The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Hartley
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 4:09 am    

I had a friend ask me how David did a certain phrase. It was one I wasn't familiar with, so I Googled up David's Youtubes and began trying to find it. Well, two days later and having gotten stuck many times trying to learn other wonderful nuggets of "SURPRISE-here I am phrases", I still haven't found the phrase I was in search of. No mater, I have found one thing! David Hartley is an exceptional musician, recording engineer and giving person. His Youtubes are a treasure trove to anyone attempting to learn this monster. His phrasing and attack/touch/tone, are as good as any and better then most. I only wish I had the ability to listen to something and remember every nuance of what I had heard. He can, does, and is amazing! If you don't know his music, search him out... If you are new at this, it is a must listen to and study!

David, we don't know each other except through the forum-my lose! Sir, I wish you well!

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:02 am     David Hartley

Hi Dick hope your doing well. I totally agree with you on David and his music he is a master at what he does.

Barry

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:54 am    

I subscribed to Apple Music a couple of months ago for the sole reason of discovering steel guitar music. David’s albums have been played more than any other players. I love his style, what a monster talent he is.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 11:11 am    

Yes... David is a "Master" on the steel and his phrasing is beyond most that play this "Fantastic" instrument. I wish he would post more of his video's
as he is one of my favorite players. His Palm Blocking style is at the highest level for accuracy,speed and his ability to engage the fret board is beyond reproach.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 12:33 pm    

One thing about David that sort goes unnoticed in these discussions, I suspect just because he is so good and precise with it, is his exceptional volume pedal control.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 3:36 am    

Ian Worley wrote:
One thing about David that sort goes unnoticed in these discussions, I suspect just because he is so good and precise with it, is his exceptional volume pedal control.

To me, it's something I don't notice, it's so smooth.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 7:11 pm    

I've spent many an evening enjoying his music. His lesson tabs are top notch as well

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2019 4:20 am    

yeah, he's as good as most of the very best players that get worldwide recognition.. There is not one steel player anywhere i would listen to before him, and he's just a regular joe that works a day job for a living..
If he had come here a few decades ago as a young man and moved to Nashville he could have had longstanding gigs with the top of the charts singers on tour, and been a highly sought after session guy as well.. He's better off doing exactly what he did however... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bishop Ronnie P Hall

Detroit, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 5:20 am    

He is my friend,
Bishop Ronnie P.Hall