The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vintage National Tricone Cones
Charles Z. Smith

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 10:11 am    

Hi all, a dealer I’m interested in has a 1928 National Style 1 Tricone (Hawaiian) in pristine condition at a really, really great price. He tells me it sounds great, but that if I were to buy it and play it out/tour with it it might be wise to switch out the original cones for new ones just for safekeeping. Are the antique cones particularly valuable? I mean more so than the new ones. I would think that without the guitar they wouldn’t sell for much more than the current productions. Any insight would be appreciated!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 10:44 am    

I had that exact model and year. the cones were replaced by Beard guitars I think and I had the original cones. I wouldn't say the old ones are particularly valuable, newer ones are going to make it sound better.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 3:10 pm    

I've used new National Reso-Phonic cones in several tricones and to me they sound as good or better than the original cones I've had. I have new National cones in my 1927 wood soundwell/soldered strips guitar, and they sound great.

Dave

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 5:50 am    

People who happen to have resonators that are old and still have the original cones tend to think they have some value, like me - I have a 1935 Dobro with the original cone and I quite like it. But aside from sentimentality, cones are considered wear items and they get replaced every so often by many players, particularly pro players who need a consistent great sound. A set of old cones is going to have no more that interest value, and probably end up nailed to a wall in a pub.

John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 6:23 am    

The late Don Young at Nat. Resophonic was dedicated to getting the cones right and tried a number of alloys, and gauges of aluminum to find the right material. He used to spin the cones himself for the longest time before he taught others to do it.
I have several old Nats that I pulled the original cones from and put in new ones and have been satisfied. My '28 tricone actually picked up a little more bottom end response with the new cones.
Yes selling the originals with the guitar is important to collectors in the same way that original (even worn out) speakers are to amp nuts.

Glenn Wilde

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 7:49 am    

If you like how the guitar is now, i wouldn't touch a thing. Play it and enjoy it as is. I have a '36 National with its original cone and wouldn't dream of changing it.

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 8:01 am    

same here, i wouldn't switch out my "27" cones for new ones.... has anybody even seen any 'originals' for sale?