyond words. Steve was one of the first musicians I met when I moved her in 2002. We became best friends and spent many hours discussing steel guitars and music in general. I was honored to fill in for him on occasion when he was on the road. He was one of those people that you just enjoyed being in the presence of. He was a good man, a good friend, a great musician, and will be greatly missed

Samuel Rogers

Georgia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 10:58 am    

Sad did not know him personally but I did get to hear him play once. What a top shelf musician! Prayers for his family and friends.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 10:58 pm    

Right after I started playing the pedal steel guitar, Steve and I had started talking over the internet about steel guitar, and he told me he was from Spartanburg, SC(I lived in Greer, SC at the time, which is not too far from Spartanburg. I saw him play a few times at the Southern Steel Guitar Convention and we also were on the same show at different times as steel players. He was a great friend, steel player and bass player. RIP Steve, you'll be missed, buddy

Brett-Emmons S-10, Jackson Blackjack Custom, SD-10, Gretsch Boxcar Dobro, Gold Tone Paul Beard Deluxe Dobro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Dec 2019 3:26 pm    

The paths that Mr. Walker and I followed never crossed, and after reading some of the feelings expressed by his friends here... some of whom are my own close friends... I regret that I never had a chance to meet the man. He must have been one of the good ones.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2019 12:52 pm    

I'm very sorry to hear of Steve's passing. I met him many years ago. A very nice guy.

My prayers and deepest sympathies go out for Steve, his family and friends.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2020 7:37 pm    

I've been steering clear of Gone Home, somehow missed this. I didn't get to cross paths with Steve, but a number of people I know have always said such good things about him. My condolences to his family and friends.