The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  We are a lucky community
rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 7:17 am    

It seems like we live in an era where customer service takes a backseat to corporate profits. But not in the steel guitar world.

I've recently been doing some gear upgrades and have reached out to a number of dealers and builders. Jim Palenscar, Chris Parks at Quilter, Bill Ferguson, Dave Beatty at Telonics and Mike and the team out in Mullen's shop. Everyone gets an A+ in my book. Thanks to all for their great help and service.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 7:41 am    

I agree. Mercifully, the steel guitar is still a tiny industry and there's no place for 'corporate streamlining' in our world.

We are very lucky in this regard.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 8:11 am    

Wait Roger, I've just about finished my Streamliner.
Just waiting for the seats to come in. Crying or Very sad

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 8:37 am    

Thank you for the kind words Rick.

I have been in business for myself since I was a teenager. When I started selling steel guitar products as a sideline, some 30 years ago, I vowed that I would treat each and every customer the way I like to be treated.

Fair, a good price and great service.
And most of all, kindness.

Plus, stand behind what I sell.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 9:18 am    

Bill Ferguson wrote:

Plus, stand behind what I sell.

Wouldn't SITTING behind it be better, Bill? Laughing

My Dad used to have an old Army buddy who ran a John Deere dealership in Minnesota. His line was "We stand behind everything we sell - except the manure spreader!"

But joking aside, I agree that we have a great family, both the companies that make our items and those who are involved "on the side" doing stuff as much or more for the satisfaction and contribution, than for the money.

rick andrews

Westminster Co 80031
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 10:02 am     Whoops

In my original post I failed to include Brad Sarno to the list. My mistake, sorry Brad. I should finish my coffee before posting.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 9:00 pm    

Mike Brown and the folks at Peavey have been very good to us for many years. There's too many to mention them all, but these need to be included.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 2:29 am    

I'd like to include the Rollans family. It's been a while since I had any dealings with them but that's just because their Steelers' Choice seats are so good.

My two did need some leg-height adjustment many years ago but I've never forgotten how accommodating they were. These two seats will easily 'see me out'.

Add the fact that Paul Franklin occasionally finds the time to answer questions in a thoughtful way and that another of the best players living, Buck Reid, worked on my steel guitar last month and you can conclude that our community is unique.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 6:20 am    

And let's for sure not forget the ones that are always willing to offer advice, particularly to the "newbies".

We have to keep our instrument alive and well and this is the place to do it.

So a BIG thank you to bOb Lee for this forum.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 2:39 am    

My experience with the steel guitar community has been singularly unique in it's accommodations to me from the very first question I ever asked of anyone in it - Which was before I was even aware of the forum, When I found Jim Palenscar at random on a web search to ask him if an old '69 Zane Beck would be a good guitar to buy for a guy wanting to get into it. His time to email a guy who may have just been asking stupid questions, with no intent on buying or doing anything, back and forth with valuable and detailed opinions was surprising to me, and deeply appreciated - and heeded.

And on to all of the great old hands of pedal steel guitar giving freely of their experience and knowledge to a guy, though not a newcomer to music and performance, a total newcomer to the pedal steel - right up to the biggest, and (I assume) one of the busiest of all, Mr Franklin, who has taken time to very graciously, and in detail, answer questions that must seem to be so rudimentary, that a lot of big guys would not waste their time with.

Then, there is the forum, which is a source of such a vast varied and invaluable body of knowledge to a newcomer. Bob runs a class act here - and, most thankfully, keeps the political BS swept clean, which assures a purely on topic use of ones time.

In over two years of intensive digging into this endeavor, I have not had anything but good, kindly and valuable experiences with the steel guitar community as a whole. I am humbled, appreciative and enrichened to have met you all - good subject here.