The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Robertson - RIP
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 12:24 pm    

My pal, forum member Larry Robertson died peacefully surrounded by family on September 22, 2019 in Nashville, TN.

I loved hanging out with Larry, playing, tinkering and talking about steel guitars. We spoke often after moved from Colorado to Nashville. He was a warm, kind, creative and positive man. I'm going to miss him.

I'll try to post some pictures.

From his obit published in Tennessean today:
https://obits.tennessean.com/obituaries/tennessean/obituary.aspx?n=lawrence-edwin-robertson&pid=193977644

Lawrence Edwin (Larry) Robertson

Nashville - Lawrence Edwin (Larry) Robertson, born December 1943 in Janesville, Wisconsin, died peacefully surrounded by family on September 22, 2019 in Nashville, TN.

Growing up in Wisconsin and Connecticut, Larry joined the Air Force in 1963. Following his discharge, he moved to Nashville in 1977 to follow his dreams of being a musician. Highlights of his music career include appearances on both American Bandstand and Hee Haw. He was in numerous bands up until the age of 73, with most of his best friends as musicians. When not playing guitar or keyboard, Larry was a corporate jet airplane mechanic with his favorite jet being the Falcon series.

He is preceded in death by his parents E. James and Anabel (Graves) Robertson. He is survived by his 2 children; Andrew (Nashville) and Anabel Atkinson, her husband Cam; granddaughters Elizabeth & Anne, and grandsons William & Charles Atkinson (Dallas) along with his younger brother, Steve (Moro Bay, CA).

He will be missed as a hardworking, good family man who treated everyone with respect.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 7:29 pm    

I had the honor of playing with Larry a few times and am honored to call him a friend. A great musician and a greater man. He was always willing to take the time to share his vast knowledge. I last saw him at the Dallas show in March. I will miss him. Godspeed Larry.

Bill Erchul

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 9:17 am    

I am saddened by the news of Larry's passing, as he was my first real pedal steel instructor. After I bought a used Maverick in Madison, WI, in '76 or '77, Larry gave me a few lessons and showed me the basics. I'm grateful to him for that. Condolences to Larry's family and friends.

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 4:09 am    

Wow... what a shocker! I met Larry a couple years ago at Steel Guitars Of Nashville in Hendersonville. He was always excited to talk about Steel Guitar and would bring in his Emmons S-12 Universal for me to tweak and just general maintenance. A real pleasure to talk with. Condolences, thoughts and prayers to family and friends. RIP Larry.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 8:15 pm    

Buck Reid wrote:
Wow... what a shocker! I met Larry a couple years ago at Steel Guitars Of Nashville in Hendersonville. He was always excited to talk about Steel Guitar and would bring in his Emmons S-12 Universal for me to tweak and just general maintenance. A real pleasure to talk with. Condolences, thoughts and prayers to family and friends. RIP Larry.

Thanks, Buck. We met through the forum in 2015. Larry hosted this impromptu gathering with Jim Bloomfield, Gary Reed and me.

L-to-R:
• Larry at his Emmons U12 PP.
• Jim Bloomfield ignoring his Mullen RP SD/10, instead captivated with Larry's D10 PP.
• I'm adjusting my Sho-Bud 6139.
• Gary Reed had just stepped away from his Sho-Bud S10.
Larry's Carter U12 and MSA Classic D10 are behind me, off camera. Four guys, seven pedal steel guitars in a 12x10' room. Laughing