The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is the show Pro built by sho bud?
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 5:01 pm    

just wondering.

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 5:21 pm    

No.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 9:48 pm    

Jeff Surratt started Show Pro with the help of Duane Marrs. Duane worked for Sho-Bud for many years, and the design of Show Pro guitars can be said to be fairly directly descended from Sho-Bud, but with the issues later-model Sho-Buds had resolved (i.e., the notorious pot metal parts).

If any brand of pedal steel can be said to be descended directly from Sho-Bud, it would be Jackson, as they are built by Shot Jackson's sons.

The Sho-Bud name was bought many years ago by Gretsch guitars, so no one can use that name without agreement by Gretsch. Of course, any brand of guitar stands alone, on it's own merits, and we steelers are currently blessed with a large number of quality builders. You certainly could not go wrong with a Show Pro!

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 4:49 am    

Sho-Bud name currently copyrighted by Fender (who purchased the Gretsch company) and when I last researched the subject, have no immediate plans to build steel guitars.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 1:45 am    

Definitely not built by Sho-Bud, but one of the high-end steels and much favoured by session-players for the tone and playability. Jeff Surratt builds one of the best steels money can buy.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Nicholas Dedring

Beacon, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 9:06 am    

I've got an early Sho-Bud that Duane and Jeff restored/rebuilt, and it's an incredible guitar. If the new ones are anything like mine, I'd say you'll be all kinds of happy.