The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just renewed my Paul Franklin Method membership - here's why
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:19 pm    

I just renewed my membership in the Paul Franklin Method for another year, and here’s why.

When I first signed up, I thought, man, that’s a chunk of change, but it would be worth it to study with a master. Broken down by month, it's really not that much. And, one of the things that convinced me to take the plunge was seeing other players I respect (including John McClung and Bruce Bouton) were students of the course. Even advanced players are always learning!

After a year as a student of the PFM, I have to say, my playing has improved noticeably. Using Paul’s exercises, and some that I’ve modified for my own needs, my relationship with the instrument has changed. Technique in both hands has improved. Speed and accuracy have improved. Even my tone sounds better, probably just due to the motivated “chair time” I’ve been putting in.

Playing the steel now kind of feels like putting on a favorite shirt. It’s not a fight with the instrument anymore; it’s a partnership. The fact that Paul is always adding new content like lessons and interviews (the Lloyd Green series is fantastic) keeps me coming back, but even the videos I’ve watched over and over still hold hidden gems every time.

But the unexpected hidden gem is the private Facebook group. It’s what lets students like me ask questions, post videos for feedback and critiques, and interact with other students of the Method. It’s a focused, supportive place, and I’m on it daily to see what’s going on in the world of PFM.

Besides his obviously stellar playing, Paul is also a genuinely nice human being. His love for the steel guitar is downright inspiring. I even got to hang out with him at a Time Jumpers show in Nashville, and he was a guest on my podcast Smile

After a year, do I think it was worth the money? Worth every penny! Here’s to year 2!

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:52 pm    

Bryan,
I am also in my second year and I couldn’t agree more! I am now inspired to put in so much more time and am gaining so much more knowledge. Paul could not be more friendly or welcoming and, the fact that he is so accessible for questions or critique of my progress is mind boggling!! He is also very complimentary of progress we have made. Hands down, the best money i have spent on learning pedal steel. I am also taking Pauls seminar in Dallas next week. Another wonderful opportunity to progress!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 5:53 pm    

I concur Bryan! The method is the best thing I've done for my playing by a mile! I fully intend to subscribe again in Juen when my year is up. And the year after that. And the next, and the next. .. pretty much you all are stuck with me in the group. Not only is Paul obviously an amazing talent and teacher, but the other classmates are all supportive and willing to share ideas and help you out. I think it is wonderful! Paul is as enthusiastic about the pedal steel and about helping his students as we are to learn!

Paul Carestia

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 6:16 pm    

I support everything Bryan wrote. Course is well worth the money. Students deserve the Master and Paul Franklin has created that opportunity for us all. I'm loving the course even though I consider myself a seasoned player after 50+ years behind this amazing instrument. I learn something every time I watch a lesson. The course is extremely well done and the platform for presenting it to us along with high quality filming and sound is excellent!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2019 9:08 pm    

Well put, Bryan. I feel the course is best for players with some experience, true newbies will probably find a lot of it over their head. But the content, presentation, wisdom and production values are all top notch, for sure.

Hats off to Paul and the Music Masters folks for tackling this big job and doing it so superbly!

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 6:10 am    

All I can say is "me, too!" I just happily signed up for my second year.

Paul's course already contains enough learning to last me the rest of my life, and he's always adding new information.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the DEPTH of the lessons. Even after you learn the main subject of a lesson, there's always an aside, a little demonstration, the way he uses the volume pedal, a particular bit of his rhythm playing something.... All you have to do is watch a little closer and practice a lot!

I should mention that I started as a complete newbie to pedal steel, though I've played several other instruments for many years. I have found it always challenging, but always doable. After a little over a year, I'm reasonably comfortable with the E9th neck, and getting closer to understanding how to play on the C6th neck.

It has been an excellent way to learn.

--Al Evans

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2019 7:00 am    

I too have moved into my second year and in Canadian dollars it does make you pause but second time around not so much as there is so much there What ever neck you choose.

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 4:04 am    

What Copedents is used in the course?
E9th
C6th

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2019 6:21 am    

Standard Emmons setup on both necks.

Here's a page with all of the information on the Course, a syllabus and a FAQ: Paul Franklin Method

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2019 5:06 pm    

What was the renewal fee?

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2019 7:40 pm    

I agree wholeheartedly Bryan - this is the best money you could ever spend on your musical journey ! I've been playing for 43 years and Paul has always been an inspiration - so it's just wonderful to be able to tap in to his techniques and thinking and the simple approach he takes to some fairly mind boggling stuff at times :-}

Just re-signed for year two as well !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 4 Apr 2019 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2019 1:47 pm    

Bob Bestor wrote:
What was the renewal fee?

Hi Bob-

First year is $575 in advance or $59 a month for 12 months.

Renewal is $349 in advance or $39 month for 12 months.

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 8:28 am    

I've heard a lot of great things about the Franklin course an Intend to purchase it as soon as i get my Music room set up with a TV to watch the course. My question is I'm fairly new to the PSG and was wondering which course to start with.Do I Start with the Basic $99 course or buy the $575 course? Not sure which to do.

Thanks, Mike

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2019 11:59 am    

Hi Mike-

The complete Method contains everything (and is being added to regularly) and offers access to the private Facebook Group that many students enjoy.

The Foundations course is a selection of Lessons from the complete Method and is a great way to get started. You can apply the Foundations' $99 enrollment price to the full Method at any time during the 12-month subscription period.

Mike Heavner

Fallston,N.C.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2019 4:48 pm    

Thanks John

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 8:27 am    

I really wish there was a lap steel course. Both as an intro and a course on its own. I may end up buying a psg but I would like to wind out the lap steel and it would be amazing to have PFs input on it.

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2019 12:10 pm    

We've got a great player and teacher working with us on a new Lap Steel course as we speak!

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 2 May 2019 12:22 pm    

I just renewed my subscription as well.

Gordon

Gilbert Lazar

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 9:02 pm     re Course

Simply the best course available and I renewed as well.
Superlatives would be an understatement .
It's cohesive and the building blocks are logical.
GIL

Brad Easley

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 1:40 pm    

Paul McEvoy wrote:
I really wish there was a lap steel course. Both as an intro and a course on its own. I may end up buying a psg but I would like to wind out the lap steel and it would be amazing to have PFs input on it.

Based on what I took in as a PFM student and member of the PFM fb group, I think Paul would say that most of the course content can be applied to lap steel as well. What he's really teaching is a way of thinking about the instrument far more than just how to use which pedals when. He teaches you to think of the music first (intervals, melody, harmony, etc.) and frequently references his own non-pedal teacher from his youth who emphasized the fundamental skills of steel (bar control, pitch/intonation, memorization, etc.). Granted, it is not geared directly towards non-pedal steel content, but almost everything could be translated into useful instruction for that instrument by a resourceful student.