The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for info on Emmons D10
Donald Vincent

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 4:58 pm    

Hello All - new member here. I'm a six stringer so please excuse my lack of knowledge of these instruments. I have an opportunity to acquire this 1974 Ser# 1943D Emmons D10. It is out of an estate and I would be purchasing for resale. Has 8 pedals (5 currently attached) and 4 knee levers and is in great cosmetic condition. A few questions - what would it be worth in current condition, what would it cost to be professionally setup and what would the value be after that? Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 5:26 pm     Emmons

PM sent
widcj@hotmail.com

Donald Vincent

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 10:22 am    

Thanks John. If I decide to jump into this and get it rebuilt I will keep you in mind.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 5:41 pm    

Wow that would be a guessing game without seeing this Emmons up close from the pictures the finish looks well worn. With several bar dings but that won’t effect the Emmons push pull tone. If you choose some of the well known Emmons restoration people it will add too the retail value tremendously there’s several Emmons restoration people dotted around the US that could make this steel as good as new mechanically an cosmetically!!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 12:37 pm    

This guitar will need a complete teardown and refinish if it is to be sold as a mint Emmons. Not completely necessary but be well prepared to take a whole less for her other wise.

Things that can drives restoration costs up:

Parts! You will want new fret boards and replace anything that is not factory Emmons parts. It may be intact but is impossible to tell based on your pictures

Finish work: add 500.00 for that alone plus the prepping it takes. Hopefully the veneer can be saved or be prepared to spend more $$$. Thats a good 2 to 4 hours in prep only. If the ends are cracked (behind changers), and they almost always are, add another 2 hours for the repair.

Flocking: 50 bucks in materials plus labor

Polishing / tumbling: Depending on what you want will add cost. Cleaning each part and restoring each and every set screw and snap rings takes a lot of time, hours costs

New paint on pedals, keyheads, and pedal rack

Plan on replacing the selector switch, pot, and possibly the tone switch.

A BIG One: If the changer is worn this can increase the cost significantly. That is a crap shoot till it comes apart, you just don't really know till then. Remember this guitar appears to be from the early 70s and has age and wear.

Re-assembly: Again, lots of hours.

I have only listed the basics. This is why a truly restored guitar will bring value to both the seller and the buyer but does come at a cost.

Good luck with your journey.

Mike

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 2:17 pm    

Just some guy here . If I were you , I would sell as is. Leave the restoration to the buyer. Lots of people like to do their own work , and can figure out how to set up an Emmons push pull . Not as good as the pros can set up , but "good enough " . Speaking from personal experience here.
Is there a case ? Check the Emmons push pull steels for sale on this site , and get an idea what they are selling for.
Good luck with your sale.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 6:10 pm    

These are going for around $2800 to $3500 in VG condition. Just from looking at the pictures, it's not what I'd call "cosmetically great". (YMMV) Since we don't know exactly what parts are broken/worn/missing, I'd guess it's present worth between $1400 and $1800. A full restoration, from what I've seen, could easily run two grand...or more. Prices vary considerably, depending on who does the work and what's required.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 9:08 pm    

If it’s all there I’d say it’s worth $2500 ish in the condition it’s in. Try to find a recent sale for one like it for less. If it’s all there it shouldn’t take much to set it up and get it playing, at which point it will be worth $3000 plus.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 6:41 am    

Pretty cool. Then again, although any push-pull is nice some are nicer than others.

Pics aren’t super clear but the one where 3 pedals and a cross shaft are lying removed from the steel is not a good sign. And an undercarriage pic shows missing rods and parts.

I’ve bought & restored push-pulls in worse shape but this Emmons is gonna’ need a teardown and rebuild. Hopefully, it comes with the removed parts. Don’t know if it does? Ask the seller if there are other parts for it. If the answer is “no” give them your phone number anyway. A lot of times someone will sell something and then run across parts for the item later. Since they don’t know who bought it they often end up tossing the parts. Ouch.

Donald Vincent

Buffalo, New York, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 7:36 am     thank you all for the replies!

Yes there are some spare parts. I have bribed a steel playing friend with beer to come by to have a look, but until that happens I'm not sure if it is all there or not. I (hopefully) will be able to get it back to playing condition and/or be able to provide a more accurate description when I put it in the for sale section.

FWIW - this and a couple of other steels and misc were sold to me by the estate of Jim Beckett, who was a steel player here locally before relocating to the Tampa area 20-ish years ago.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 7:45 am    

This one, in far better shape, for sale right now on the web: $3200

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 9:40 am    

I’d agree with Donny Hinson’s dollar figures. Given it needs a rebuild, $14-1800 as is.

Not that you’re so inclined but I’d caution against tackling a rebuild yourself. It’s a big project, hugely time-consuming, and once into it you’ve got hundreds of parts all over the place that need to be cleaned and ultimately correctly reassembled. If a person finds themself saying, “How hard could it be?” that’s a bad sign. In this forum under the “Pedal Steel” section there are detailed examples of those who did push-pull rebuilds. They give a good idea of what’s involved and what’s involved is a lot.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 4:29 pm    

The fact that it seems partially assembled with a pile of removed parts makes it a bit of a project. The size of the project is difficult to quantify without detailed pictures.

What’s there, and what’s missing ? Hard to come up with a number without knowing what your getting.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 7:32 am     1400.00?

i will pay 1400.00 for it as is, and yes i can re-build it....thanks jack

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2019 12:46 pm    

Activate each pedal/lever and make a note of what strings are raised/lowered and by how much (semitone, tone)

Tell us the results, and then we can give you a better idea of if it needs setting up (which I doubt), and its value in its current state.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 3:50 pm    

it would be gone here in 2 mins at $1,400, more like start in the $2,000s

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2019 4:43 pm     price?

but if u paid 1400.00 and it is missing parts u could easily put another 1000.00 in parts plus a lot of labor, ask anyone that doe,s rebuilds....thanks jack