The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Existential question: Why do I own a S-10?
Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 4:30 am    

To respond to the present conversation... I never thought about it in those terms, but I guess I have successfully matured to where I now am always 'playing my instrument on the song'... where ten years ago I was mostly 'playing the song on my instrument'. (Hope I didn't get that backwards.) Anyway, that's why I now just can't live with only the E9 tuning.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 8:12 am    

I think you said it backwards but we get the point ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 8:44 am    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
I sense that you misunderstood me. I'm arguing against a wholesale push to simplification. Ultimately, for me, I personally don't want to have to make the compromises necessary to try to get everything on one neck. I personally play universal a lot, and really like it. But I think I'm gonna run into a wall at some point on the 6th side. I love the fact that one can get 80-90% of both necks, and some other cool stuff besides. It's a cool setup. But I really think that if I can take this where I want it, I'm gonna want a dedicated C6 neck, long-term.

I understand you. I was acknowledging that you understood what my point was, even though you disagree with it. I also think I understand where you're coming from. I'm sure all of us have agonized over whether to play a part 'perfectly' making full use of all the strings and bends available to us or whether to compromise for something less. It's easy to lose perspective in those situations.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 9:27 am    

OK, the way you wrote that, I wasn't sure. BTW, I'm only disgreeing as a blanket thought, and more to the point, for me, not anybody else. Every player needs to decide this for themselves. Nor will I be selling my Zum U12 - it's a great guitar and incredibly useful for a lot of stuff. Right at the moment, it's my main gigging guitar, and works perfectly for the people I'm working with right now, which includes a lot of rockabilly and western swing for which that extended low-end A6 really comes in handy. I was for some time dragging an orphaned Stringmaster neck in A6 to gigs, and if you think changing necks on a D10 mid-song or between songs is a PITA, it's even more annoying to be changing to a different guitar.

I've gone back and forth on this over a period of time. For me, the biggest issue with the universal is not realistically being able to put on all the C6 type levers I want on it and the fact that I optimize the setup and tuning for the E9 side and am not happy with compromising the setup and tuning to get the "max for both sides", so to speak. That guitar is perfect right now for what I do with it and I don't want to screw it up by adding a bunch of stuff that I fear would mess up its playability.

For me, this also has nothing to do with trying to cop every lick from every seminal C6 tune. It's all about playing what music I want to play, and U12 works for a lot but not all of it. Nor do I have any illusions of becoming a "great C6 player". I don't think I have enough years left, but I want to take it as far as I can.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 9:31 am    

If you're a good player, it doesn't matter what tuning you use. Sneaky Pete's discography is several pages long, and it includes many of the biggest stars of the 20th century. He played an S-8 tuned to B6th.

I honestly believe that any kind of music can be played on any tuning. To me, the only question is "Do I need low notes?". For my approach to music, the answer has always been "Yes". At a minimum, I need a low G. I'm happier if I can go down to E. Anything lower than that is a bonus.

Sneaky Pete's lowest note was F#. Sweet! Cool

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 2:37 pm     Existential question....

I have two PP Emmons D-10s and a Mullen PRP D-10, along with an Emmons GS-10. I had Tommy Cass fit the GS with 4 knee levers and only use it to leave at rehearsal spaces with bands that have regular sessions. One of the Emmons D-10s stays at a basement band session where we don't ever play out but play one a week for the past 27 years. So for playing out I switch between the other Emmons D-10 for two bands that actually play music where C6 works and I use the significantly lighter Mullen for other bands where E9 suffices. Works for me.....and I love the old Mullen at least as much as the PP D-10s.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 2:12 am    

b0b wrote:
If you're a good player...

Ha, what if we are not a good player but trying to become a GOOD player ? Laughing

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 6:08 am     S 10

My mains axe is a s10 it is a Mullen discovery with 4 x 5 1 of the best guitars I have owned I have a d 10 at home sometimes I will sit down to it for a little while I'm not enthuse with jazz can't wrap my head around it it all sounds the same to me however I do like some of the western swing on c6 but most of it sounds great on e9.last year I thought I could play a uni wrong maybe if I had started out on a uni I might could've play 1 but to many years on 10 string I can't louse my 9th strings it is a great big step in my playing have fun on what tuning you play that's what it's all about God bless

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 3:23 am     E9th

I refer to it as 3 in 1. E9th, B6th and even A6th. Lower both E's, slide up one fret and there's a book of C6th. Can even lower the 9th string if wanted with it. E9th expands in many different directions depending on what's needed at the time. Lowering the E's moves into the B6th area and on and on. Checkout Milo Deering for C6th on E9th. He can pick !!!

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 12:22 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
Interesting responses.

Keep in mind that my (current) situation has me playing gigs where C6 is really not necessary. I would no be "giving it up" if I brought the S-10.

U need a pro 1 Whoa!

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 2:46 am    

Thanks, Karen! I accept your offer! When can I pick it up?!?

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 5:32 am    

Thanks, Karen! I accept your offer! When can I pick it up?!?

Not mine !
:lol

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 6:03 am    

Wow: triplicate. I used to play in a band that did Crazy Arms. In the chorus, after the lead singer sang the line, "My aching heart keeps saying you're not mine," the other three of us would answer in turn, "Not mine, not mine, not mine."

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 9:48 am    

I deleted the triplicate posts. (I can do that.) Razz

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2019 9:56 am    

Wow: triplicate. I used to play in a band that did Crazy Arms. In the chorus, after the lead singer sang the line, "My aching heart keeps saying you're not mine," the other three of us would answer in turn, "Not mine, not mine, not mine."

Laughing

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 5:15 am    

b0b wrote:
I deleted the triplicate posts. (I can do that.) Razz

I enjoyed reading the triplicate posts from Karen. Ya see, as I get older, it takes 2 or 3 times to be told things for it to sink in. A certain lady with the same last name tells me this quite often ! Very Happy

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 5:21 am    

Tony, critical question: can you remember her last name. That's the real age test! Laughing Laughing

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 7:43 am    

Tony Prior wrote:

Ha, what if we are not a good player but trying to become a GOOD player ? Laughing

D10 or S10? Ext12 or Uni12? Who cares? (Or maybe a better question is why they care?) The way to become a good player is to stop worrying about what you don't have, and start worrying about what you can't do! I often see players who say they need more levers, necks, or strings, yet they can't even do a decent rendition of a simple song like "Bud's Bounce". I also see players with generally poor technique who seem obsessed with "tone" and sound. They think that if they could just duplicate Buddy's or Lloyd's "tone", or had the same kind of guitar, it would make them a better player. They think that if they had this chord or that chord, it would make them sound better. But, IMHO, nothing could be further from the truth.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 8:03 am    

Now that the thread has drifted a bit off topic to my original post (in a good, productive sort of way, though), I think I have an answer to my original question.

I play a D-10 at a gig that doesn't require a C6 neck (again, Neil Young Tribute shows, folks), because the D-10 body is more ergonomically suited to and comfortable for me. I suppose that means the main reason I continue to own a S-10 (besides the fact that I think it's a great axe) is that situations come up where it's good to have a light-weight option (flying, gigs or rehearsals with a lot of stairs, for example).

Thanks for all of the comments, many of which really address other important topics about D-10s, S-10s, 12 string Unis, etc., and how we approach our instrument, and many of which helped me think through my initial musings about owning a S-10.

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 25 Nov 2019 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2019 8:35 am    

I play a D-10 at a gig that doesn't require a C6 neck (again, Neil Young Tribute shows folks), because the D-10 body is more ergonomically suited to and comfortable for me.

Ergonomics is the most important aspect of a pedal steel, in my opinion. If you're not comfortable sitting behind it, if the positions of pedals and knee levers force you into unnatural contortions, then you won't be able to play well. Ultimately, we want our equipment to be transparent. We want the music to go directly from our minds to the speakers. Ergonomics is key.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 1:51 am    

b0b wrote:
Ultimately, we want our equipment to be transparent. We want the music to go directly from our minds to the speaker

Yeah but which speaker ? Question

Sorry I couldn't resist ! Very Happy

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2019 2:03 am    

Quote:
Yeah but which speaker ?

Not the one the amp came with, of course. Evil Twisted