The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Straight to amp, NO dingus, NO reverb, NO nothing
Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 8:04 pm    

Anyone do this?
I got annoyed with my BOSS digital delay the other day for making strange clicking noises and making my sound very processed and sterile. I decided to remove it completely, along with my reverb stomp box, which I also find makes me sound processed. Reverb makes me alter my picking attack and vibrato for the worse: I don't try as hard. I want to play dry with no effects and rely on wider vibrato to get that fuller, more chorusy sound that reverb normally gives you. ditched the overdrive too: Gimmick.

Go straight to the amp without any effects or reverb, preferably a nice warm tube amp. When recorded, it sounds like you're there playing with the listener right in his living room. Like that acoustic guitar part that comes on at the beginning of Pink Floyd's song "Wish You Were Here."

Anyone does this, at least for practice maybe? Any examples of pro's on recordings that play like this?

I feel like an outlaw rebel today. Who needs a helmet? Sissies. Milk and sugar in your coffee? drink it BLACK. dingus and reverb? ####! Laughing

My goal is to get my chops up to sound good without ANY effects, making that my sound.

I still use the volume pedal.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 11:34 pm     Re: Straight to amp, NO dingus, NO reverb, NO nothing

Jacek Jakubek wrote:
Anyone do this?

My goal is to get my chops up to sound good without ANY effects, making that my sound.

I still use the volume pedal.

Yes, I often practice that way. If you can make it sound good dry, it becomes great when you go onstage and go wet.

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 3:41 am    

I use a buffer and a passive VP, and that is all since the input-sensitivity and impedance for an NV112's power-stage is high enough to let me skip its input and eq stages.

Basic philosophy: what a PSG can do will have to do – during practice and on stage, just like when playing acoustic instruments. The PSG just needs amplification in order to be heard, and effects are reserved for when I want the PSG to sound like "something else".

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:06 am    

I run from my VP right to my amp with onboard reverb set very low . IMHO, most players use way to much delay and reverb !

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:25 am    

I only practice with no fx so I can hear. I only use a tad of reverb live anyways and there’s songs I don’t use reverb at all. Sometimes I forget to turn it back on and you can’t even really tell.

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:57 am    

Back in my younger days I used a rack unit with onboard effects. I'm too old to be carrying all that stuff around now and have replaced that rack with one amp. Fender Steel King. I don't use any effects on it except the reverb that is in the amp. It is set at about 45%. It seems to be working for me.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:18 am    

Quote:
Sissies. Milk and sugar in your coffee? drink it BLACK. dingus and reverb? ####!

What, praytell is a "dingus"?

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:52 am    

I have gone a step further and spent a year, a whole year, without using a volume pedal. I actually prefer it in some ways. This practice came in handy when I was setting up for a 4 hour show and the string in my VP broke. NO problem to adapt. Like they say, most of your sound is "in your hands" anyway. Picking hand dynamics are greatly exercised attempting to control tone and volume that way.

Delay is best when there is one repeat and mixed down to almost inaudible. At least, that's my opinion. On a bandstand you need all the clarity and focus you can get. It's usually cluttered sounding enough without adding a lot of effects.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Scott Denniston

Hahns Peak, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 7:04 am    

Ok I got it.

dingus noun

plural dinguses
Definition of dingus
1informal : an often small article whose common name is unknown or forgotten : GADGET, DOODAD sense 2
In his [Dashiell Hammett's] writings of the period from 1924 to 1952, "dingus" signifies, variously, a magician's prop, a typewriter, a short story, a novel, and an elusive artifact, a black bird better known as the Maltese Falcon.
— Mark McGurl
… the boy was decked out in a fancy uniform with silver buttons and a cap with a dingus on the top.
— Sholem Aleichem
2US slang : a dim-witted, silly, or foolish person —often used in a joking or friendly way
By most accounts, [Hunter] Strickland is actually a sweet feller. Respected by his teammates, nice to the fans, et cetera. But he sure is a dingus on the mound sometimes.
— Grant Brisbee
Think back to when you were 17 and how much of a dingus you could be …

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 8:24 am    

The word always makes me think of this passage from "If I Ran The Circus," which happens to be my favorite Dr. Suess story.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 8:50 am    

Al Perkins has pretty much always played without reverb.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 9:38 am    

I think it’s important to have chops and know how to use effects. I love reverb, delay, and volume pedal, but they don’t replace technique. I practice unplugged about 60% of the time, either with a metronome or nothing, then add effects when I am rehearsing a song with backing tracks. I don’t really care who plays live without effects because I don’t care for that dry sound. It’s a matter of personal taste. However, when I want to build or rebuild my sound from a tonal perspective, I always start with guitar straight and dry into front of amp.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 10:17 am    

Scott Denniston wrote:
Ok I got it.

dingus noun

plural dinguses
Definition of dingus
1informal : an often small article whose common name is unknown or forgotten : GADGET, DOODAD sense 2
In his [Dashiell Hammett's] writings of the period from 1924 to 1952, "dingus" signifies, variously, a magician's prop, a typewriter, a short story, a novel, and an elusive artifact, a black bird better known as the Maltese Falcon.
— Mark McGurl
… the boy was decked out in a fancy uniform with silver buttons and a cap with a dingus on the top.
— Sholem Aleichem
2US slang : a dim-witted, silly, or foolish person —often used in a joking or friendly way
By most accounts, [Hunter] Strickland is actually a sweet feller. Respected by his teammates, nice to the fans, et cetera. But he sure is a dingus on the mound sometimes.
— Grant Brisbee
Think back to when you were 17 and how much of a dingus you could be …

And, of course, the plural of dingus is dingi.

Razz

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 10:23 am     Steel guitar > volume pedal > amp

I've been doing it that way since about 1977. But what would I know? I'm just a dumb truck driver.

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 10:24 am    

So feeling you have to buy more and better effects is dingi fever?

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 12:11 pm    

I use a Dingus, because it gives it that certain “something “.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:41 pm    

Mike Bacciarini wrote:
I use a Dingus, because it gives it that certain “something “.

As opposed to using Something because it has that certain dingus quality.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:49 pm    

I wonder if Tony has seen this yet.

Click Here

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:57 pm    

No effects here other than a little reverb from my NV 112. I use a Steel Guitar Black Box also which puts the color back in my tone which is robbed from you using solid state amps.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 8:51 pm    

I learned the word "dingus" right here on the Steel Guitar Forum and it always makes me laugh...I call effects/stompboxes/gadgets dinguses now.

A little reverb is not too bad. But my Boss reverb stomp box played through a solid state Peavey was sounding sterile to me...The reverb-free sound just sounds so immediate, there are no veils. I'm fascinated with it recently.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 11:07 pm    

The “Magic Dingus Box” actually was a thing, as many here on the Forum know, that Danny Gatton mounted on his Les Paul, behind the bridge, presumably to achieve the aforementioned “something” that nothing else could. Not that he ever needed any additional somethings.

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 6:22 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
The “Magic Dingus Box” actually was a thing, as many here on the Forum know, that Danny Gatton mounted on his Les Paul, behind the bridge, presumably to achieve the aforementioned “something” that nothing else could. Not that he ever needed any additional somethings.

He also had it mounted in his Tele. Controls for a Leslie.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 9:19 am    

Couldn’t find a single pic of it mounted on his Tele, just the empty mounting plate.

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 10:26 am    

Danny's box also had controls for his echoplex I'm pretty sure. It had a big old cable coming off it going to multiple things. It was just remote switches and controls; his guitar signal didn't go through the box itself.

Around the same time Les Paul had controls for echo and sound-on-sound multitracking mounted on his guitar; he called his box the "Les Paulverizer." Ha...

I saw the two of them play together in the '70s in DC; pretty amazing!

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 11:28 am    

Jimmy Day is a perfect example of playing with no effects other than a touch of reverb on his amp.. He once said: "don't need all them boxes and $#*t, if it ain't in here (pointing to his chest/heart) you ain't gonna get it out of all that junk". When he began to play, you could hear a pin drop in the room! He most definitely had masterful touch, IMO.