The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Solid state amp players who also play guitar professionally?
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:02 am    

Josh Yenne wrote:

In the 70's and 80's everyone was being told that solid state was the new way to go... tube were the past...

Everyone was trying/playing solid state cause that was the predominate push at that time

Smile
Never a more true statement has been made ! When I started playing guitar back then, retailers were steering you towards solid state and away from tube. I aquired a master volume Marshall and hated it because I didn’t know how to make it sound good. I had very limited experience with tube amps, but could get a good sound out of a 2 channel ss amp. I finally had a guy take me under his wing and teach me how to get my sound out of any good amp. I wish I could go back to the days when they were more or less giving away low wattage tube amps...

To the op’s question. No, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a good ss amp for double duty. Seen lots of guys do it. They sounded good doing it. PV even had a city series amp for this purpose.

Corbin Pratt

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 6:03 am    

To the original question. I double duty on guitar and steel. I've always found it nearly impossible to find the perfect amp for both as I really like the AC30 sound for guitar and the Fender sound for steel. I've tried Peavey's for this and it's just tough to get the guitar sound I like with one even with the amp in a box approach. I recently purchased a Kemper and it solved this problem for me. I was really against the idea of this at first but I have changed my mind. It's fantastic for both. I have my clean twin sound and my crunchy AC30 sound. It's not perfect but it's really close.

Also, the Milkman Half and Half does a great job with double duty as well.

Show Pro SD-10, Shaw Amplifiers, Kemper

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:59 pm    

yea double duty is a WHOLE OTHER conversation for sure.

I've never found an amp that works great... I have a vibrolux reverb with the verb in both sides... it works okay but is WAY too many watts for guitar.... I like a Princeton reverb AT MOST for 6 string.. often use a 5 watt Victoria.

I play a lot of low volume gigs with my steel going through a Princeton with a 12 and its plenty for a decent drummer IMO (the 12 helps.. although I have a 10JBL that also handles great)

But the gain, eq, etc is just SO different from guitar to steel for me. The amount of verb i use is very different on each instruments. Also the EQ (if i'm trying to go into just one amp with an AB box or something) is way different.. i just end up tweaking the amp whenever switching.. and i often forget in the heat of the moment... so its actually WAY easier to just bring two amps...

Part of why i really do very few double duty gigs.. SO much work and effort... I just try to play one instrument if possible.. but when I do have to do it.. if its anything but a quick 1 set thing I'll bring two amps....

I had a MM half and half years ago.. it was great for steel but WAAAAAY too much power for any guitar gig for me.

Granted I like the tube amps to really be working.. and obviously there is always a good PA there so its not like the old days when you had to fill the open field with your sound.

A good overdrive helps for sure.. but NOTHING feels or sounds (but especially feels and LIVES) like some electrons bouncing around tubes and them being pushed.

I do tend to like over powered speakers.. I.E. a 50 watt speaker in a Princeton... just cause then you get the tight low end that does not flab out.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 5:56 am    

Josh Yenne wrote:
My questions is to folks that also play 6 string electric. Do you show up with a PV or do you use something else?

Weekend warrior here.....I show up with a Session 400 for steel, and a Roland Cube 80XL for guitar. I do own a couple of vintage Fender tube amps. When I play exclusively guitar, I sometimes bring the Deluxe Reverb, but the Cube has a "good enough" sound and all the built-in effects. I guarantee you that the audience doesn't hear any difference.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 11:53 am    

Every 3rd Weekend Warrior here. I run my guitar into a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc, and the steel goes to a Tech 21 Power Engine 60. Both instruments have their own dedicated multi-effects units (finally), and I use a Fender Twin amp modeler for the steel. This is very close to an ideal setup for me in terms of tone, volume, portability, and stage footprint. Never owned a Peavey, but I would certainly be willing to try one for the steel.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2019 12:15 pm    

For steel-only gigs I'll use either a NV112 or a Session 500-if the gig is "big-iron-worthy".Have a Rube Goldberg/Doc Brown-esque setup so I can graft sit-down six string into those systems for occasional use. I'm very pleased with what I get on both instruments.For half-steel half six-string gigs I'll use a Twin Reverb Custom 15 and run full rigs into each channel so I can play six-string standing up,which I like much better than playing six string sitting down.The Twin works fine too,although I like the Session 500 just a bit better for steel.....

But I do have a Milkman Half and Half on order and have figured out a way to graft a simplified stand-up six string rig on to its one channel.Looking forward to THAT. Winking

Here's a pic of the Twin-Reverb rig.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 1:21 am    

Played well over 1,000 guitar gigs before I even started playing steel. Probably 75% were played using a solid state amp. I used a Peavey Special 130, Lab Series L5, Roland JC and ultimately a set up using a Carver power amp and a modeling amp with a special cab. The one common thing in all of these amps was replacement speakers—I always upgraded the speakers in these amps to either EVs or Altecs. It made a tremendous difference, even in the Peavey. The Peavey was the harshest of all but I still managed to get some very nice sounds. I am not a purist, so various effects were often used.

Why solid state? Reliability, durability, ability to get a good sound at ANY volume. I never cared what anyone thought of my gear, I let my playing speak for itself. PS, I had many great and desirable tube amps but only used them on occasion if it was with a specific band such as a soul, blues or R&b thing. Couldn’t do the Pops Staples thing with a SS amp.

Ray Gehringer

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 3:28 pm    

Double duty with a Quilter Steelaire... I love it for Steel and 6 String. 1st gig I actually used it on was playing 6 string... practiced at home with it day of the gig and it sounded really good to my ears so I played the gig that evening with it and even got kind words from the soundman. I've had plenty of 60's and 70's Fender amps over the years and have parted with the last of them recently although I have held on to a Rivera Quiana (tube amp.) But if I could have only one amp it'd be the Steelaire because it does anything I need it to do... excels for PSG and on 6 string I use it for Country & Rockabilly through Stones type Rock and Roll.

In the end it's all subjective and I agree that good players usually sound good no matter what they use. Just my two cents worth.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 1:33 pm    

Interesting discussion about solid state vs. tube amps.

One small, but very nice thing about solid state amps is the instant gratification of turning it on and being able to play right away. Not having to wait that minute or so for the amp to warm up...Ain't nobody got time for that! Very Happy

Turning on a tube amp is like having to wait at a red light in your car before before you can go. Maybe that expression "good things come to those who wait" was coined by a guitar player waiting for his tube amp to come on.

Solid State: Like turning on the TV. instant.
Tube: Like turning on your computer. Got to "load" first.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 7:29 pm    

Now retired from live performance, but did it for over 40 years, guitar and steel.. Played everything at live performance venues at one time or another.. Standel/Peavey, in all tube, hybrid and solid state configuration/Ampeg/Gibson/Fender/Music Man/Traynor/Silvertone/Earth Sound Research/Sano/Roland/Lab Series/Vox/Plush/Carvin,,, They are all good sounding when they are in the right context . It depends on what you want.. I like Peavey SS amps.. However I can hear a difference in the original models from the 70's.. They had a warmth and "sweetness" that was lacking in the high powered, high featured models that came later,,
Fender tube amps are all good but again, there is a substantial difference between say a 1975 master volume Twin Reverb, a 66 Bassman with SS rectifier and a 69 Super Reverb with GZ34 rectifier.. ALL unmistakable Fender tone,all great sounding amps,,All very different tonally if you know what you are listening for.. You can't say which is better.. Its can't happen, its just too subjective.
Just the other day we were talking about Super Reverbs on this forum.. I stated that my best pedal tone ever in my life was with a Super Reverb.. To me it was.. To you it might have been crap. Its the same old same old. If you are good, your sound is good. VERY seldom do you see truly great players with really crap tone. Very rare.
Just as rare to see crap players with beautiful sound..
As long as you have sufficient power to do what you want to do, neither the brand of steel you play, or the amp its plugged into is going to make you sound great.. Nor will it make you sound like crap. That is STRICTLY a function of your head/hands/heart/ears. You sound good because YOU are good. Even poor gear can make great sound when used by a truly fine player, because they are able to compensate by virtue of sheer talent. Play what you like, its ALL good... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2019 9:06 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
Do they have a Steel Jam in your area, Josh?
Setting up right next to a tube amp guy made me realize how much tube and SS sound the same in the mix.

I'm inclined to agree. Almost nobody can listen to a recording and tell what kind of amp was used...unless distortion/overdrive is in the equation. From what I've heard over the years, the solid-state Standels were the first ones that could fool most any player. Neutral

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2019 10:48 am    

I apologize for commenting without comprehending the OP’s stipulation regarding players who currently play professionally. That era for me is a decade in the past, when I wasn’t even playing steel. But the Mesa Boogie Mk IIc+ was my tube amp in those days, and still is now for guitar. Powered speaker and the Boss amp modeler for steel now, whether doing double duty or not.

I still get paid when I play, and it keeps the dogs fed...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2019 1:17 am    

A valid discussion, PV for Steel vs the world for guitars !

Its near impossible if not totally impossible for 2 dozen players ( above) to claim what's good or whats not good.

Do I want the Steel to sound good or do I want the guitar to sound good ? Quite the dilemma.

What one player HEARS is totally different than another.

Like many here, I'm 50 years in with this Guitar vs Steel thing. Still at it. Other than using a Twin Reverb for double duty there is always compromise, the question always comes back to.."can we live with it, find our sweet spot tone ".

The Steel needs enough CLEAN gain to at times OVERRIDE the bandstand. Not that we do, but the ability to do it is paramount.

The guitar, for me, I need to hear the tube SAG when pushed , not the initial SS compressed signal.

I can live with the SS amps for guitar, it's not my favorite choice but I can find a way. I know there is a difference, I can hear it and I can feel it. I can compromise, sometimes.

Some gigs, I carry a N112 and a Blues Jr. There is no comparison of EL84 tones to the N112 SS clean. My bi- monthly show I now carry a DV Mark Little Jazz 12, the Steel is dominant, the guitar is secondary, I can make it work. The small amp is clean as all get go with just enough level for the Steel while the Tele is lacking in what I prefer, but its not that important on this show. If I bring out a Fender 40 watt 2x 6L6 amp the guitar is perfect and the Steel is lacking, as is the 50 watt Carvin 4xEl84 amp, same thing. I have never been able to even compromise with the PV N400 or the N112 for guitar tones. For a decade I carried a N400 and a Fender 6L6 amp. My choice, I was never fighting TONES. Consistency mattered.

Today, Guitar only gigs, it's either the Blues jr 2 x EL84 amp or the Dr Z / 4 x EL84 amp.

I no longer own a N400 or a 40 watt Fender platform . I still have the 50 watt/4xEL84 Carvin and the 60 watt Fender 6L6 amp which may see double duty now and then. But geeze, its near 60 pounds.

regardless of what we all think, it always gets back to knowing what we want to sound like and knowing if our gear can produce it. If we are spending gobs of time trying to find our tones, regardless of the amp, 1) the amp isn't right or 2) we really don't know what our tone is supposed to sound like !

Most steeler players dial in and we sound somewhat similar, providing the amp can deliver a clean tone, Guitar players are on different planets . We are not even close to being the same.

Oh and this may shock many of us who put a pedal between the guitar and amp, all of those pedals with the fancy names are not equal. Some are not worth the price of the cardboard box they come in and others are GOLD. The bad news is it may take years to figure out which one fits OUR style and idea of tones. Just because so and so has one is totally irrelevant. It easily can be another hundred bucks down the drain.

Now add that today if an amp weighs more than 25 pounds , it ain't happenin" ! Another clink in the chain. First it was tubes, then SS , now its weight.

Oh yeah and we all know every Telecaster sounds exactly the same !Very Happy

I think we have returned to the Chicken vs the Egg thing. I wanna sound great but it has to be less than 25 pounds.
Sad Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website