The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Tone Master - Got One
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 10:20 am    

I took the plunge, picked me up a new one yesterday from Sam Ash store in Coral Springs, Fla.

Here's how I made my choice between the Tone Master ($999.00) and the revised Fender Twin Reverb ($1499)
The related cost of each sort of played a small part in my decision. Their difference in weight took me for a loop, Tone Master is so light.

This past Saturday I went for another Tone Master test run. Chris, Sam Ash's store manager sat with me for over an hour going through all kinds of tests regarding both amps.

When I plugged a $600 Fender Tele in, WOW, what a heavenly sound. If you own a Twin then you know what I mean by that very unique Fender sound. Chris kept adjusting both amps to the same settings. After awhile he hit the perfect sound that I go nuts over.

When kept I playing the Fender Tele through both amps, I was convinced it would be the Tone Master. Then Chris took over, awesome Tele player, both Amps responded equally, he was amazed.

The only small difference was when switched the bright switch to high, there was a slightly more stronger signal than the Tone Master but to compensate the difference he dialed the Tone knob on the Tone master to #10. Very close indeed. The 65 Twin seems to have just a little higher boost, but to me it wasn't an issue.

That being said, the Tone Master would be my choice.

Yesterday when I arrived home I turned the Tone Master on, plugged my solid body Ibenze electric guitar.........bing, bame, boom...heaven again. This guitar cost me $300 back 10 years ago, it sounds just like a Fender Tele, unbelievable, I'M still flipping out over the Tone Master sound.

Then it was time for my new MSA Legend test run using an Alumintone Pickup, I also have a Telonics & 705 they'll be tested later.

I spent a few hours trying to adjust the Tone Master, I used the settings that Chris used in the store for the Tele sound that I liked. I used Rick Hines and Donny Hinson settings also. I'm not to where I would like the sound to be but'll get there soon or later. I have 2 other pickups to test also.

Bottom line for the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb.........GET ONE!!!!!!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 11:56 am    

Just curious...is your main instrument guitar or pedal steel? What will be your primary instrument played on this amp? I ask because you seem to have done all your testing with standard guitar.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 12:25 pm    

I ordered mine this morning. Should be here this weekend. We'll see.....

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 3:09 pm    

I've played two small local bar gigs now with mine (Twin Reverb tone master), and so far, so good. I'm really happy with it, as are my jealous band mates. It is so much easier to deal with also, compared to my rig of Black Box >> Quilter 201 >>reverb>> digital delay>>to remote speaker.

I was able to sell my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which covered half the bill on the new Twin. A couple more used amps to sell and I'll be flush.

I've had the attenuator dialed to 40 watts for these bar gigs and it's working and sounding great. At 40 Watts I'm only turning up to between 3 and 4 on volume. I'm anxious to crank it up somewhere at the 85 setting to blow back some hair.

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 3:14 pm    

i'm glad you found your sound. sometimes it requires a lot of testing.

one thing i've found, tho, is that unless it is due to the weight, a twin reverb can be found for much less than either of those. a buddy of mine just picked up a 68 for $400 and he knows of another one for just a little more than that. a lot of people are getting rid of them for the smaller amps, but, a lot of the steel players still love them.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 3:40 pm    

Michael Butler wrote:

one thing i've found, tho, is that unless it is due to the weight, a twin reverb can be found for much less than either of those. a buddy of mine just picked up a 68 for $400 and he knows of another one for just a little more than that. a lot of people are getting rid of them for the smaller amps, but, a lot of the steel players still love them.

play music!

I've got a band mate with a twin and a v-twin, but he, like me, doesn't like hauling the beasts anymore. I know it probably rubs hardcore tube twin aficionados the wrong way, this new "jiffy pop" lite version, but I'm really liking how easy it is to grab and go. I don't have to exhale and say to myself, "ok son, suck it up".

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 3:48 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Michael Butler wrote:

play music!

I've got a band mate with a twin and a v-twin, but he, like me, doesn't like hauling the beasts anymore. I know it probably rubs hardcore tube twin aficionados the wrong way, this new "jiffy pop" lite version, but I'm really liking how easy it is to grab and go. I don't have to exhale and say to myself, "ok son, suck it up".

yea, that's why i mentioned the weight. and, good that you do it now instead of when you get older when it would really be a struggle otherwise.

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 4:36 pm    

Michael Butler wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Michael Butler wrote:

play music!

good that you do it now instead of when you get older when it would really be a struggle otherwise.

I'm already there. Laughing 65 somehow. I think my calendar broke Laughing

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 12:28 pm    

JERRY
My main instrument is the pedal steel. I do play electric solid body & acoustic guitar, basically rhythm, country style, the easy stuff.

I was in the market for an older Fender Twin, 1960-70s but I just didn't want to take a chance in getting stuck with one that needed repair after repair. I always buy new, except when it comes to classic cars.

I'm enjoying the Tone Master, it's a different monster than my Peaveys especially with my electric guitar. I'm very satisfied.

I would suggest to any steel player to go ahead and test one out, especially if you play six string guitars.