The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country singers who hate steel guitar!
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 6:55 am    

Bill Miller wrote:
Johnny Cash couldn't have been much of a fan. There isn't much steel on his stuff as I recall.

Bill, back in 1980 I worked in Johnny Cash's studio. He came to the Musicians and asked us to take many of his tunes and make them not sound like CASH tunes. Modernize them. I played steel and I believe JC wanted to pitch to modern singers

Ron Hogan

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 9:27 am    

If the Cassette, LP or Cd doesn't have steel guitar on it,- I don't buy it. That is part of the reason that most of my 1500+ LPs and CDs are Hawaiian, Polynesian, South Seas etc etc. But I still enjoy Herby Remington, Leon, Lloyd Green, Gerry Byrd, Chris Kennison, Bobby Ingano, Alan Akaka, Greg Sardinha. Paul Kim, Eddie Panua, Duke Ching, Herbert Hanawahine, Doc Isaacs and many other steel guitar instrumentals. Very Happy Cool

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 11:23 am    

i made the mistake of buying two ray price albums with only orchestra. i immediately gave them to my mother-in-law (got back) and was wary of price albums after that.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 12:20 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
I have a recollection of reading about the 'celebrations' at the news of Jim Reeves' sudden death. Bobby Garrett and the Big E were, I think, participants. Somewhere on a night-ride in a band-bus, perhaps? It's a hazy memory.

Somehow I think their antipathy was due to Reeves' unpleasant demeanour rather than his aversion to steel guitars.

Cam anyone else recall that story?

Roger I don't know if Buddy was involved but I know Jimmy Day worked for Reeves. I also remember a story about Reeves kicking Bobby Garrett's steel down a flight of steps.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 4:38 pm    

Jim Goins wrote:
Hey Kevin, don't forget the Reso, Dobro.
Sorry Jim!!!!!! They are the best part of Blue Grass!!!!

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 6:50 pm    

If you don't like steel I don't like you.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 7:15 pm    

I am with Johnny, If you don't like pedal steel then I don't like you.For years now if their is not a steel or fiddle on a album/cd I do not buy it. J.R.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 7:56 pm    

Quote:
I heard a rumor that Eric Church didn't like steels.

In a Rolling Stone interview, he said he “f’ing hates steel guitar”. A douche moment for sure...

Quote:
Funny how everyone mentioned that doesn't like steel guitar, I really don't like either.

I never drew the correlation before, but I think this is probably 100% true for me too, as far as country artists go. Not that having fiddle and steel in your band alone makes you an instant favorite; you still have to be solid on every level. But if you don’t have them, with very few exceptions, you’re pretty much out of the running.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 4:41 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Quote:
I heard a rumor that Eric Church didn't like steels.

In a Rolling Stone interview, he said he “f’ing hates steel guitar”. A douche moment for sure...

Quote:
Funny how everyone mentioned that doesn't like steel guitar, I really don't like either.

I never drew the correlation before, but I think this is probably 100% true for me too, as far as country artists go. Not that having fiddle and steel in your band alone makes you an instant favorite; you still have to be solid on every level. But if you don’t have them, with very few exceptions, you’re pretty much out of the running.

A band I used to be in played a gig where we closed for Eric Church. This was in San Jose. I don't remember the year, but it was very early in his career. He came to Club Rodeo for an acoustic show. He and another guitar player. They played first and we played the rest of the night. He came up to sing 2 or 3 songs with us. Not impressed at all with him. He was an egotistical asshole.

I am not one who thinks a song, artist or band is not country if they don't have a steel guitar. I don't like the one's I listed because I don't like their voice and songs. A steel guitar wouldn't make me like them better. But it is an interesting coincidence.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 5:25 am    

going out an a limb here, but i don't think buddy rich liked steel guitar even though his name was buddy.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 7:34 am    

I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Randy Owens had some really unkind things to say about Lloyd Green and the steel guitar.

Far as Eric Church goes, I don't trust anyone who feels the need to hide behind sunglasses indoors.

I guess the question I ask myself concerning some of these steel guitar haters is do they really fit the OP's topic of country artist?

Oddly, the comments about omitting the steel guitar to appeal to a wider audience by these really pop artists is just the opposite of what some of my country rock heroes did. They appealed to a wider audience by adding the steel guitar Exclamation

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 8:19 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I don't know if it's true, but I heard that Randy Owens had some really unkind things to say about Lloyd Green and the steel guitar.

Far as Eric Church goes, I don't trust anyone who feels the need to hide behind sunglasses indoors.

I guess the question I ask myself concerning some of these steel guitar haters is do they really fit the OP's topic of country artist?

Oddly, the comments about omitting the steel guitar to appeal to a wider audience by these really pop artists is just the opposite of what some of my country rock heroes did. They appealed to a wider audience by adding the steel guitar Exclamation

Will Chris Hillman please come to a white paging telephone? Winking

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 8:51 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Far as Eric Church goes, I don't trust anyone who feels the need to hide behind sunglasses indoors.Exclamation

I feel the same way about Hank II. . .but at least he enjoys steel (I think?).

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 9:07 am    

Quote:

Oddly, the comments about omitting the steel guitar to appeal to a wider audience by these really pop artists is just the opposite of what some of my country rock heroes did. They appealed to a wider audience by adding the steel guitar

Yes I've got a lot of records by non- country artists which feauture at least a few cuts with steel.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 9:12 am    

Oops. Double post.

Last edited by Dave Hopping on 8 Nov 2019 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 10:25 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Far as Eric Church goes, I don't trust anyone who feels the need to hide behind sunglasses indoors.Exclamation

Hank II wears sunglasses because of a mountain cliimbing accident in Montana where his face was destroyed. He had to undergo about 30 plastic surgeries, he said without the glasses his face doesn't look very pleasant. The accident busted his skull open and he says he touched his brain. He wrote a book about it. But I understand he is a jerk. I saw him at Whisky River in Dallas about 1980. Merle Kilgore opened for him, and he got on stage and sang "Stoned at the Jukebox" during which he played lap steel, fiddle, piano, dobro, and guitar. It was absolutely phenomenal. At the end of the song he said Thanks folks and walked off the stage, that was the show!

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 10:27 am    

Gary Spaeth wrote:
going out an a limb here, but i don't think buddy rich liked steel guitar even though his name was buddy.

I understand they were preparing Buddy Rich for emergency surgery and they asked him if there was anything he couldn't take, and he said yes "country music".

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 11:02 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:
Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Hank II wears sunglasses because of a mountain cliimbing accident in Montana where his face was destroyed. He had to undergo about 30 plastic surgeries, he said without the glasses his face doesn't look very pleasant. The accident busted his skull open and he says he touched his brain. He wrote a book about it. But I understand he is a jerk. I saw him at Whisky River in Dallas about 1980. Merle Kilgore opened for him, and he got on stage and sang "Stoned at the Jukebox" during which he played lap steel, fiddle, piano, dobro, and guitar. It was absolutely phenomenal. At the end of the song he said Thanks folks and walked off the stage, that was the show!

I look out my office window at Ajax peak. The one he rolled down while hunting. Pretty sure he has long since healed up. Maybe not.

There are some infamous stories around here and more on the Montana side of the divide about him. One, my favorite, where he got punched out by a guitar player in a bar, because "II" kept telling him how to play the song and the guitar. The Marshall showed up after being called to the bar. "II" said, "you arrest that S.O.B., he punched me!". The Marshall said, sir, I cannot do that.
"II" said, "Why in the hell not?" And the Marshall said, "because sir, that is my brother playing guitar, and it sounds like you deserved it."

I guided III on a Salmon river trip around 1990 (i think). He was sent over by "II" delivered by a driver, to get him out of the house, doing something outdoors (which is admirable). III was alone with me in the boat all day running whitewater.I'm guessing he was maybe 13? He stared at his feet all day long. He was not happy, or so it appeared, being forced to go down the river for the day. I tried to ask him questions about music, but he'd have nothing to do with it. I don't blame him, I was supposed to be a guide, not an annoying fan.
I like what Hank III is doing; has a voice much like #1.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 11:22 am    

!
Quote:

I look out my office window at Ajax peak. The one he rolled down while hunting. Pretty sure he has long since healed up. Maybe not."

I saw him on TV when he took his glasses off, it looked like he still has a lot of scars around his eyes, but it didn't look too bad, I am sure decades ago, it looked terrible as scars lessen and become smoother with time.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 1:05 pm     Steel Haters in Oklahoma

If you don’t like steel guitar in Oklahoma, we’ll just say, “I’ll see yee then”! 😉

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 1:45 pm    

Here is one on a positive note that loved Steel Guitar. Two years ago the group I work for was doing a small town Festival here in Michigan and the group that played after us was Steve Moekler. New in the country scene. He was listening to us while we did our set. He did not have a Steel Player. It was 95 degrees and hot. Long story short, he introduced himself to me and asked if I would work for him. I told him thank you. It was very tempting, but, I am getting old and tired with a lot of miles behind me. My oldest daughter was at that show that day and found out what I did. She rode my case for a year after that one! He was a Steel Guitar fan for sure.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 2:27 pm    

If there is indeed a medical or other good reason for Church's shades, then perhaps I was too harsh. Either way, still not on any of my play lists.

Stephen Pride

Berkeley, CA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 9:48 am    

Is Willie Nelson another example? Didn't he have steel on some of his early records, but then by the 70's or 80's he didn't have any more?

I love a lot of his music, but I can't stand the harmonica in it. I love blues harp, by players like Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson, but country harmonica always sounds stupid and corny to me. Every time a harmonica comes in on an old Willie Nelson song, I cringe and wish it were a steel instead.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 10:09 am    

Pete Drake was featured on several of Willie's songs. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the album.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 10:15 am    

Jimmy Day also played on some Willie recordings. I have an earlier Willie LP with a lot of steel by Day.

I have to agree. Mickey Raphael is a fine harp picker, but I always felt it was overdone...especially on the TV specials. I mean...take a breath...

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 8 Nov 2019 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total