The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Celestion Speakers for Steel ??
Kevin Raymer

Chalybeate, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 7:31 pm    

I was surprised to see that the Quilter amp for sale on the forum had a celestion speaker in it.

Anybody else using celestions for pedal steel ??

David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 8:52 pm    

I put a 10" Celestion speaker into my Mustang I, replacing the stock 8" speaker...

It turned a practice amp into a well used small venue amp.....

here's a sound clip:

http://www.etsga.org/07%20Pan%20Handle%20Rag.mp3

I also have a 90 watt Fender solid state amp that came stock with a 12" Celestion speaker.... and the speaker has a great sound for, once again, the smaller venues. I find the Celestions speaker great to get a little "break-up" at a lower volume...in smaller rooms.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2014 10:44 pm    

I used a couple Celestion Classic Lead 80 12" speakers in my main recording rig for years. ( 1966 Fender showman head into a 2 /12" THD cab) Really great sounding speakers. I put an old Fane 12" into my 69 Fender deluxe and it was a perfect match to my ear. I am on a JBL kick at the moment but overall I tend to prefer English speakers.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 12:02 am    

I generally prefer JBL or Jensen, but the G12T-100 in my Mustang III sounds just fine. I keep thinking a Jensen, or Jensen flavored Eminence, might sound a bit better for the Fender amp models. In fact there is a Commonwealth 12 on Craigslist that I am sorely tempted to grab and try out in the Mustang, but I have no complaints about the Celestion. It's warm and clean and sounds great.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 4:11 am    

I have been using a 12" and a 15" Celestion Neo speakers. both sound good to me, with the GK MB200. The 15, especially.

Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2014 7:02 am    

2x12" Classic Lead 80's in closed-back cabinet for me. I like their regular response, and if you push them a bit they compress nicely. Very versatile.

James Yoder

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 3:07 pm     celestion speakers for steel

Bill Moore, how do you like you GK MB200? this is a unit I built.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:20 pm    

James, I like the MB200 a lot. It's light and sounds good. I have two of them; one is built into a cabinet with a 12" speaker, the other is just the head, so I can use it with any speaker. Once in a while I'll use both at the same time. Smile

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2014 5:41 pm    

a Celestion rep called me a few months back and I kept repeating the same thing over and over: make a JBL copy!

He thought I was insane, especially when I said price is no issue.

Oh well, no Celestion for me. That said, the greenback and creamback sound great for the British lead guitar tone. They make great speakers but they are kind of designed to breakup
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2014 7:19 pm    

Celestions sound too honky-middy for my ears. To me, pure steel guitar hell would be a Peavey amp with Celestion speakers. I had an Ampeg stereo chorus amp that I sold because of the Celestion speakers.otherwise it would have been a good pedal steel amp.I like JBL type speakers, but I have a Twin Reverb with a pair of speakers that a local tech buddy put together. The frames were from a old Peavey Mace that he reconed with the heaviest recone kit he could get. Those speakers sound like HEAVEN!!! in that amp!!!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 5:37 am    

History buffs? Jim Marshall used Celestion speakers in his 4X12 cabinets because they were the cheapest thing he could get by the boxcar. These were used by some of the most influential guitarists of the golden years, Eric Clapton with Cream, Jimi Hendrix etc. AC/DC, Van Halen, on and on. They blew up a lot an awful lot of cheap Celestions, but they got their cabinets free so they just carried walls of 'em, only the roadies suffered. And people like to hear what they get used to hearing, so blatty, near-death-experience Celestion speakers became one of the classic tones of rock. Now Celestion makes some speakers, the 80's and "Golds" and such that are designed to handle power better, but still providing the near-blown, blatty "rock 'n' roll" tone.

I somehow found out that Carlos Santana was hooking his howling tubes into JBL's, and Duane Allman used to hook his screaming Marshall heads into Altec-Lansings. These were speakers designed to handle the power levels without distorting (the speaker, at least). I found the clean speaker PLUS "terrorized-tube" tone greatly preferable to the "exploding speaker" PLUS "terrorized-tube" tone cultivated by many. You just have to try all this stuff, and some things will sound better to you than others.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2014 12:02 pm    

Seems like everyone puts their own spin on every subject, based on their personal experience. Here's mine; The Celestion neo speakers I use are bass speakers, and they work very well for pedal steel. Smile

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 30 May 2015 9:38 pm    

Hi Guys,

Celestion speakers are used by a variety of different amp companies including Orange Music Electronic Company, Vox and Marshall Amps.

So now, which one will be best for pedal steel?

Oh Well

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 5:59 am    

I have a pair of G12-80K's that have the right balance of 'angry' and clean... not sure if they're made any more.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2015 11:11 am    

My Dr. Z amps have Celestion Blues in them. Great for guitar, not so much for steel. I have an old modded 22 watt Princeton Reverb with a 12" Celestion G12H80. Sounds great for steel! Jerry and I used that amp at Performance Guitars to test each steel. Jerry loved it!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 12:33 pm    

Zombie thread revival:

Anyone come across the Celestion Neo 250 Copperback? Sounds like it would actually be a great steel speaker. Neo, 250W, transparent, no breakup, less midrange. It has my attention.

https://celestion.com/product/199/neo_250_copperback/

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 12:51 pm    

Yeah, I have one here.

It sounds great with pedal steel and its extremely light!
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 1:56 pm    

Tim Marcus wrote:
Yeah, I have one here.

It sounds great with pedal steel and its extremely light!

Tim - I almost reached out to you to ask if you had experience with it. That's good to hear! I was thinking 1 or 2 of those would pair nicely with the half & half 300 ps.

Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 2:36 pm    

Yes that would work well and be extremely light. They are lighter than my other Neo speaker options
Milkman Sound on Twitter

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 8:07 pm    

I have been getting a great sound (IMO) out of a Carvin half-open 2x12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30s. I ran the same amp into a closed-back Marshall 2x12 with Celestion G12T-75s and it didn't sound good at all. Could have been the cab design, could have been the speakers. Probably both.