Author Topic:  Quilter Travis Toy 12 Signature Steel Guitar Combo Amp
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 11:37 am    

Thanks for reporting!

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 1:26 pm    

I receive my TT12 last Tuesday. I haven’t tested it out on a gig yet, but my first impressions are good. If I were to sum up in one word, it would be “tight“, in a good way. The speaker cab is quite substantial, and the 202 fits in quite well.

The volume output is very good. But I haven’t tried it out on a loud stage. The low end is remarkable for such a small cabinet. And it wouldn’t distort when pushed with very low chords and a hard attack. The mid range seems very adjustable. I’ll report on the highs, when I have a chance to try it out on a gig. The one knob reverb is a welcome change.

My only complaint is that the controls are awkward to get to from a seated position. I may take the amp out of its alcove when performing live.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 7:57 pm    

Jon Jaffe wrote:
I receive my TT12 last Tuesday. I haven’t tested it out on a gig yet, but my first impressions are good. If I were to sum up in one word, it would be “tight“, in a good way. The speaker cab is quite substantial, and the 202 fits in quite well.

The volume output is very good. But I haven’t tried it out on a loud stage. The low end is remarkable for such a small cabinet. And it wouldn’t distort when pushed with very low chords and a hard attack. The mid range seems very adjustable. I’ll report on the highs, when I have a chance to try it out on a gig. The one knob reverb is a welcome change.

My only complaint is that the controls are awkward to get to from a seated position. I may take the amp out of its alcove when performing live.

Nice to hear Jon! Thanks for putting your faith in me. Haha. Concerning the highs and mids especially, make sure you experiment with the “voice” switch. My usual favorite is the vintage position, which kills a little bit of the general overwhelming mids of steel, and gives the highs a sort or Fender-ish sparkle. Note: This position is actually making the bass and treble knobs (mid stays active but still changes voicing) passive. So, 10 is the sound of the amp, and you’re only cutting. Instead of active, where 5 is “flat” and you’re adding or subtracting.

Bottom line...experiment. You can get a HUGE variety of sounds out of this combination of amp, cab, and speaker.

-t

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 4:11 pm    

Did a new video walkthrough today...

https://youtu.be/w_TDalVPFbU

-Travis

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 6:34 pm    

Cool, is it safe to say a video demo of you playing the amp is forthcoming? Looks like a very well thought-out setup.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 6:37 pm    

Chris Grigsby wrote:
Cool, is it safe to say a video demo of you playing the amp is forthcoming? Looks like a very well thought-out setup.

Chris, I’m gonna try to get that done very soon. It was all I could do to get 15 minutes to do this video today. Ha. I’m running around like crazy between sessions and Flatts commitments.

-Travis

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 10:43 am    

Pretty cool rig, Travis! I would suggest a slight mod to the retaining panel that holds the Block in place:

Make it so the screws don't come completely off, then you gotta keep track of 2 loose bits.

Make it more like the clamps on a psg pedal rack, loosen one side, slide away the retaining clamp or sleeve, then the panel swings down.

No need to remove the other screw, just loosen a little bit so panel can swing away and release the Block.

Ya think that has merit?

I'm sure other forum geniuses can envision even better solutions to banish lost thumbscrews.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 10:47 am    

John McClung wrote:
Pretty cool rig, Travis! I would suggest a slight mod to the retaining panel that holds the Block in place:

Make it so the screws don't come completely off, then you gotta keep track of 2 loose bits.

Make it more like the clamps on a psg pedal rack, loosen one side, slide away the retaining clamp or sleeve, then the panel swings down.

No need to remove the other screw, just loosen a little bit so panel can swing away and release the Block.

Ya think that has merit?

I'm sure other forum geniuses can envision even better solutions to banish lost thumbscrews.

Hey John! It has merit for sure, but you’re talking about modifying an existing platform that Quilter has had in place for a while. Not just my model. I didn’t in the video, but I usually just put the panel back on as soon as I take the amp module out.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 10:52 am    

That's a simple solution, TT. I always have wheels spinning. You still teaching that one Steel Resolve youngster?

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 7:15 pm    

Tone Block 202 list $575. TT 12” speaker list $225. So why is the combo listing for $1,300?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 5:37 am    

Gotta add in the Block Dock, tilt back legs, custom badging to that price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 6:10 am    

Yep, look at the price for the Block Dock with a standard speaker, the add the upgrades for the TT12 and legs. Falls right in line with it’s $1299.00 price.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 8:30 am    

Bruce Bjork wrote:
Tone Block 202 list $575. TT 12” speaker list $225. So why is the combo listing for $1,300?

Bruce, you’re leaving out the Block Dock 12HD cabinet, which lists for $499. All of those together, put you at $1300. You’re really getting the extra stuff we added for free.

-t

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 8:34 am    

Thanks Travis, I've been thinking about putting a TT12 in my BOSS Katana 100 but may have to bite the bullet and just get your new amp.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 8:45 am    

Bruce Bjork wrote:
Thanks Travis, I've been thinking about putting a TT12 in my BOSS Katana 100 but may have to bite the bullet and just get your new amp.

Gotcha. This amp is definitely in a completely different class than a Katana.

-t

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 2:35 pm    

Travis, what do you think of your new amp in terms of being a Swiss Army Knife unit?

I'm getting to the point in life where I'm in downsizing mode. I want to gradually get rid of stuff. I would like one amp that can do a solid job on pedal steel, lap/non-pedal steel, and standard electric guitar.

I would still keep a separate acoustic amp for dobro and flattop acoustic guitar.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 21 Oct 2019 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 2:53 pm    

Mark Eaton wrote:
Travis, what do you think of your new amp in terms of being a Swiss Army Knife unit?

I'm getting to the point in life where I'm in downsizing mode. I want to gradually get rid of stuff. I would like one amp that can do a solid job on pedal steel, lap/non-pedal steel, and standard electric guitar.

I would still keep a separate acoustic amp for dobro and flattop top acoustic guitar.

Hey Mark. The cool thing about the 202 head is that it’s an amazing 6 string guitar amp. I get great lap steel sounds out of it as well. You can get a really wide range of sounds/tones out of it.

-t

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 3:03 pm    

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply.

I periodically try to to keep up with all the product changes and new introductions at Quilter - there have been plenty over the past several years - but I'm afraid I've been failing miserably in staying current.

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 3:44 pm     Quilter TT-12 Review

I have used the TT amp in three different venues the previous week, two were with sound reinforcement, and one was a stage mix. There were microphones placed on the speaker, and the amp I tilted on its legs. I did not receive any feedback on how the amp sounded from either my fellow musicians or the sound guys. Until curiously, on the third gig, a man came up to buy some merch, which was sitting beside me. And as he picked up a paid-for CD, he said, " My wife sent this to the steel guy." and handed me a $20 bill. I am approaching my seventh decade, and I think she was complimenting my sound, not my hat.

The first venue was the Broken Spoke, a legendary Austin honky-tonk with a horrible stage and no sound reinforcement. I placed the amp on a folding chair and arm's-length behind me. The dance floor could hear me well, but the amp is very directional, and the guitar player two doors down could not. My rig consists of a Kline U – 12, into an old Steel Driver, then to an active volume pedal and then the amp. With the tone switch in the middle, I had to goose the treble on the steel driver. I switched to the vintage setting, and that was excellent. Steel Driver flat, Bass 10 o'clock, Mid 9, Treble 12, Reverb 12.

The next venue was the White Horse. It is a ten-year-old club filled with dancers. They have sound reinforcement, but the stage is so low that the dancers muffle the sound. I placed the amp to my right and tilted. I used the settings described above. I positioned the amp so it would project leftward towards the guitar player and me. It sounded great to me, but I got no comments. I have a low B on my steel, and the amp handles the bass very well, including the boowah.

Thie third venue was C-Boy's in South Austin, a venture put together by Dale Watson and Ginny Kalmbach, the use to be the owner of Ginny's, now The Little Longhorn in North Austin. Ginny's though getting on in years, always shows up for chicken shit bingo. It is a cramped elevated stage with good sound reinforcement. I placed my amp behind me to the left and tilted. I was behind the fiddle and guitar, and everyone could hear me. I stuck with the same settings though my bass was a little boomy.

All in all, I like the sound of the amp very much. It is lightweight, built very well, and is easy to dial in the sound one wants.I did not use the direct out. The amplifier has a partially closed back for an open back, and I think that it makes it so directional. I'm not a sound engineer, and I'm guessing.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 7:53 am    

I’m seriously digging mine! I never would’ve believed it if I hadn’t tried it myself! Cool Cool

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 2:16 pm    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
I’m seriously digging mine! I never would’ve believed it if I hadn’t tried it myself! Cool Cool

That’s awesome to hear Rick. Thanks for trusting me! Haha

-t

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 2:16 pm     Re: Quilter TT-12 Review

Jon Jaffe wrote:
I have used the TT amp in three different venues the previous week, two were with sound reinforcement, and one was a stage mix. There were microphones placed on the speaker, and the amp I tilted on its legs. I did not receive any feedback on how the amp sounded from either my fellow musicians or the sound guys. Until curiously, on the third gig, a man came up to buy some merch, which was sitting beside me. And as he picked up a paid-for CD, he said, " My wife sent this to the steel guy." and handed me a $20 bill. I am approaching my seventh decade, and I think she was complimenting my sound, not my hat.

The first venue was the Broken Spoke, a legendary Austin honky-tonk with a horrible stage and no sound reinforcement. I placed the amp on a folding chair and arm's-length behind me. The dance floor could hear me well, but the amp is very directional, and the guitar player two doors down could not. My rig consists of a Kline U – 12, into an old Steel Driver, then to an active volume pedal and then the amp. With the tone switch in the middle, I had to goose the treble on the steel driver. I switched to the vintage setting, and that was excellent. Steel Driver flat, Bass 10 o'clock, Mid 9, Treble 12, Reverb 12.

The next venue was the White Horse. It is a ten-year-old club filled with dancers. They have sound reinforcement, but the stage is so low that the dancers muffle the sound. I placed the amp to my right and tilted. I used the settings described above. I positioned the amp so it would project leftward towards the guitar player and me. It sounded great to me, but I got no comments. I have a low B on my steel, and the amp handles the bass very well, including the boowah.

Thie third venue was C-Boy's in South Austin, a venture put together by Dale Watson and Ginny Kalmbach, the use to be the owner of Ginny's, now The Little Longhorn in North Austin. Ginny's though getting on in years, always shows up for chicken shit bingo. It is a cramped elevated stage with good sound reinforcement. I placed my amp behind me to the left and tilted. I was behind the fiddle and guitar, and everyone could hear me. I stuck with the same settings though my bass was a little boomy.

All in all, I like the sound of the amp very much. It is lightweight, built very well, and is easy to dial in the sound one wants.I did not use the direct out. The amplifier has a partially closed back for an open back, and I think that it makes it so directional. I'm not a sound engineer, and I'm guessing.

Nice detailed review Jon. Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad it’s working well for you.

-t

Jerome Harris

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2019 5:53 pm    

Travis Toy wrote:

Hey Mark. The cool thing about the 202 head is that it’s an amazing 6 string guitar amp. I get great lap steel sounds out of it as well. You can get a really wide range of sounds/tones out of it.

-t

Please pardon a question from a "standard" 6-string guitar player (I *own* a lap steel, but haven't spent nearly enough time in the shed with it to be able to claim that I "play* it Smile ).

I'm interested in the TT 12" for guitar use. I've been using an Eminence Lil' Texas in a small open-back cabinet (along with a Quilter 101 Mini Head or a Demeter TGA-1-180D "Mighty Minnie"). The Lil' Texas often sounds a little "peaky" in the upper mids for my taste (sometimes I have to use a parametric EQ pedal to dial that zone back a bit). Comparing Eminence's frequency response charts for the two speakers, I'm guessing that the TT might be a little flatter/smoother in the upper mids than the Lil' Texas, which I'd really like. Has anyone here (Travis?) heard both speakers, and care to compare their tones?

BTW, I play a pretty wide range of styles/genres, although much of it is jazz-related; I use various guitars, depending on the music (archtop w/ a humbucker; a Tele-clone w/Bill Lawrence stacked-coils--hum-cancelling but read the strings like single coils; a modded Hamer three-pickup solid-body). I want good clean tones from an amp (I use pedals for overdrive/distortion); most of my playing situations are "kinda quiet" to "moderately loud" (I've been using a different amp for louder gigs, although I want to check out the Quilter Tone Block 202 and possibly ditch the 101 Mini Head--having a lightweight rig that could cover some of the louder stuff would be great).

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2019 6:35 pm    

Jerome Harris wrote:
Travis Toy wrote:

-t

Please pardon a question from a "standard" 6-string guitar player (I *own* a lap steel, but haven't spent nearly enough time in the shed with it to be able to claim that I "play* it Smile ).

I'm interested in the TT 12" for guitar use. I've been using an Eminence Lil' Texas in a small open-back cabinet (along with a Quilter 101 Mini Head or a Demeter TGA-1-180D "Mighty Minnie"). The Lil' Texas often sounds a little "peaky" in the upper mids for my taste (sometimes I have to use a parametric EQ pedal to dial that zone back a bit). Comparing Eminence's frequency response charts for the two speakers, I'm guessing that the TT might be a little flatter/smoother in the upper mids than the Lil' Texas, which I'd really like. Has anyone here (Travis?) heard both speakers, and care to compare their tones?

BTW, I play a pretty wide range of styles/genres, although much of it is jazz-related; I use various guitars, depending on the music (archtop w/ a humbucker; a Tele-clone w/Bill Lawrence stacked-coils--hum-cancelling but read the strings like single coils; a modded Hamer three-pickup solid-body). I want good clean tones from an amp (I use pedals for overdrive/distortion); most of my playing situations are "kinda quiet" to "moderately loud" (I've been using a different amp for louder gigs, although I want to check out the Quilter Tone Block 202 and possibly ditch the 101 Mini Head--having a lightweight rig that could cover some of the louder stuff would be great).

Hey Jerome. I can’t speak directly on the Lil’ Texas speaker, as I have not used one myself. I can however tell you that several guys who have gotten my new combo have made it a point to tell me how great it works/sounds for 6 string guitar. If this interests you, below I linked a guitar based review of the 202 that my good friend, and one of the best players walking the planet, Shawn Tubbs just did. Definitely worth watching just to get a feel of what the 202 sounds like for guitar.

Also, loud/louder gigs definitely won’t be a problem with the TT combo. I think it will tear building foundations loose if you turn it all the way up.

-t

https://youtu.be/KQwLE8Klqno

Matt Waldrum

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2019 12:54 pm    

Travis Toy, Will you putting out a demo for this anytime soon, for steel guitar?