The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Telonics Pre-1000
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 3:00 pm    

Just got one, haven't hooked it up yet:

How is it direct out with the "modeling" feature?

What is the "Bro" effect and how is it?

Built in reverb? Decent?

thx

bob

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 12:38 am    

Congratulations, it's a great machine. I've found that the modeling feature is essential if you want to go direct into the console or recording device. For my perspective it doesn't so much give you the complex character of a speaker cabinet but it does clean up, stabilize and beautify the signal so that it sounds right and the dynamics fit how a speaker cabinet performs. Without it the sound from any pre-amplifier is much harsher.

The "Bro" effect is an attempt to create a dobro like sound. It's probably one of the better offerings of that type but if I were to use it in earnest I'd add heavy EQ to get closer to a real dobro.

The built in reverb is quite decent. I believe it is based on a carefully prepared analog delay line but have no information about that. There is somewhat of a slap back effect with it which I really like. I keep it on even when I add an additional reverb. It's main limitation is that it is mono so you don't get the wrap around sense of a real physical chamber in headphones.

Try playing with the Blend knob. It can be used to instantly switch between a bright aggressive tone and a mellow one (if you switch to a C6 neck for example) without losing punch and definition.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 6:33 am    

Thanks, Steve.

bob