The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Double Neck Non-Pedal 7 + 8
Robert Hale

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 3:04 pm    

7+8 Neck $1000 Case included.
I am helping to sell for a former student who is physically unable to play now.
I will forward your inquiry to her for direct contact and terms of sale.
Thank you, forum members.
Robert Hale
Mesa, Arizona 85204

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 9:45 am     Unusual setup

When this guitar was in vogue, Jerry Byrd was the top steeler in the world, in the minds of most players.

Jerry was noted to change tunings in the middle of a song often, believe it or not. So that became one of his awesome "signatures".

So it was that he invented the so-called C6 tuning (actually Am7-E C A G E C)). And that became the rage throughout the laptop guitar all over the world. IE: "I jes gotta have it!". Of course NO body could milk out of C6 what our JB could. May Jesus rest his precious soul. A dear friend. How I miss him.

As good as it was, Jerry made it better. Yet he was still NOT satisfied at this "ultimate" tuning. So he continued to try newer and newer tunings for most of his life.

He finally came up with the tuning that would embellish his C6; by raising the bottom C to a C# (C6/A7). But he still wanted one more tuning that would give him the MOST chords with a "straight" bar. But it could ONLY have 7 strings. NO less, NO more. He was adamant about this. And for good reason.

The tuning was called "Diatonic".

(Top to bottom) E C B A G F E. (Remember do NOT strum LOL!")

So he had Rickenbacher make him a guitar with C6 (8 strings-E C A G E C C# LOW A) on the bottom and his "diatonic", with 7 strings on the top neck.

But Fender AND Gibson wanted JB to promote their guitars also. That did not happen. Nevertheless they both made these guitars with 7 and 8 strings. And they sold them. A number bought them also, because Adolf Rickenbacher died, and his successor "Mr Hall" ruined the coveted "Rick" sadly.

Later Shot Jackson made Jerry a 7 and 8 guitar. that was donated to Scotty when Jerry passed away. Jerry played this classic until he died.

For whatever it's worth.

This guitar for sale, should satisfy any laptop player who wants to use those JB tunings or any other tunings.

I recommend this guitar. Gibson was a superb SG manufacturer when it was making laptops and consoles.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 7:25 am    

It's hard to tell from the one picture but this seems like a player grade price for what could be a collector grade guitar. If I didn't already have a Gibson console, I'd be scrambling to get this one. Interesting bit of history on the 7 string diatonic tuning from C Dixon. Does it have leg sockets?

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 10:17 am    

Yes it is worth considerably more than the asking price....there is one identical here beside me....if it was not this would be mine ....imho...best ...D...

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2019 2:07 pm     Worth?

I agree--it SHOULD be worth close to double what he's asking with a case..

But these are lean, lean times in the non-pedal steel world. It's a buyer's market, for sure. Let's just hope it doesn't stay that way and our instruments hold their value.

Someone's about to get a killer deal!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 9:28 am     Gibson

Does this have legs?

Michael Deering

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 9:42 am     gibson

Robert sent you pm and email w/o response