The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Six String Tunings
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 8:09 am    

I am a pedal steel player who owns a lap steel (two actually). I have always just tuned my lap steel to open G like my dobro, but I am wanting to explore other tunings, especially C6 and E7. However, it seems to me that the styles of music I would like to play--western swing and '50s honky tonk--on these tunings was played on eight string steels. In my case, it also probably doesn't help that my mind is locked into ten-string C6 from pedal steel.

So, my question: am I wasting my time pursuing those tunings for those styles on a six-string steel?

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 8:44 am     Re: Six String Tunings

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
I am a pedal steel player who owns a lap steel (two actually). I have always just tuned my lap steel to open G like my dobro, but I am wanting to explore other tunings, especially C6 and E7. However, it seems to me that the styles of music I would like to play--western swing and '50s honky tonk--on these tunings was played on eight string steels. In my case, it also probably doesn't help that my mind is locked into ten-string C6 from pedal steel.

So, my question: am I wasting my time pursuing those tunings for those styles on a six-string steel?

Given that C6 is probably the most popular tuning for 6 string, and that you’re already familiar with the intervals, it seems like C6 would be a good place to begin experimenting.
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 3:35 pm    

I definitely don't think your wasting time. A lot can be done with 6 strings. Give C6th a try and E7th is interesting too but I prefer C6th CEGACE low to high.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 5:02 pm    

You can dedicate your life to G and never get to the bottom of it. Ask Jerry Douglas. You can dedicate your life to E7 tuning and never get to the bottom of it. Ask any of the amazing Sacred Steel players. You can dedicate your life to C6 and never get to the bottom of it, Ask Jerry Byrd.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 7:56 pm    

A6th works great for Western Swing...
C# E F# A C# E You can use the same strings as you have on C6th with a slight re-tuning on 3 strings

Jesse Valdez

Fiddletown, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 9:27 pm    

Interesting question, first time as a kid when I was learning "steel guitar rag" and got to asking my parents why I couldn't hit some of the notes, they told me it was cause I didn't have the strings or tuning to do it. I then quit for basically a decade out of frustration, and it took awhile to reignite interest. That being said, it seems that 7 strings basically encompasses what most "6" players play even though that 8th is great for big chords and what not. C6/AC with a high E will give you the option of plating with a dobro triad 5 on top, or 3-1-6 on the top, which both have their benefits. You can play a decent amount of country and western like this. As well E6/C6 will be the same but higher, if it's the Don Helms/Little Roy Wiggins really high pitched tone you crave.

With either setup, you'll be able to play a good number of licks but somethings will just not work out. I personally can't stand not having less than 7, but I started relearning on the 6 I sold before I bought my 8, and missing those 2 strings is definitely not holding you back from starting!

Last edited by Jesse Valdez on 26 Sep 2019 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 1:24 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
A6th works great for Western Swing...
C# E F# A C# E You can use the same strings as you have on C6th with a slight re-tuning on 3 strings

And it won't be completely alien to you as it's the same as 4-8 +10 on your E9 with A&B engaged).

Might help separate it in your mind from 10 string C6.

Also, I really like the 5th on top.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 1:32 am    

Thanks for all the good ideas. All I need now is some time to sit down and dig in. The whole reason for getting a second six-string was so I could have multiple tunings at hand.

Time to get to work!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 2:10 am    

I too was going to suggest A6 given your reference of Western Swing. But C6 and A6 are really fairly close and easily retuneable back and forth. If you know positions from C6 on pedal, you can get the A6 "shape" on C6 by having the 5th on top instead of the 3rd. Lighter gauge strings and higher pitch, so it'll likely sound a bit different, but one option...

Regarding the 6-8 string question, I love 8 strings but especially if you are talking about a straight C6 or A6 tuning, the extra two strings just extend your range. For certain tunings (B11, C13, and others) you arguably get more advantage of having extra strings. But 6 strings are plenty for C6/A6 in my opinion.

Dave Sky

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 8:40 pm    

If you like Open G try (low to hight) GDEGBD. I am enjoying it on a Weissenborn for solo playing.

Michael Castellana

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:26 am    

hi friends,

I've always kept my single knob B6 Ricky in C6 but was never very happy w/ string gauge/tension ... i love what's available but guitar always sounds/feels kinda' thin and taut to me. i recently found a 41' B6 locally and strung it up in D .. obviously guitar sounds a lot fatter and strings have a much nicer feel.

i wonder how guitar would sound and feel strung up as A6 (3rd on top) iow typical Byrd C6 but down a minor 3rd. wouldn't i be taking advantage of thicker strings and a more relaxed feel?

thanks,
m