The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking of re stringing my pedal steel for non pedal C6
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 9:20 am    

I have a 10 string E9 PSG, and I just don't think I'll ever catch on to pedals / levers. I just don't really enjoy the complexity of it all. I do enjoy playing non pedal c6. I am thinking about re-stringing the psg to C6 non pedal...anyone done this? My guitar has non gauged rollers and the manufacturer has told me that it would be fine to string it with standard C6 psg set. The pedals are not able to be re-configured. Any better tuning than the normal C6 PSG tuning? I'm used to C E G A C E six string tuning.

Christopher Blood

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 11:18 am    

Looks to me like you already have C6 non pedal instruments.
If you're sure you don't ever want to play PSG 10 string, sell it or trade it in on something that meets your needs.

It gets frustrating trying to turn apples into oranges (trust me I know). I have a Carvin 8 string console that I am using 6 strings tuned to open G.

Are you not wanting pedals at all? Or just wanting to stay C6 all the time? If not wanting pedals but wanting a console instrument instead of lap, there are 6 and 8 string consoles out there OR you could buy legs for your current 6 string lap steel.

Speaking of Peavey have you ever tried one of their Powerslide guitars?

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 11:52 am    

Well, a couple of reasons. For one, it’s an almost new guitar just not being played. Secondly, it has a very nice sound. Also a factor is that the change would be easily reversible if desired. I only have six strings, so the extra strings might come in handy as well. As for the Peavey, I’ve messed with one in the local music store, seemed ok, but was tuned in open E, which I’m not familiar with, so I really couldn’t tell much about it. I think it is a decent guitar, would be nice if you want to play standing up. I have considered trading the psg, if the right thing came along, maybe a high quality non pedal or a vintage fender double neck or something. My guitar is a GFI Student model S10. Great little guitar.

Paul Strojan

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 8:21 pm    

I to started on lap steel and find E9 pedal steel frustrating because so little that I learned on lap steel transfers over to pedal steel. I am thinking about retuning my 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings on my e9 neck to e13 tuning. It would be F#, G#, E, C#, B, G#, F#, E, D, B. Strings 2-6 and 8 is an E6 the tuning that Don Helms used with Hank Williams. Add in the bottom two strings and you have Little Roy Wiggins E13th. Both have songbooks in print. In my view, the best part of re-tuning to e13 is that you retain the most functionality of the pedal steel.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 9:17 pm     Been there, done that

I'd get the C6th psg strings, put them on, but leave off strings 1 & 10.
So that would be E C A G E C A F higest to lowest. Later on you could add a high G or D. Leave the pedals on the bicycle
Smile