The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Steel King Settings
Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:04 am    

Just got a Steel King and am used to my peavey equipment..can anyone help me out on rough in settings for this amp that they use?? Thankz!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 7:12 am    

Derrick, if I'm not mistaken, there are some settings listed in the rear of the Users Manual which is a pretty good place to start. If you don't have the manual let me know and perhaps I can scan them and send them too you.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 10:18 am    

I always start with all the knobs straight up. Depending on the venue, sometimes all it takes is a slight adjustment of the Tilt knob.

A couple of years ago we played at an event that was held in a large venue that could probably accommodate 400 people. It is a very "bright" sounding room with a concrete floor and block walls. Great natural reverb, by the way.

I played my BMI S-10 (705 pickup) through my Fender Steel King and was very pleased with the sound. Here are the settings I used:

Treble 12 o'clock
Mid Level 11 o'clock
Mid Frequency 1 o'clock
Bass 1 o'clock

Because the room was pretty bright sounding I dialed the EQ Tilt back to 10 o'clock.

I had my guitar running through a Sarno FreeLoader and a Goodrich pot pedal. I had the FreeLoader dialed back to 6. Usually I run it at 8. Again, it is a very "bright" sounding room.

Again, I always start with all the knobs straight up at 12:00 o'clock.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 10:28 am    

I've gone back and forth between Peavey steel amps and the Steel King a few times. Both sound great to my ears but I prefer the lows and mids in the Steel King. Your guitar, pickups, effects and cord etc will all affect your sound as well as your playing technique. Preferences come into play a lot too. Assuming that your Steel King has the OEM speaker, you should be able to get a good sound with these settings with the amp up on a chair:

Steel King Settings (O'clock positions)

Gain = 10
EQ Tilt = 10
Treble = 2
Mid Level = 10
Mid Freq = 2
Bass = 2
Reverb = Off (I use external reverb)
Master = 12
Normal Switch Out
Limiter Switch In

Similar settings have worked great on my Sho-Bud, Williams and Excel guitars with various pickups.

I did run a Peavey Black Widow speaker in my Steel King for a few months and that required some changes to the above settings.

After swapping a MOD reverb tank for the OEM tank, it impressed me how close the Steel King reverb sounded to a good reverb stomp box set on hall mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 11:24 am     Fender Steel King

I had a steel king and I can truthfully say it was one of the best sounding steel amps I ever owned. It had a tube sound, yet without the tubes. I have had several other brands of amps but the Fender Steel King is one of the best.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 1:43 pm     Thanks for these replies

Thanks for the replies fellows...I really appreciate it..it looks like about straight up is the preferred starting point
with slight adjustment to taste from there..again thanks!!

Greg..thanks for such detail that is a great reply!!
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 3:21 pm    

EQ Tilt: 9 o’clock for C6 and around 10 or 11 for E9.
Treble: around 11 o’clock.
Mid Level: 10 or 11 o’clock.
(Mid Level doesn’t work unless the Mid Frequency knob is moved from the center setting.)
Mid Frequency: 11 o’clock.
Bass: 1 o’clock
Reverb: 10 o’clock