Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 9:55 am    

How do I change out a pickup on an Emmons Push-Pull

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 2:45 pm     P/U change

Hi Steve,
I'm no expert in this, but I have done it before. This will give you an idea of what you're gonna have to deal with. It's sorta involved, but not rocket science. First thing is make sure the new pickup is the same height and is a wide mount like the old one.
On the guitar, start with it upside down in the case with the legs on. Have it on a bench or something that you can comfortably work on the underside. Then, make sure you know where the hot and ground wires are connected, hot to the switch & ground to a ground connection. You'll have to follow them from where they come through the body, inside the (usually) larger grey wire that contains both hot and ground. Unsolder those two wires. I take photos with my cell phone to have for when you put the new pickup on. Loosen any wire holders that are holding the wires to the body, and slide the wires until they're cleared and are available be pulled through the body. Let them be loose with no obstructions for later when you pull them through.
Then flip the guitar back rightside up and remove the strings. The pickup is mounted via 4 allen screws that are holding it on. Be real careful, and remove them. The pickup magnet will want to pull them to it. If you use a magnetized allen wrench, that will help with that issue, but there are also springs they are mounted through and they too can be pulled into the magnet of the pickup or pulled down into the changer. You'll have to remount the new pickup screws through those springs so be careful not to lose them. After the screws and springs are out, lightly pull the pickup up and out, feeding the wires through, holding them with your fingers so you don't pull the wires out of the pickup, and making sure they're not caught on anything.. Make sure you know where the hole is they came out of for feeding the new wires back in. At this point it's out and you're halfway home.
To mount the new one, you just basically reverse the whole process, which is very involved, and can take a couple hours. Also keep in mind that if someone has done it before there could be some differences in the mounting situation.
Again, i'm no expert, but have done it before. I think I have covered most everything, but there's cats on here who know better than me about lots of this and I hope they'll chime in for any details.
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that if you have any PSG mechanics within 100 miles of you to take you guitar to them to get it done, and closely watch what and how they approach it.
Good luck, and all the best,
Pat