The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PBS Country - Ken Burns & Johnny Cash
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 10:17 am    

Just curious, of all the country music artists appearing on PBS Country Music Series, who got the most amount of appearance time?
Johnny Cash (very good life story of Johnny)

Ricky Skaggs
Marty Stuart
Roseanna Cash (I only recall that she had recorded one big hit that I listen to, "Seven Year Ache)

WHO WAS LEFT OUT: I got a few
Ray Pillows
Kay Adams
Mel Street
The Whites
Dawn Sears
Red Sovine
Stonewall Jackson
Tracy Bryd
Mark Chestnut
Charlie Walker
Tracy Lawrence
George Morgan
Tommy Overstreet
The Marvericks
David Ball
Mark Chestnut
Confederate Railroad
Holly Dunn
Sweethearts of the Rodeo
Ned Miller

African American Country Artists
Big Al Downing
Tri In Trigg
Linda Martell
La Melle Prince
Stephen Pride
Tony Jackson

Rosie Florez (American-Mexican)
Trish Hinojosa (American-Mexican)

I can go on, my list is endless of Country Artist that I have enjoyed since I was 7 years old in 1956.

Ray Charles said the coolest, 'I don't play Jazz, Blues, Rock, Pop, I play MUSIC!

JEAN SHEPPARD, "If a band doesn't have a pedal steel or fiddle, they ain't country"

But then again, It's all just music, billions of songs to listen to

My last comment
Ken Burns has produced excellent documentaries in the past, I've enjoyed them over the years, here's how I rate them:
1- CIVIL WAR
2- PROHIBITION
3- JAZZ
4- BASEBALL
Last but not least,
5- COUNRTY MUSIC

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 12:51 pm    

I didn't notice any mention of Stoney Edwards who I think was third in line in terms of black country artists behind Pride and Deford Bailey, although artistically I think Stoney Edwards was the most sophisticated and interesting.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 12:54 pm    

I thought his VietNam special was excellent!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 1:04 pm    

And No Jerry Garcia. How can you take any country music doc seriously without at least one full segment dedicated to country music’s finest steel guitarist?

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 1:43 pm    

What about Cowboy Weaver?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 1:51 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
What about Cowboy Weaver?

Wasn't he once detained for, how you say in your country, "interference"?

He was still at large in 1983 when I saw him in Nashville. Spoke to his son a bit, but refrained from bringing up the laundry.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 5:23 pm    

My favorite Burns documentaries were Vietnam and Prohibition.

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 4:44 pm    

no mention of johnny horton either who had million sellers. being johnny cash's best friend should have at least got honorable mention since they covered everything else about cash. and marrying hank's widow should have helped.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 12:44 am    

while I agree that he went overboard with Cash, but the premise was the HISTORY of change, the artists that brought about change . He attempted to spotlight artists who brought about change to the music , it wasn't about popular artists.

For Ex, Loretta brought change, Dolly brought change, Seely brought change, Martina , as excellent as she is , her music is about her vocals , she didn't alter the music. The door was already open.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 8:33 am    

I agree with you, Tony. Telling the history of anything is not so much about who rode the waves of change, but who started the tsunami in the first place.

On TV, a good producer will familiarize the audience with a few choice spokespersons whose knowledge and word can be trusted among their peers, who are comfortable on camera, are available to put in the time, and have broad name recognition.

Of course there are plenty of other deserving names out there, but after getting 4 or 5 talking heads thrown at them, how many in the viewing audience are already asking, “who is this, again?”

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 8:51 am    

Plus, the Cash Family is a direct route back to the Carters, where it all began. Ricky is largely responsible for bringing a trad bluegrass sound to pop country as a member of Emmylou’s late 70’s Hot Band, and then on his own. Marty...well, he is just amazing and he knows everything and has a lot to say about it!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 10:23 am    

Fred:

Well said. I think that a handful of spokespersons were selected on the basis of their availability and, of course, willingness to participate. We came to accept the choices and Rosanne, Marty, Merle (to some extent) and Dwight were able communicators.

I still say that Glen Campbell merited more than two fleeting lines. He drew millions to the genre with his more sophisticated musical approach.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 12:55 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
I didn't notice any mention of Stoney Edwards who I think was third in line in terms of black country artists behind Pride and Deford Bailey, although artistically I think Stoney Edwards was the most sophisticated and interesting.

I'm not sure why Stoney Edwards wasn't a well known star, but one contributing factor for why he wasn't was his controversial 1976 song, "Blackbird". It was a song about black pride, but it mentioned the 'N' word in the lyrics. As a consequence, after that song came out many radio stations would not play it.

"Blackbird (Hold Your Head High)":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkATTkgBVuk

Here's my favorite Stoney Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qriRfcvOZY

If that's not country music, then nothing is.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 1:54 pm    

After seeing all episodes of Ken Burns' Country Music documentary, I feel it was done okay, but mis-titled. It should have been titled "Country Music: Biographies of Some of it's Most Well Known Artists". That would've justified some glaring omissions to the country music pantheon.

In light of the generalized documentary title, many should have been included whose contributions to the genre were as great or greater than those selected. Alas, others have mentioned some of those artists multiple times.

For me, the Bakersfield 'chapter' missed very seminal artists who either helped or influenced Buck and Merle. Names like Wynn Stewart, who wrote and gave Merle his first recorded song, "Sing a Sad Song". Also it was Wynn who gave Merle his first opportunity to perform in front of an audience (at Wynn's "Nashville West" club in Nevada).

Among the names that should have been included are Ken Nelson of Capitol Records and his associate Lee Gillette; Cliffie Stone, Merle Travis, Tommy Collins, the aforementioned Wynn Stewart and last but not least, Ralph Mooney. Without diminishing their contributions, it should have been noted that Buck and Merle stood on the shoulders of all of these people.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn